Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the Story Straight.

Options
  • 05-04-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

I thought that even toddlers understood that when telling porkies, consistency is everything. Irish Rail don't seem to have picked up on it that.

This morning my 0645 from Portlaoise was delayed getting in to Heuston, by around 30 minutes. The announcer explained in the course of the usual apology (do announcers in Heuston do anything other than apologise?) that this was due to a signal failure at Newbridge. Five minutes later the same announcer is explaining to the passengers from the delayed Galway train, that it was due to a train failure in Newbridge.

I always kinda suspected that they just make these excuses up as they go along, but is this confirmation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

civdef wrote:
    I thought that even toddlers understood that when telling porkies, consistency is everything. Irish Rail don't seem to have picked up on it that.

This morning my 0645 from Portlaoise was delayed getting in to Heuston, by around 30 minutes. The announcer explained in the course of the usual apology (do announcers in Heuston do anything other than apologise?) that this was due to a signal failure at Newbridge. Five minutes later the same announcer is explaining to the passengers from the delayed Galway train, that it was due to a train failure in Newbridge.

I always kinda suspected that they just make these excuses up as they go along, but is this confirmation?

I hope your aren't so pedantic with everything that goes on in your life. The 'announcer' could have easily been indirectly referring to signaling failure when he gave a more general description to passangers as 'a train failure'. After all any kid will tell you a 'train' set consists of trains, tracks, signals, platforms etc..,

Chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Maybe, but then again, maybe I just expect accurate explanations from a service provider that I pay a lot of money to every year when their service falls below expectation.

If you use Heuston much, you hear an awful lot of apologies over the PA - late boarding, delayed arrival etc etc. I wonder how much effort is put into reducing the need for these apologies, rather than just repeating meaningless insincere apologies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe, but then again, maybe I just expect accurate explanations from a service provider that I pay a lot of money to every year when their service falls below expectation.

Maybe they were giving you the information as they had it at that moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Both announcements were correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Pray tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Pretty detailed to be honest, nearly everytime a train I was waiting on was delayed you just get the standard voice giving "operational problems" as an excuse. I mean come on, operational problems could mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

civdef wrote:

The 0630 from Carlow (which is the train just before yours, I think?) had trouble closing the doors, so we were told. Took about 10-15 minutes at each stop to get going again. I did also notice the arrow to Newbridge that arrives about 7ish (don't know exactly when) didn't arrive until nearly half-past, either.

Advertisement