Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wood for carving rhino table?

Options
  • 06-04-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to get started on a project to make a table similar in look to the attached image, but in wood. In terms of what sort of wood to use for carving such a piece, what would you recommend, and where would I go about finding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sheesh, you'll need a mammoth sized chunk of wood for that! I'm not too up to scratch on my wood yet so I can't really guide you on that I'm afraid.

What exactly is the project for and what tools will you be using?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

larryone wrote:
    Hi, I am looking to get started on a project to make a table similar in look to the attached image, but in wood. In terms of what sort of wood to use for carving such a piece, what would you recommend, and where would I go about finding it?

Hi Larryone,

It really depends on a few things , regarding the ideal timber for you

1. Are you a novice carver, or do you have some experience.
    The easiest timber for a novice is woodcarvers lime. It is very forgiving , and cuts extremely well in all directions. Oak , Elm , Chestnut ( Horse ) are all excellent timbers as well for the more experienced.

2. What tools have you at hand for such a large carving.
    Large pieces like the one you intend would fall into a woodcarving / sculpture.
    And the normal way for an experienced carver to remove the waste is usually a small chainsaw. But I would NOT RECCOMEND this method for you, as I do not know your full skillset. And it is an extremely dangerous technique in unskilled hands. So a large gouge and mallet for you.

The best place for your timber requirements in my opinion is Lisnavagh timber project in Rathvilly

kadman:)

Just on removing the larger pieces, there are things, they look like angle grinders but have a special wheel thingy in them that can chop away at wood fairly well. I've never used one but I saw one at an exhibition thingy (ffs, I'm terrible with detail, sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    Just on removing the larger pieces, there are things, they look like angle grinders but have a special wheel thingy in them that can chop away at wood fairly well. I've never used one but I saw one at an exhibition thingy (ffs, I'm terrible with detail, sorry).
    You're thinking of an Arbortech carver, I think. See here for details.

I've also seen similar blades for fitting to an angle grinder that actually are just a small peice of chainsaw blade wrapped around a circular metal disc, but I think the Arbortech blades are probably easier to sharpen, and look a little less prone to breakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

kadman wrote:
    Hi Larryone,

It really depends on a few things , regarding the ideal timber for you

1. Are you a novice carver, or do you have some experience.
    The easiest timber for a novice is woodcarvers lime. It is very forgiving , and cuts extremely well in all directions. Oak , Elm , Chestnut ( Horse ) are all excellent timbers as well for the more experienced.

2. What tools have you at hand for such a large carving.
    Large pieces like the one you intend would fall into a woodcarving / sculpture.
    And the normal way for an experienced carver to remove the waste is usually a small chainsaw. But I would NOT RECCOMEND this method for you, as I do not know your full skillset. And it is an extremely dangerous technique in unskilled hands. So a large gouge and mallet for you.

The best place for your timber requirements in my opinion is Lisnavagh timber project in Rathvilly

kadman:)

Thanks for the advice kadman, I'll have a look at getting some woodcarvers lime. I did a tiny bit years ago in school, but I havent touched it in a long time. I have done a very small rhino in ice, but it has since melted (supprise supprise). Basically I was looking at a slightly different technique for sculpture that I think will work best with wood. I'll probably be able to get out to rathvilly easily enough. Is there anywhere nearer west wicklow that anyone knows of that be able to sell me such a significant ammount of woodcarvers lime?

• Advertisement

That's exactly the thing I'm talking about Alun:) Looks pretty handy for roughing out.

Kadman, I've never used lime before (as far as I know), I know you say it's the easiest to carve, but in your opinion, do you think the end product would be better in a different wood even if it meant a few more days carving or is Lime top marks all round? How much do you reckon a chunk that size would cost too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

That tool looks interesting...

I did a google image search for woodcarver lime, to see what the wood itself actually looks like, etc. I think it'd be ok for this project.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

cormie wrote:
    That's exactly the thing I'm talking about Alun:) Looks pretty handy for roughing out.

Kadman, I've never used lime before (as far as I know), I know you say it's the easiest to carve, but in your opinion, do you think the end product would be better in a different wood even if it meant a few more days carving or is Lime top marks all round? How much do you reckon a chunk that size would cost too?

Hi Cormie,
    Lime is definitely the best all round timber for carving for a less experienced carver. It gives you the best opportunity to refine your skills , and get great detail with your carving. Of course as you get better, any timber is suitable for any carving, as long as you respect its characteristics and limitations.

Colour wise Lime is a pale coloured timber, similar to sycamore. Not a lot of grain pattern, but you don't need a striking grain, as it may take away from your carving. It can also be stained to any desired colour.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Definately try the arbotech blade for a angle grinder, extremely fast and efficient way of removing timber. I'd suggest Lime aswell for this job.

Thanks Kadman and Qwerty:) May have to invest in an arbotech blade when I get some money:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Actually I just took out the leaflet I got from the RDS show last year and the website for the tool is http://www.kaindl-woodcarver.com/. I wonder what the difference between that and the arbotech are, and which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Qwerty? wrote:
    Remember to bear in mind that that's just for the blade. You'll need a suitable angle grinder as well.

Advertisement