Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway-less LAN voip links

Options
  • 05-04-2006 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Our HQ office is linked to a nearby remote office by only a wireless lan connection and I want to put a PABX telephone set over there.
    Can I use two basic analog VOIP adaptors i.e.
    http://www.voipsupply.com/index.php?cPath=96
    to convert to voip going across the link?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You should bridge your network across to the remote site using wireless and then yes you can plug IP phone's or ATA's in on each side and dial from one IP address on your network to the other IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chelbin

The two sites are bridged so they are effectively on the same LAN.
    Do i have to use IP dialing? Can't I use the original analog extension number?
    What I want to do is unplug an analog handset in the main office. Plug in the ATA instead. Connect the LAN port of that ATA to the LAN. Then bring the analog handset to the remote site and connect it to another ATA which is also connected to the LAN (at the remote site).
    When dialing the original analog extension number in the main office, the handset should ring in the remote office?

chelbin wrote:
    Do i have to use IP dialing?

In this scenario yes. ATA's normally work by registering with a VoIP provider or with an IP PBX like Asterisk. It's the IP PBX that does all the work - the ATA's are just there to convert analogue voice to digital data. The ATA's are then just like extensions on the IP PBX. In your case there is no IP PBX in the picture so you need to dial the other ATA directly using its IP address.

One option would be to register both ATA's with their own account from a VoIP provider using PAYG accounts. This would give you 2 extension numbers on the VoIP provider's IP PBX and you can then dial internally between them for free using the extension numbers provided to you. You could also setup your own IP PBX on your LAN using Asterisk. It all depends on what you're really trying to achieve. If you're actually looking to integrate this stuff with your existing PBX then that's a whole different ball game altogether!

Depending on the distance that you're looking to cover perhaps you just need a long range cordless phone setup?

thanks, I think was incorrectly assuming the ATA to be a true two way analog<->IP converter.
    On the other two options, the distance is 1-2km, can u recommend long range cordless unit/provider?
    What equipment is involved in the PAYG option? Would the voip extensions just get an external national number, if so we'd be paying PAYG local call rates for any dialing to or from those extensions right?
    thanks

chelbin wrote:
    What equipment is involved in the PAYG option? Would the voip extensions just get an external national number, if so we'd be paying PAYG local call rates for any dialing to or from those extensions right?

No both extensions would have their own "internal" number on the VoIP provider's system. Calls between them would be free. Make sure that your wireless link is solid and bear in mind too that voice traffic between the extensions will be travelling to/from your VoIP provider over the Internet unless you setup your own VoIP server in-house.

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote:
    No both extensions would have their own "internal" number on the VoIP provider's system. Calls between them would be free.
    what about calls from the traditional extensions to and from the voip ones, what happens there?

chelbin wrote:
    what about calls from the traditional extensions to and from the voip ones, what happens there?

As the first 2 ATA's (let's call them Ext Y and Ext Z on the VoIP provider's system) are not connected in any way to your PBX then you wouldn't be able to ring them yet from your in-house PABX unless you get geographic numbers assigned to them.

If your in-house PABX has free analogue extension ports (e.g. Ext A & Ext B) then you could connect up devices like the Grandstream 488 or Sipura 3000 to give you a dialtone from your VoIP provider when the internal users dial Ext A or Ext B). This way you could then just dial the VoIP provider's extensions as Ext Y or Ext Z). You'll need 4 PAYG accounts altogether at this stage with your VoIP provider.

Advertisement