Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a bike into an apartment block.

Options
  • 08-04-2006 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I have never lived in an a apartment before and hopefully within a couple of months i will be moving into my first home .
    I was wondering though does anyone know if theres a problem with bringing a bike into an apartment via a lift.
    I'm up in a penthouse so it's five floors up.
    I have a van ,but because the parking is outside I thought it best to settle in first and travel to the folks house to pick up the van.

Anyone know of any quibbs about it ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I used to bring by bike into an apartment I rented. I carried it up 3 floors via the stairs.
    You could try keep it clean(ish) so you are not dragging muck into the lift i.e. bounce the bike to shake off excess water and a weekly rubdown with a cloth to take off dried in dirt. The aim is to quash complaints about dirt before they happen.

What types of problems were you anticipating?
    While it it 5 floors up, you might can probably avoid most people by taking the bike up the stairs, on your shoulder. I'd expect that most people from the 2nd floor up will take the lift.
    I have a van ,but because the parking is outside I thought it best to settle in first and travel to the folks house to pick up the van.
    I didn't understand this sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

sorry about the van thing ,I meant that I'd rather cycle at the moment until I know how safe the outside parking is.

I'm presuming thieves will be lurking around because no one will know they aren't new residents.

EDIT: thanks by the way, the cloth thing is a great idea. At least i can spoof now and say ,I use to do it in my last apartment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I always bring my bike in with me. You know it's safe then. I remember one place i was in the care taker was tring to give out to me, i told him in no uncertain terms that it was not in the rules, and never had hassle of him after.
    5 flights would be a pian with a bike. Is it a big apparment block? The lift shouldn't be an issue really. Just be nice to people you meet, and anyway, a bike standing on one wheel shouldn't take up too much room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I'm not looking forward to the stairs myself.
    I have 2 bikes ones a rigid hardrock and the other a sirrus sport ,I think if i have to use the stairs i'll use the hybrid.
    After you describing the lift and it's size ,i forgot it mighten be a jumbo double bed size ,so i may use the stairs.

Thanks ,I hope i move in soon now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

Also watch for mineral-rich muck drips from the wheels. I used to keep my bike on the tiled floor of my apartment kitchen. When it was wet out it used drip small quantities of water which were full of brake dust or clay particles. Seemed innocent at the time but when I had to try and wash them off... Left a serious stain. Now I put newspaper under the wheel(s). Just a small tip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement