Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to site - in rural Australia

Options
  • 07-04-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I've only just come across this site. I'm in rural Australia. Do many Irish/Australians post?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Heaps of people post here, Irish who still live in Ireland, moved to the US (like me) and all over the world. Welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There are plenty of travelling masses who post here - bunches of people who've been to/are in/are off to Australia as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm in Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Hi,

I am thinking seriously of leaving and going to Australia - I have been on about it for years now - but think its time to go before its too late. I was thinking Melbourne - just saw that a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about it.

Is there any advice you could give me about moving there? Whats the work like - (have a Degree in Computing). Is it cheap / expensive - whats the public transport like - or is it difficult to get a licence?

Thanks a million!

K

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i'll let you know when i move there! its where i am planning to go.
    which reminds me, must fill out my citizenship forms today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keedowah wrote:
    Is it cheap / expensive - whats the public transport like - or is it difficult to get a licence?
    Public transport is excellent in Sydney and Melbourne, better in Sydney, but Melbourne is still a damn sight better than Dublin.

Sydney has a great train system, and busses that run all day. After about 1 in the morning they are every hour, then about every 10 minutes form the city to wherever. Oh and don't forget the ferries. You can get a weekly Train/Bus/Ferry ticket for $32 (about EUR20), which will bring you anywhere inside a certain zone, if you go outside the zones you buy a ticket for a reduced price, to be used in conjunction with your weekly ticket.

Melbourne has the Tram system, which is good if you live on a Tram Line! Also the train System in melbourne is very good too, but both only operate to around midnight, which is a shame. A weekly Tram/Bus/Train ticket in Melbourne is $26 for a Zone 1 (most of the suburbs mentioned in the Melbourne Thread are in Zone 1, as is the city).

There is no hassle getting taxis in either city, and they are cheaper than Dublin too.

Don't know about getting a licence, but I think a full Irish licence can be changed to a full Aussie one wiht no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oulwan wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've only just come across this site. I'm in rural Australia. Do many Irish/Australians post?
    Welcome :D
    Where in rural Oz are you? I've been to NT and SA, hoping to go to WA (Perth) someday.

Advertisement