Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging

Options
  • 08-04-2006 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

How ho i charge my nicads if i have solderer my speed controler onto the batterys output? Do i unplug the speed controller from the reciver and charge through the speed controllers reciver plug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the 'pro' electric racers solder & de-solder each time they use a pack. Its a lot of hassle but they are 'pros'!!!:D

I had a few electric cars a good while back & I just made up a simple wiring harness so I could plug in/out the pack. I used futaba connectors at the time but you could use a better plug if you can find them.

There is a racer called MickB on this forum who is a 'pro' electric racer he would have all the answers.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

liamo333 wrote:
    How ho i charge my nicads if i have solderer my speed controler onto the batterys output? Do i unplug the speed controller from the reciver and charge through the speed controllers reciver plug?

Why would you go to the bother of soldering the battery connections to the esc? :confused:

Seems like a waste of time to me.
    I use corally tubes and connectors on my race car.
    These ones.
    europlug5vl.jpg
    Others use Deans Connectors.
    These ones.
    ULTRA-PLUG2.jpg

If you have two crocodile clips on the cables from your charger you could clip them to the ends of your cells AFTER unsoldering the wires.
    But.
    Seems like a total waste of time and effort doing that each time to charge them :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Don't solder speed controller to the battery.
    Do solder motor leads of speed controller to the motor (after you know which direction of revolutions the motor is expected to do.
    Solder connector plugs onto the battery.
    Solder matching connecting plugs onto the battery leads of the speed controller.
    Then you can unplug your battery to charge it, and later plug it onto the speed controller when getting ready to "arm" your model for use.
    The thin 3-way cable with a servo plug of the speed controller is plugged into the throttle inlet on the receiver and left plugged in permanently - if your speed controller has BEC written on it..
    (BEC = "battery eliminator circuit". )
    In this case no 4 cell receiver battery is required.
    If the speed controller does not have BEC written on it, a 4 cell receiver battery may have to be plugged into the battery inlet on the receiver to power up the receiver and servos..

Advertisement