Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You've Noticed From Season One

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Im rewatching Season 1 in bits and pieces and noticed in different episodes that Jack and Locke both use the phrase "dont tell me what I cant do" on seperate occasions and it struck me as intentional by the scriptwriters.

There's plenty Im sure we've missed from the first season but we'll catch upon seeing it again.

Any more clues you've noticed?

I'll post more as I see them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Jack and Locke both use the phrase "dont tell me what I cant do" on seperate occasions and it struck me as intentional by the scriptwriters.

I remembered seeing that myself and it has to be intentional however they dont say any more about it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Does anyone else sometime that people are looking way too deeply into how things are written in lost.

Like i mean no offonce to anyone but i think that everyeon is just looking too hard to find things that just aren't there

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Does anyone else sometime that people are looking way too deeply into how things are written in lost.

No. If anything we're not looking deep enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

Yeah i noticed that between jack and locke. I think they have very similar personalities only with different beliefs. They don't like to be told what they can't do and they can't respect each others reasons for why they are on the island.

I hope this relationship between jacke and locke developes futher because there was some greats scenes of tension between them in season 1. Near the beginning of season 1 you can see how they start off and that they will refuse to agree with each other later on.

After watching some of season 1 i noticed in the pilot episode that kate says that she saw smoke behind the valley on the first night, i was just thinking is this the smoke that the tailies lit on the first night. Anyone confirm this, its just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Could well be, although it might have been from the cockpit as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah i suppose, but i don't think their was any smoke coming from the cockpit when they got there.

Also where the hell has the "security system" gone? We haven't seen it in ages. It seems to only guard certain areas of the island. Like it didn't go near the tail end crash site, it was always just around were the initial crash site is and the black rock region.

It was bucketing rain when Jack, Kate and Charlie were on their way to the cockpit so maybe this put out any fires that were there.

US viewers only -
    The map from "Lockdown" mentions Cereberus activity only in certain parts of the island so maybe it has a limited range and can only operate around one of the Dharma stations? No doubt we'll see it again by the end of the season. Maybe Season 2 will end with another hatch lockdown, only this time black smoke will start pouring in through the air vents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, after "The other 48 days" where Rose's husband was on the walkie-talkie to Boone, I got my DVD of Season1 and flicked it to the relative episode and I turned on Subtitles and the response as the plane falls: "We're survivor of flight 815" is spotted, even in the French subtitles!

agamemnon wrote:
    It was bucketing rain when Jack, Kate and Charlie were on their way to the cockpit so maybe this put out any fires that were there.

I just wanted that cleared up, but now that begs the question, why didn't the survivors see each others smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Silage wrote:
    I just wanted that cleared up, but now that begs the question, why didn't the survivors see each others smoke?

Remember the fireworks at the start of series 1. Did the tailies not see them? They were fired from high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

How long was syid gone on his trip before bumping into the french wonmen? I mean it seemed like it only took a day or two for the tailies to travel around the island.

QuadLeo wrote:
    Remember the fireworks at the start of series 1. Did the tailies not see them? They were fired from high ground.

Yeah i forgot about that. I thought when i saw that that there wud be at least some response from something on the island to them fireworks but there wasn't. The tailies didn't see them the others didn't respond to them, not even the security system i think.

And another thing i noticed in season 1, in "walkabout" locke saw the security system, he most definately saw it, and now there's no mention of it. I always thought this had something to do with locke wanting to get pulled into the hole at the end of season 1 but no further elaboration was made and i don't think it will be this season. But we're still only hhalf way through season 2, so anything can happen! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

The smoke i presume is the tower of black smoke that the others make before the go out to raid the camps. If Kate saw it on the first night it would have been when the tailies were getting attacked and eko killed two of the others.

As regards fireworks, did you see the whole island at the end of series one from the raft's pov, it's just one huge mountain! It would be tricky to see things from the other side. That's also why they travelled by the sea alot when crossing the island.

Yeah i suppose, dam that show covers its tracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

There's loads of stuff I've started to notice... I had completely forgotten about the Black Rock, (which we still need an explanation for) and the Polar Bear,

One thing though that's bugging me... Remember when Sayid is trying to pick up a signal with his Tranceiver (sp?) and someone hits him over the back of the head?

I saw that episode on E4 recently and I can't remember who did it... It might have been Locke, but can anyone remember his explanation for doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sauron wrote:
    I saw that episode on E4 recently and I can't remember who did it... It might have been Locke, but can anyone remember his explanation for doing it?

I was actually thinking about that a little while ago too. It was definately Locke that hit him, but I also can't remember why!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

dang it now it's annoying me. qz, steveland? sent you a pm on the 8/7/05 about it though...

no i'm not a stalker it's here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3023965&postcount=36

edit happens in the greater good afaik.

edit 2 hey cool 2000 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

It was Locke who hit Sayid over the head and destroyed the reciever. He tells Sayid it near the end of season 1 the day after Boone dies to regain his trust. He tells him the reason for it was that he didnt think they should be rushing towards a radio signal that says "it killed them, it killed them all..".

I reckon Locke doesn't want to leave the island though since his life is so messed up back in the real world so there might be other motives for doing what he did then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Chumpski wrote:
    It was Locke who hit Sayid over the head and destroyed the reciever. He tells Sayid it near the end of season 1 the day after Boone dies to regain his trust. He tells him the reason for it was that he didnt think they should be rushing towards a radio signal that says "it killed them, it killed them all..".

I reckon Locke doesn't want to leave the island though since his life is so messed up back in the real world so there might be other motives for doing what he did then.
    I donno. I think he obviously does as there are big lumps of black smoke and whispering freaks trying to kill them. But he might just enjoy the element of mystery on the island...

Locke definately wants to stay. Back in the US, he couldn't walk and his life was full of so much sorrow and misery he was like a character from Eastenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I noticed in the S1 episode on E4 yesterday that when Micheal goes to collect Walt from the nanny after his mother dies, the lobby of the house is octagonal (Dharma logo), and so is room he finds Walt in. Maybe I imagined it though or it's completely irrelevant :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Kolodny wrote:
    I noticed in the S1 episode on E4 yesterday that when Micheal goes to collect Walt from the nanny after his mother dies, the lobby of the house is octagonal (Dharma logo), and so is room he finds Walt in. Maybe I imagined it though or it's completely irrelevant :confused:

Well spotted ;) . It's also mentioned in the Ultimate Theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Louisiana

agamemnon wrote:
    Locke definately wants to stay. Back in the US, he couldn't walk and his life was full of so much sorrow and misery he was like a character from Eastenders.

i agree, he's out hunting no and being a hero.
    all of the main characters lives were messed up back at home, you could almost say they'd all LOST their way........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

After Claire and Charlie were taken by Ethan, Locke and Boone tracked them for ages. When it was dark, Boone decided to turn back so Locke threw him a torch. When the torch landed on the ground with a metallic thud, they found the hatch.

Now they they've opened the hatch, it seems to be a short distance from the beach.

Huh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

timeout wrote:
    How long was syid gone on his trip before bumping into the french wonmen? I mean it seemed like it only took a day or two for the tailies to travel around the island.

... and what happened to his original plan of mapping out the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

TarfHead wrote:
    After Claire and Charlie were taken by Ethan, Locke and Boone tracked them for ages. When it was dark, Boone decided to turn back so Locke threw him a torch. When the torch landed on the ground with a metallic thud, they found the hatch.

Now they they've opened the hatch, it seems to be a short distance from the beach.

Huh ?

Aren't there like 2 entrances? One could be close to the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

IIRC .. the one Locke & Boone found was the one they excavated which was the one they blew open.

Also, when they discovered the hatch, they were IIRC halfway up a slope yet the excavated hatch is below level ground.

Maybe I need to go back to that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

this is season 2 and deals with the 'security system' or cerburus and eko, i cant remember which episode so, not to ruin anyones fun, spoiler tags away
    when eko is confronted by the smoke, it reaches out and almost touches him, the camera pans around through the smoke, inside it, it flashes and sparks. on some(if not all) of the flashes, you can see a person. A mad theory i just made up: the smoke is computer controlled, and was comparing him to a list of faces, to see if he was wanted by the operators of the smoke, or to be removed from the island.

because he wasnt taken leads me to believe
    A) the smoke and the others have different objectives
    B) the smoke is controlled by the others...
    heres a comment relating to 2X20, so watch out.
    ...from their hatch
    and because he killed two of them, he was no longer worthy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

the faces in the smoke were those of his brother and friend, who died in the plane crash

Advertisement