Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemingway?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I didnt study English in third level (or much in second level) but I know what I like.

I like Hemingway. (i think he is my favourite) I have read A Moveable Feast, The Old Man & the Sea and a farewell to arms. I find his writing exact, concise, direct to the point. In short he tells it like it is.

However, I find it very hard going. Takes ages to get through. If I can try to explain I dont enjoy reading his books its more of an exercise or task (like homework). I have for whom the bell tolls at home and cant face it. Its like I want to read it but I am not not physically or mentally ready at the moment. Wierd, eh?

Also, as he writes about his own experience, I think he comes across as unsympathetic, arrogant, major a**hole. In short, If I met him and after met one of my friends who said to me "I heard you met that Hemingway fella, whats he like"

I would respond "He is a F****** Dick****!"

Does anyone else think like this about EH?

What are your opinions of Hemingway anyway? (That rythmes:D )

Motm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

A moveable feast is stunningly self-serving and is pretty much a hachet job on Scott FitzGerald, pretty sure much of it has been discredited as the writings of a bitter man who knew he had very little life left.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I read For Whom the Bell Tolls a few years ago, partly to figure out if there was a connection between it and the Metallica song. ;) Did enjoy it - don't remember it being too tough to get through.. but I was doing alot of commuting so reading in big chunks probably helped keep concentration up.

Towards the end of Uni I hid in the library and started flicking through another book of his... the one where all stories are male dominated... or lack females... cannot remember what it was called... about a BullFight and some other stuff. It was interesting at the time but I had to rush away and finish a thesis so think I dropped it back on the shelf.

Must read the rest of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You might mean the book of short stories called "Men Without Women", it's well worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sharona

I find Hemingway much easier to get into than FSF, not entirely sure why but Hemingway's style of writing I suppose might somehow suit my style of reading more.

If Moveable Feast gets you addicted to the idea of Paris, pick up The Flaneur by Edmund White...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

BossArky wrote:
    Towards the end of Uni I hid in the library and started flicking through another book of his... the one where all stories are male dominated... or lack females... cannot remember what it was called... about a BullFight and some other stuff.
    Would that be Death In The Afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Would that be Death In The Afternoon?

It may have been that or the one that the previous person purposed... will check it out.

Advertisement