Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK, what exactly is SIPTU's problem....

Options
  • 06-04-2006 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

.....with the Ryanair online checkin?

Is this not something that will make travelling through that sh1thole just a little bit easier?

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Erm, context?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Not sure if the specifics but apparently security staff in the airport were turning away passengers who had the Ryanair self-printed boarding cards from the online check-in.
    Saw it in the paper a few weeks ago, dunno if it's since been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

They were talking about it this morning on the radio. It is not resolved. DAA are going to the labor relations court to try to work it out.

Apparently SIPTU are looking for concessions in unrelated areas before they will allow the new system to be implemented. Apparently it was rolled out in other European airport with no problem.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Ryanair are only offering online checkin to Cork from Dublin anyway. It's not available from Gatwick at all. As a regular Dublin-Gatwick user I'm quite disappointed.

BendiBus wrote:
    Ryanair are only offering online checkin to Cork from Dublin anyway. It's not available from Gatwick at all. As a regular Dublin-Gatwick user I'm quite disappointed.
    Disappointed that Ryanair have not started it yet or disappointed that even if they had SIPTU would not allow it to work?

MRP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    Disappointed that Ryanair have not started it yet or disappointed that even if they had SIPTU would not allow it to work?

MRP

Disappointed I can't use it. Speaking as a passenger, I don't care what or where the problem is, I just want to use the service.

BendiBus wrote:
    Disappointed I can't use it. Speaking as a passenger, I don't care what or where the problem is, I just want to use the service.
    It seems like a good idea, very good for customers alright.

Does anyone actually know what their objection to it is?

MrP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

SIPTU probably want more money for doing less work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've not flown since they introduced this, but wouldn't they need to scan the self printed boarding passes to check for authenticity at the entrance to the security area? Not that the 'real' boarding passes are exactly forgery proof, but maybe that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

MrPudding wrote:
    It seems like a good idea, very good for customers alright.

Does anyone actually know what their objection to it is?

MrP
    They are quoting "security concerns". For some reason Ryanair and the DAA are happy to allow passengers print off their own boading cards. The AP have been consulted, as have customs. However SIPTU claim that they are not satisfied, as they have not been "consulted" on this.

I assume it's the usual "change in work practices" V "how much for us" argument that siptu usually come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Flying from Toronto to Ottawa and back a few months ago I used a printed BP and went straight to the gate without being scanned. I see the point though that that allows airside access if you have a photocopier to more than one person (or reprint the BP).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

dowlingm wrote:
    Flying from Toronto to Ottawa and back a few months ago I used a printed BP and went straight to the gate without being scanned. I see the point though that that allows airside access if you have a photocopier to more than one person (or reprint the BP).
    From what I can gather this issue of photocopying would happen whether you get your bp pre-printed in the airport or pre-printed at home. There are security measures in place at the moment to address that. And yes I realise that currently airport issue BC's are on a certain type of cardboard with a certain texture etc... But any "terrorist" worth his kalishnakov (sp?) could allow for this.

The bar code on your BP is unique for that flight. If you are not caught at the security check, you will be caught at the boarding gate. As for the issue of getting "airside" in Dublin Airport without a verified boarding card, recent(ish) security checks have proven that that's not really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Trampas wrote:
    SIPTU probably want more money for doing less work.

I dont think this is it. There has long since been huge hostility against Ryanair by Trade Unions against Ryanair for their continual refusal to recognise unions, even where a lot of staff were members.

Of course the real culprit is the government for not bringing in union recognition mechanisms similar to that introduced by the UK Labour party in 2000, where basically democracy prevails - if the majority of staff vote to join a union, the company must recognise it. Its believed that the reason for not bringing in such a law is the result of heavy pressure from employers who make their presence in Ireland conditional on the absence of such a law.

Of course if the trade union body in Ireland were really honestly looking for better workers rights in Ireland they would be campaigning for this, but the fact that they are not to me suggests that they are only interested in their existing (and rapidly shrivelling) membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Alun wrote:
    I've not flown since they introduced this, but wouldn't they need to scan the self printed boarding passes to check for authenticity at the entrance to the security area? Not that the 'real' boarding passes are exactly forgery proof, but maybe that's it?

Surely it is irrelevant where they scan the boarding pass or where it is produced so long as it happens before the person boards the aircraft? If someone photocopies the boarding pass (or prints it twice), two people can’t travel on the same check-in serial and this fraudulent duplication can be picked up in the scanning process, wherever it takes place. The closer to the aircraft the scanning takes place the better. The aviation world has been running on internet self-service check-ins for years without a problem (outside of Ireland). The printing of the boarding pass in your home or office is no different to printing it at the airport.

Airport security is a joke, while they continue to sell glass bottles of alcohol and other stuff to people immediately prior to boarding an aircraft. The same idiot airports are generally happy to confiscate one’s not very weapon-like gillette mach 3 from someone travelling with hand baggage only. Or force one to remove one’s laptop computer from its carrying case in an appearances of security game. The identity of someone is irrelevant. A glass bottle of gin can be a serious weapon. And can be bought at most airports after passing the so called security check. Most convicted murderers boarding an aircraft probably only want to get from A to B. The focus must be on what materially serious weapons people are carrying and not to close one’s eyes on airside purchases. Even better, if countries avoid making enemies, the hijacking risk probably won’t exist at all. Ryanair seem to have no problem with internet check-in at continental European airports.

probe

Sorted at the LRC. Security staff will operate the system under protest!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0411/ryanair.html

Advertisement