Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressing spots.

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First off, I know there are things worse than getting spots, however over the last few weeks Ive been getting horrible spots around my chin and under my mouth, every few months it happens, but I get so depressed when they appear and dont feal like doing anything, anyone else ever get these? any good solutions? I drink plenty of water etc, Im thinking maybe its stress, Im not working at the momment and its getting me down,and with these spots the thought of going to an interview realy gets me down. aaaggghhhhhhh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

What age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Speaking from experience, go and see your GP.

Over the counter stuff such as Clearasil etc. only does so much. I had a re-occuring outbreak a few months back, went to my GP and he subscribed Tetralysal (Tetracycline) for 6 months, 2 a day for the first two weeks and 1 a day after that.

Just over 3 months now, and things have drastically improved. My brother was on the infamous Roacutane for a while and it worked for him. So the very best advice is to discuss it with your GP, and depending on the severity, he'll decide what to do.

Wash your face morning and evening with some face wash or whenever you may be sweaty after playing sports etc. Try not to scrub too hard or you'll irritate the skin, just nice and gentle. And don't pick at your face either!

If you're male and shaving, dry shaving is supposedly good for people with acne. I dry shave and find it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Based on the topic I thought this thread was going to be about somewhere in the midlands.

Anyhow, as general rule of thumb I find sauna's and steam rooms excellent for keeping your skin clean - obviously combined with a healthy diet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Had this myself when I was young. Painful acme all over my face, neck and back. It can be pretty depressing at times, because it hurts, and you know you don't look well, and people are facious about that sort of thing.

Sadly, it's almost certainly homones. But, there's a couple of very simple things you can do to help yourself. Such as not touching them (this is the hardest thing to do). Not just not picking them, but not touching your face or neck with your hands, at all. Don't even prop your head up with your hands, just don't touch. It's the hardest thing to do, but also the most effective.
    You should also shave daily, with a wet razor, and don't use old blades. Washing your face with unscented soap two or three times a day will help too.
    Watch your diet. Don't eat too much greasy food (chips, pizza) or chocolate, they all make it worse.
    And feel free to use a shop anti-spot stuff like clearasil.

Wait for a few months, and if you are actually doing all this, and not getting results, go to your GP and get some weaker anti-spot treatments and a referral to a dermatologist, which usually takes a few months. If you're still having trouble by then, he can perscribe you some strong stuff, but that really is a last resort because those treatments have some pretty nasty side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

not sure if this applies to everyone but i tend to get this kind of breakout when i've been having too much to drink :o its to do with your liver and how it can't process certain things (or amounts). would you consider doing a detox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

When i read the title first i thought it said "Deporting Spouse" :o

Tea-Tree oil is also quite good for keeping them under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Go straight to your GP. There are lots of extremely effective treatments for acne, there is absolutely no need for you to suffer it. It is very cureable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

yep totally agree ive been on by-mycin for a couple of months now seems to be working and like you i would get huge ones on me chin and around my mouth not pleasant at all. if your shaving then use an electric one, use a gentle face wash like simple or summat like that, tea tree oil is good at treatin em. if you go on anti biotics just be patient it'll take a while before you notcie a difference. avoid perfumed aftershaves and yeah drinking a lot doesent help especially when your on the tabs. drinking loads of water and taking multi vitamins can help a small bit. change the pillow covers regularly also

stress is a big cause of them too now that i think about it, and having spots will make you more stressed. this took me a good two years to get that way of thinking out of my head and be positive bout the way i look, true people can be a bit crap about it but you cant let it get to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

this problem is easy to fix.

if it is bothering you the solution is simple.

an antibiotic such as minocycline or tetracycline available from your GP will have your skin sparkling in no time. well maybe 3 months.

just remember to not take it at the same time as drinking milk\iron preps, and take it on time every time and it will work a dream.

guaranteed. and don't think you are acting like a bitch taking them cos your not.

oh and if the doctor tries to spoof you off by giving you the topical(put on skin) version don't take it.

you want the oral tablets. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Another tip. Don't use any after shave or balm that contains alcohol as it will irritate the skin. There is plenty of alcohol-free balms on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

How is your diet?

I know if I eat alot of chocolate I get spots all over the place. Usually on the back of my shoulders for some reason or the side of my neck.

If you eat alot of crap, trying improving your diet! You do drink lots of water which is good. Do you drink lots of soft drinks too? Try and cut down on things like chocolate, crisps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

sportswear wrote:
    this problem is easy to fix.

if it is bothering you the solution is simple.

an antibiotic such as minocycline or tetracycline available from your GP will have your skin sparkling in no time. well maybe 3 months.

just remember to not take it at the same time as drinking milk\iron preps, and take it on time every time and it will work a dream.

guaranteed. and don't think you are acting like a bitch taking them cos your not.

Not true. Works for some people. Doesn't work for many people. Worth a try though OP. But theres no such thing as guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd agree with a previous poster when I say it's probably a diet and general health issue if it's around your chin and mouth. Definitley to do with too much drink and poor intake of Vit C, Vit A. go jogging and that will clear out the skin...I'm not a big fan of these Acne drugs anyway..even though i was riddled with them for years.

(All above is nonsense by the way if your covered from head to toe in spots..only talking about if it's isolated around the mouth.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Look, the reason I asked what age you are? Is that I got very bad spots about the age of 16/17 and tbh they did really clear up properly untill I was about 19/20. Even, now after been under some quite bad stress I got some nasty patches and I'm 26. However, I have a ruotine now and I have great skin, not only do I rarely get spots, but, my skin is nearly one of my best features or so the girls keep telling me :D

The thing is that I just kept drinking loads of water and used a savlon type cream on them which seemed to work quite well. Where as one of my friends went to the GP and while the medication helped him with his spots he now has some visable scaring as the medication dryed his skin quite badly, but, everyone is different. So your age and serverity of the spots would play a big factor in what you should/ shouldn't do.

Here are few things I fonud very helpfull. If you don't need to shave every day then don't. Try shaving every second day or less if you can get away with it. After shaving don't let your skin dry out, after shave blam or better still a prorper face mosturiser (I find my mums or sisters to ace!) should be used after shaving while the pores are still open. This will help stop your skin drying which can actually end up making your body produce more oils to compensate. Also, warm water to open the pores when cleaning and cold after to close them again. Then after leaving the mosturiser a while to soak in, try using a little after shave which will then in turn reclose the pores and help stop dirt and the like from getting clogged in. Also, make sure that you always shave with your beard ie the direction of growth, as shaving against it can cuase in grown hair which will cause havoc with your face and pores. As for electric razors some people I know sweaer by them, but, I always find/found after using an electric razor that I get spots and this is still true today. Again everyone is different.

All in all when I was younger bad spots made me fell bad, but, now with plently of exercise, plently of water and mosturiser I find I rarly get spots and remember that things like choclate, coke and other crap that you put in your body will all have an effect on your skin, energy levels, and general health. Oh and one last thing make sure to get plently of good sleep as I also found and still find lack of sleep or stress will bring spots very quickly.

I hope that some of this is helpfull and I really do hope that they clear up for you soon :D

Advertisement