Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male PMS

Options
  • 06-04-2006 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I was speaking to a friend of mine in this morning and he advised me that he was depressed all weekend sort of like male PMS, now I also go through this for a couple of days each month, I just feel miserable, irritable, and down. I hate having anyone near me, its driving my wife nuts she thinks she has done something to me and I have to explain that she has done nothing which makes the tension worse.

Does anyone else suffer from this or am I just been paranoid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some people can be effected like that for several reasons.
    It could be that they get moody when thier gf/wife/partner gets moody or
    in the run up to the full moon.
    The moon's gravity pulls all the earths water arround causing tides and the human body is 80% water.
    It could be that your just run down and need to look at eating better if it persists and it becomes a bother talk to your dr about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

That might make sence, about the moon and the water ..... I dont think its anything to do my wife been moody as I usually start it. and as far as speaking to a doctor my wife is my doctor and she doesnt know what the issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't get paid every month do you? I certainly get a bit down when I have no money!

Gordon wrote:
    You don't get paid every month do you? I certainly get a bit down when I have no money!

:confused: explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

the Guru wrote:
    I was speaking to a friend of mine in this morning and he advised me that he was depressed all weekend sort of like male PMS, now I also go through this for a couple of days each month, I just feel miserable, irritable, and down. I hate having anyone near me, its driving my wife nuts she thinks she has done something to me and I have to explain that she has done nothing which makes the tension worse.

Does anyone else suffer from this or am I just been paranoid.

Honestly it is probably something else, like diet or stress at work. You don't have a menstral cycle so it ain't PMS, but there could be some other thing at play. Does it happen the same time each month or at different times. Does it happen a few days after something, like a bit night out or a sport or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

I know it sounds nuts but the moon thing makes sense to me.

When my parents first got married my mum's mother-in-law warned her about my dad being moody around each full-moon. My mum thought this was ridiculous but over the years it has proved to be spot-on!

Every full-moon my dad becomes hell to live with! So much so that my mum will check the calendar to kind of forewarn herself of when he'll be a pain in the arse to live with!

We used to joke that he was a werewolf! :)

Honest, I know it sounds silly but it's definitely true that a full moon effects my dad and so I'm sure it must affect other people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is no evidence to suggest that the moon affects human moods.

It's gravitational pull will effect large volumes of water, but it's not going to do anything to the tiny ammount of water in a human body. And why would the gravitional pull of the moon be any stronger in a full moon?

Just because two things may happen at the same time doesn't automatically mean one is causing the other.

I think blaming your emotional problems on something such as the moon is avoiding the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

IT crowd anyone?

and you just need to have some you time

or something

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

the Guru wrote:
    :confused: explain
    When the end of the month comes before your next paycheck arrives, I admit it's a tenuous link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

It's gravitational pull will effect large volumes of water, but it's not going to do anything to the tiny ammount of water in a human body. And why would the gravitional pull of the moon be any stronger in a full moon?

Well, whether there's any evidence or not I believe it to be true in the case of my dad - I had to put up with the bad moods at full moons enough for all the years I was living at home!

Although I admit I'm usually a very sceptical person when it comes to anything like this, so I see where you're coming from.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Low testosterone levels affecting mood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

What do you mean no evidence? There is even a word for it, lunatic.

I have severe problems sleeping when there is a full moon, I can stay awake the whole night with my mind racing and willing myself to sleep. It gets so frustrating that I almost want to cry as it approaches 6:20 when I have to get up and I haven't slept a bit.... I can see why some people would tick out completely.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    What do you mean no evidence? There is even a word for it, lunatic.
    The original meaning of that word is purely based in folklore.

There are lots of mood disorders that operate in cycles. As I said, just because two things occur at the same time, doesn't mean that one is causing the other.

I'd really suggest talking to a doctor if suffering from such problems. Blaming it on the moon simply can't be healthy.

The original meaning of that word is purely based in folklore.

There are lots of mood disorders that operate in cycles. As I said, just because two things occur at the same time, doesn't mean that one is causing the other.

I'd really suggest talking to a doctor if suffering from such problems. Blaming it on the moon simply can't be healthy.

Ah so you checked it in wikipedia I see.

knowledge existed before that semi-fantasy site was created you know.
    Most folklore has a basis in reality, the moon has some strong effects on human mood. I'm not suggesting that that is the problem the OP has but it is a real possibility.
    There is no question that the OP should not visit the doctor, but if semi-medical questions are being fielded on a notice board then people can throw allsorts of crackpot BS at it in an uninformed and non-professional manner.
    In any case my personal experience is that the moon does effect the mind and can do so quite strongly and strangely enough it is worse when I sleep directly under a roof as opposed to on the ground floor of a multistory building, as if more shielding helps block the magnetism.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Ah so you checked it in wikipedia I see.
    Subscription to New Scientist magazine, actually. But that has nothing to do with my understanding of the word 'lunatic'. It certainly isn't a medical term.

I'm sure it's possible that the moon can act as some sort of psychological trigger for some people. But it's all purely internal, the Moon itself doesn't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

jrey1981 wrote:
    Low testosterone levels affecting mood?

This or something similar would have been my first guess.

As far as I am aware men can suffer from various hormonal imbalances as well. Much more likly when they are younger, but, it not unheard of in men of all ages.

I know that I myself go through patches where my moods change massively, however in my case its not or at least doesn't seem to be a monthly thing, but, more an yearly thing. I find that I tend to get down around the time of sep to march each year and come out fighting again march to aug. I used to think this might have been todo with the seasons, but, I noticed the same thing while I was in Oz for a year and there seasons are reversed?

Im not a doctor or anything so I don't have any real knowledge on the subjuct just thought I add my 2 cents and my personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Says you.
    People who are affected by it will say otherwise.
    It can be hard to get a handle on it but once you do you can prepare yourself for it and track the effects psychological or otherwise.
    There is a handy taskbar program that can help with tracking the moons changes.
    http://infra-azure.org/lunabar/index.html

Blub2k4 wrote:
    In any case my personal experience is that the moon does effect the mind and can do so quite strongly and strangely enough it is worse when I sleep directly under a roof as opposed to on the ground floor of a multistory building, as if more shielding helps block the magnetism.

I just read back on this and am wondering if I need to wear a tin-foil hat to bed hmmmmm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I know it sounds nuts but the moon thing makes sense to me.

When my parents first got married my mum's mother-in-law warned her about my dad being moody around each full-moon. My mum thought this was ridiculous but over the years it has proved to be spot-on!

Every full-moon my dad becomes hell to live with! So much so that my mum will check the calendar to kind of forewarn herself of when he'll be a pain in the arse to live with!

We used to joke that he was a werewolf! :)

Honest, I know it sounds silly but it's definitely true that a full moon effects my dad and so I'm sure it must affect other people too!

Yup. Happens my aul fella too

Cheers folks for all your feedback, maybe it will be one of those things I will never know unless I get professional help, I dont think it's that bad at the moment, for a $300 a hour doctor to tell me I have a mild form ofCyclothymia :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html
    explores the lack of scientific proof for theory of full moon influence.
    If so many studies have failed to prove a significant correlation between the full moon and anything, why do so many people believe in these lunar myths? Kelly, Rotton, and Culver suspect four factors: media effects, folklore and tradition, misconceptions, and cognitive biases. A fifth factor should be considered, as well: communal reinforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

are you taking any recreational drugs

No don't touch anything except for beers and daiquiri's

I've actually always said that men go through "that time of the month" but without all the ickiness associated with it.

I go through the exact same thing, where I hate everything, everybody and all I want to do is go sit down in a room by myself doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I've actually always said that men go through "that time of the month" but without all the ickiness associated with it.

I go through the exact same thing, where I hate everything, everybody and all I want to do is go sit down in a room by myself doing nothing.

I went through a period like that ... from about 13 years old to 19 ... :D

Wicknight wrote:
    I went through a period like that ... from about 13 years old to 19 ... :D

Ahhh... hormones, ya gotta love 'em

I went through a semi-depressed state from basically age 10-18 and I still am somewhat affected by it at age 20. But I'm doing a lot better now, thankfully :). I say semi-depressed because I wouldn't consider it as being fully depressed.

Advertisement