Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best detective duo in your opinion?

Options
  • 07-04-2006 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I for one am undecided. Like the style of Miami Vice, its fresh, sort of. Having said that I also think that Karl Malden and Michael Douglas in The Streets if San Francisco were briliant and Starsky and Hutch was a brilliant series too. And although very, very different and British those CI-5 guys were great as well, Martin Shaw and the other name escaped me.

So what do you think was/is the best detective duo on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

There were so many, back in the day, half remembered. This was on the radio during the week. You had:

Cagney and Lacey - saw an ep recently, thought it was very dark.

Miami Vice - Tubbs and Crockett, who were the '80s version of....

Starsky and Hutch - a bit before my time.

Streets of San Francisco - all I remember is "Act 1, Act 2, Act 3" coming up on the screen and then "Epilogue" at the end. Was that really necessary?

Dempsey and Makepeace - the English version. I think Dempsey was the woman.

And how could we forget Jake and the Fatman. Jake did all the work running around investigating crimes for the Fatman who just sat around being fat and feeding his dog (and presumably himself).

Not really duos, but classic '80s/early '90s: Matlock, who's client was NEVER guilty, and Father Dowling Mysteries, a crime fighting priest helped by a young nun. Ah those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

the sweeney were the men for sure.. rough as biscuits the way we like em

also columbo and his trench coat were a great team :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

My vote for the best goes to The professionals (cant beat that music) or the Sweeney.

The best american one would be columbo (duo cos of his wife) also The Rockford Files which is still watchable thesedays.

After them would be a silly american thing called the scarecrow and mrs king, - moonlighting or remmington steele - simon and simon.

*The worst ones ever would be dempsey and makepeace Hardcastle and mccormick or The fall guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Michael Knight and KITT were a great duo as well !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah yes, Michael Knight and KITT were a great duo!
    elurhs wrote:
    Streets of San Francisco - all I remember is "Act 1, Act 2, Act 3" coming up on the screen and then "Epilogue" at the end. Was that really necessary?

haha, couldn't agree more! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Streets of San Francisco was good minus to voiceover thingy.
    All that elurhs mentioned, though Miama Vice I never watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I second The Professionals. Gutsy, brave, 'professional' and sexy as hell. :)

Dempsey and Makepeace were good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Does anyone remember 'Hunter' on Sky One many moons ago. Now that was a great show! He had a petite female partner, whose name escapes me(Bonnie or Debbie or something like that). I was hooked on it as a young teenager. That and another classic called 'Riptide'. There were 3 guys on it and an orange robot! I also seem to remember they lived on a boat. Pretty sure the trio weren't detectives but PI's. One of them was the muscle of the group, the second was the ladies man and had a 'tache to support this claim, and the third was the nerdiest, wimpiest character you have ever seen - glasses, straight black, hair, pale skin, gadgets freak......he owned the robot.

Sky One in its early days was the ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

morgan freeman and brad pitt in seven...cheer up lads!

and sharkey and george...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

elurhs wrote:

Dempsey and Makepeace - the English version. I think Dempsey was the woman.

Makepeace was the woman

Det. Sgt. Harriet Makepeace (Harry)
    aka Lady Harriet Alexandra Charlotte Makepeace.................... Glynis Barber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Riggs and Murtagh in Lethal Weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dangermouse and Penfold tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Brisco County Jr. and Lord Bowler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

PJ and Duncan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Noone mentioned Simon & Simon from the early 80's.

Also The X-Files - Sculley & Mulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Moonlighting - Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

FatherTed wrote:
    Noone mentioned Simon & Simon from the early 80's.

Also The X-Files - Sculley & Mulder

I did Simon and Simon were neato ! havent seen that in about 15 or so years - would love to see it again though. Its a pity they both only went on to do more tv crap and not movies - but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Nunu wrote:
    Does anyone remember 'Hunter' on Sky One many moons ago. Now that was a great show! He had a petite female partner, whose name escapes me(Bonnie or Debbie or something like that). I was hooked on it as a young teenager. That and another classic called 'Riptide'. There were 3 guys on it and an orange robot! I also seem to remember they lived on a boat. Pretty sure the trio weren't detectives but PI's. One of them was the muscle of the group, the second was the ladies man and had a 'tache to support this claim, and the third was the nerdiest, wimpiest character you have ever seen - glasses, straight black, hair, pale skin, gadgets freak......he owned the robot.

Yep, remember them well. Rick Hunter's female partner (for the first few seasons anyway before she got married and left) was actually called Dee Dee McCall. And nearly every week on that show she would end up going undercover as a hooker at some point, for some strange reason! :D

By the way, can you remember Hunter's catchphrase? ;) (
    "Works for me!"
    )

As for 'Riptide', yeah, remember that well too. One of the guys (Joe Penny) went on to play Jake in 'Jake & The Fatman', as I recall. And what about the big, old, pink Sikorsky S-58 Choctaw helicopter they owned that always seemed to break down on them at some point in each episode. Can you remember what name they gave it? ;) (
    'The Screaming Mimi'
    ).

You're right, Sky One back in the early days really was the shít! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

S&H all the way!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Emma Peel & John Steed - The Avengers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Scarecrow and Mrs King. they used to take on badguys in a station wagon.

Father Dowling and Sister Stephanie :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seansouth wrote:
    Dangermouse and Penfold tbh.
    Gotta agree.

Sledge Hammer and Durrow "Trust me I know what I'm doing"

What was the name of the team where one was a malfunctioning robot ?

Maxwell Smart and 99. [ /me wants a 99 with chocolate on it ;) ]

And of course the classic avengers, Steed and Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hawaii Five oh - "Book him Dano":D

And the Sweeney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Simon&Simon.Perpetually bitching and moaning at each other.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

How about Hercule Poirot & Hastings or Sherlock Holmes & Dr Watson - two of the original detective duos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Chuck Norris + Shotgun

Walker Texas Ranger. You know it to be true!

Failing that - Mulder & Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sharky and George :D

3700173209701.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Nunu wrote:

Ahh hunter. Yeah use to love that, and fun the sized token chick (Dee Dee mc Call or something similar) anyway she wasn't important.
    Remember having my first real interaction with a girl as a kid while playing hunter and mc Call with some girl in the estate. Wonder if that would work as a chat up line now? Wanna play hunter and dee dee?
    Its still one of my best relationships to date. ahh the innocence of youth. Less baggage more hunter and dee dee.

Have to throw chips in there too, vroom vroom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Sharkey & George... crimebusters from the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

and sharkey and george...

when i read the thread title sharkey and george were the first thing to pop into my head but i couldnt remember if they were actually a "Detective duo" or not.... god damn tv rots the brain

Advertisement