Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent body hair removal - who's done it?

Options
  • 06-04-2006 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a college student, so i amn't rolling around in money but i'm looking for a 'cheap' (preferably permanent) way of removing back hair. I wouldn't describe it as a furry coat as of yet, but theres definately more than a few hairs there and i'd much prefer to be rid of it.

Has anyone had this kind of thing done before? What was it like? How much did it cost and where did you get it done. Was it really permanent?

Also, are there any procedures/treatments out there to thin hair? There are other areas i'd like to thin ye olde hair covering down a bit, but if i went for complete removal, it'd just look wierd :P I was thinking of getting a beard trimmer and just regular pruning for those areas...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

as i understand, the only form of premanent hair removal is electrolysis. And even then it must be the type done with a needle. Anything else only has either temporary results or is merely a form of hair reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wax yer back, and trim the rest with a beard trimmer. Problem solved.
    Waxing's great, and the more you do it, the thinner the hair grows back, and the less you have to get it done.

You'd be surprised how many guys out there .. wax, shave trim etc.. most just don't admit it!

It's all about the grooming.. And it's more often than not appreciated by the other half..

Speaking from experience here.

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Is this just an excercise in vanity or a personal issue? Would it not be more suited to a more metro forum such as the fashion/appearance forum?
    I dont see where you say that it is affecting you in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thanks to radiotherapy, I now only have to shave one side of my face for life. Maybe you could try it on your back? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i thought that more you shave, wax or trim, the more they grow. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Do laser hair removal. Its faster and more effective than electrolysis. Initially expesnive but in the long term more cost effective.

Why do you need it to be permanet? Just shave it.

Mart_Max. That's an urban legend.

I dont see where you say that it is affecting you in any way.
    Thats because i didn't say. I know i want it done. I'd be hugely embarrassed if i were to go shirtless around the place, especially if anyone were to comment on it. Chest hair is fine, but not the backhair.

As for waxing, I was led to believe that hair grew back thicker/faster the more you got it done, which is why i wasn't really considering that as an option. Shaving wouldn't work cos i can't really reach my own back :P

As for laser hair removal, i saw quotes from EUR700 upwards . I can't really afford that kind of money at the moment. Also, which is better (in the long term): Electrolysis or the laser removal?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Laser is better than all of the other options. Especially if you have dark hair and fair skin. If its that expensive fly to the states or outside of Ireland. E 700 is bludgeoning.

No one does electrolysis anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

For a large area such as your back laser would be much better than electrolysis. Imagine a needle going into EVERY hair folicle for a few seconds and zapping each folicle.. Would you allow someone to do that to your whole back?! OUCH!
    If you have your back waxed, the hair will grow back slower and finer and after a period of time the hair stops growing back.. I have patches on my legs where hair doesn't grow as I've only ever waxed them. However if you shave or use hair removal cream, the hair will grow back within days and will grow back coarser as you're slicing the hair off at the thickest part (by the skin) and this is the part which becomes the tip of the hair. GROSS!

Go to a salan which does waxing/electrolysis/laser and have a consultation. They'll be able to advise you PLUS this is their job. I doubt you could ask them anything worse than they've already been asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭No_Regrets

I am woman and I just want to add a female voice to this. I don't get this male obsession with hair removal, of course, it is all about personal choice, but I for one find male body hair quite attractive and I would not feel very comfortable about a partner who wanted to be totally hairless. If you are doing it for yourself ALONE, then yes go for it, but otherwise I would think carefully about any drastic measures. As for laser, I would recommend this method if you choose to go through with it, but it is expensive. Good luck whatever you decide on!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Laser is better than all of the other options. Especially if you have dark hair and fair skin. If its that expensive fly to the states or outside of Ireland. E 700 is bludgeoning.

If that figure is for a course of laser treatments it would actually be a pretty decent one.
    You need a few treatments to keep it down and the hair needs to be very dark. Laser does not permanently remove the hair, just weakens it and reduces the growth. Legally it can be advertised as 'permanent hair reduction'. You will need a session once a year to keep it reduced too.
    No one does electrolysis anymore.

Electrolysis is permanent hair removal as it kills the hair follicle. I've had electrolysis (on my typically Irish unibrow) and found it not too painful, but most people find it quite sore.
    Over a large area like the back, it might not be suitable, but I have found the results fab and very quick.

Also, the effectiveness of any form of hair reduction will be impeded if you are too young. So, if you are in your early 20's, it might be a good idea to wait until your growth hormones settle down.

My advice - Wax for for now, weaken the hair, save up and get a few laser treatments when you are older, can afford it and the growth has settled down.

I have extremely hairy legs and very hairy stomach; lots of hairs, near an inch long each, and very dark, it was actually hard to see my stomach through it all. Anyways, waxing lasts much much longer than shaving and doesnt leave a stubbly feel, of course waxing takes longer than shaving though. From my own experience my girlfriend liked my body much more after I waxed/shaved it off.

I've had laser hair removal on my back 6 treatments for €2000 thats around the average price ive checked and you will need at least six. It was agony each time quite a lot of blood, a lot worse than waxing. The pain will depend on how many hair follicles you have, I had a lot. Pain is a sign the follicles are dieing though so hope for it. As for results, Im not silky smooth but about 80% reduction a lot better than it was. One problem though my upper arms are quite hairy too so it doesnt blend in well. That will happen you will get picky towards the end but thinking back to the beginning its a huge improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm as a gorilla and I wouldn't mind getting. I'm not working at the moment so the prices for the permanent hair reduction can be a real put off.

The difference between the permanent hair reduction and electrolysis is the PHR can remove a bunch of hair at once while electrolysis does it one by one.

Hopefully after the new year I'll be able to get some done before summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

the cheapest place for laser is the laser centre in hume street. I'm having it there at them moment.....but not on my back : )

its 125e for one 20minute session....thats cheaper than anywhere else i checked....you'll need about 6 and you can pay each month so its not a bulk payment.

Laser is the only way to go...you wont regret it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

the cheapest place for laser is the laser centre in hume street. I'm having it there at them moment.....but not on my back : )

its 125e for one 20minute session....thats cheaper than anywhere else i checked....you'll need about 6 and you can pay each month so its not a bulk payment.

Laser is the only way to go...you wont regret it...

Do you know the name of the place? I would like to look them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Seeing as you're basically broke I heartily endorse the Philips Bodygroom.
    You mentioned a beard trimmers, well that doesn't work, but this does. Even hard to reach places like your back. It's designed that way.

It's only about 30 quid, the same as a beard trimmers and you can actually use it in the shower. As someone mentioned about the upper parts of their arms were hairy and didn't blend after getting the back done, well this will sort that out too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Shaving only makes the hair grow back thicker and faster. That and you will get itchy stubble which can be really irritating

The poster who had sucessful electrolysis is luck, most salons in Ireland use a less effective method and so in general it is totally ineffective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

mart_max wrote:
    i thought that more you shave, wax or trim, the more they grow. :confused:
    With shaving that is the case, with waxing, no. I reccommend waxing.

Advertisement