Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Reception (terrestrial)

Options
  • 05-04-2006 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Any tips on setting up an antenna/aerial for terrestrial TV reception on an elevated site not far from Killybegs? Would prefer a loft aerial, as the TV wiring has been terminated in the attic in anticipation of a sattelite dish, and the roof is hard to access.

Any tips or comments? What kind of aerial and where to get it? The local electrical shops are suggesting I contact a local "aerial man" but I'd like to do this myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Contact Irwin Electrical or Cable and Accessories in Letterkenny - you'll get the advice and the equipment much cheaper.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Which side of Killybegs? There is parts of Fintra, where signals are fantastic. For these, a Colour king in the attic would suffice. But signals do vary dramatically around Killybegs. I think the best bet would be to take a look at your neighbours aerial array (if on chimney and see what kind of aerials they have). Or if their aerials are in the attic, call in and ask about their BBC/ITV/C4 reception.

As a general rule, you'll need 3 aerials:
    1 UHF aerial for NI terrestrial channels (either a broadband Grid, or a Group A yagi)
    Usually you'll need a UHF masthead amp and PSU (get one with VHF bypass, to combine the RTE VHF aerial).
    1 VHF aerial for RTE1 and RTE Two
    1 UHF Group C/D aerial for TV3/TG4
    1 A/E combiner to combine C/D aerial with NI aerial.

After that then, you'll need your distribution amplifier, either a 6 way or 8 way depending on the number of drops you have.

Advertisement