Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering bellybutton surgery

Options
  • 05-04-2006 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a handsome guy with a very athletic body. Only thing is that I'm ashamed to show it off because I've got a weird belly-button.

It's like a normal innie, but for whatever reason there's a knotty lump of flesh inside, it's not massive or anything, doesn't pertrude past my belly, but it's visable. I believe this type is called an "inny-outty". I'm the only one in the family to have one, everyone else has got perfect innies (and they don't show me any compassion either!)

I feel this bit of flesh could be cut off pretty easy, it's not like a umbilical hernia or anything, just a stray bit of flesh. I've heard stories of this piece of flesh just "falling off" on its own accord from other people. But I doubt that's going to happen to me as I'm already 19.

I know I'll probably get responces telling me I'm vain or to have more confidence. I know it's not so bad myself. Just I really take care of myself and have a fab body already and feel that 1 little imperfection brings it down a few notches (I think innies look really good). Aswell a lot of people haven't seen outies before in their life, and I don't want a girlfriend to see her first outtie just before we're about to have sex! I was just wondering if anyone else has had this percedure done, or if anyone here has had thier outie fall out. All advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Mr. Outtie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

If your body is as 'fab' as you say it is your potential girlfriend wont be stopping to look at your bellybutton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

if you're so caught up on the matter and it does effect your mental well being I don't think there's any point telling you you're a bit vain or whatnot...

get it done! I imagine the risks are minimal and it will make you feel better, what's the big...

gud luck

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've got an inny-outy, never had a problem with it. Why conform to the norm?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have a friend who pressed her outtie until it eventually became an innie but she was still quite young at the time. You may be stuck with what you've got though and I guess it all boils down to the person who made it and how they decided your fate.

(The only real advantage of an innie is that you can can keep salt in it allowing you to dip your chips when eating in bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

el tel wrote:
    guess it all boils down to the person who made it and how they decided your fate.

As far as I know all umbillical cords are cut a few inches out and left to rot naturally and how they heal has nothing to do with how they're cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

If it bothers you that much then just get it removed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That's kinda sad. You say you're handsome with an athletic body, so why should a slightly strange belly button be a problem
    Its not like guys wander around showing their midriffs anyway!

Get over it. I had a girlfriend once with an inny-outty, and it was another thing that made her unique. Why not be unique too?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

i have an inny-outy all of my family are innies and to be honest i prefer mine as civilian target said we are unique along with the million others. mr outy is right its how the cord heals when its cut that decides how it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

not trying to be cruel but seriously, get over yourself. are you for real? bellybutton surgery.....bloody mtv.
    Mr. Outty wrote:
    I don't want a girlfriend to see her first outtie just before we're about to have sex!
    look, she'll be consentrating on the other 'outty' to much to notice.

I just want to have the perfect body, why should I be dragged into mediocracy due to such little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Go to your gp dude and get sorted with a surgeon reccomendation.

Don't mind any people telling you to get over yourself (It's often a phrase used by the bitter/ugly).

It's essentially no different to someone who has a really beautiful face, but has a big nose and wants a nose job to complete the look.

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mr. Outty wrote:
    I just want to have the perfect body, why should I be dragged into mediocracy due to such little thing.
    Its an impossibile goal. Once you get one thing fixed you will see the next "little thing" dragging your body into mediocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I have had surgery on my outie before on my umbilical hernia, because of complications and while they were at it they asked if I would like to get the ol' switch-a-roo (outie -> innie) to which I agreed. Long story short, had to go for repeat surgury (some gut had come spilling out again :D) and I still have my outie.

However, I am glad I still have it, it seperates me from the crowd and I have found that people actually take an interest in my button! Has not happened in a while, but I used to be asked to put it on show to be pressed, pillsbury doughboy style :p! Which I obliged as I am fairly athletic also.

(Warning, weird sentence incoming)
    Girls have wanted to touch it, and my current GF does all the time. :eek:

Also, on top of my outie, I have a funky "melted brunch"-esque birthmark on my stomach. Still have no qualms about my stomach and don't mind "whipping it out" :p.

Everyone has imperfections; you think anyone even notices this guys belly-button? (Except people reading this thread, as they will obviously look, although I think they will still notice the hair first; WTF?!).

I would say leave it, if your body is everything you describe it to be then inside your button will be the last place someone is looking (as you say it does not pertrude over your stomach). Embrace your uniqueness and be grateful that it is not something more serious (I'm sorry, but to say that a bit of skin is dragging you into mediocrity is a ridiculous statement).

In the end, it really is up to you, there is my story though and I am sticking to it; do with it what you will.

PS. I am 19, had surgury ~7 years ago. I realise my story is slightly skewed as I have an outie, where as you don't really, still, I was pressured into this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Perfection is a matter of opinion, your body maybe one thing, it appears your mind lets you down though, get it done, won't make much difference really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do you not have to go to a plastic surgeon for this type of thing? Your GP would hardly recommend surgery for you if it's not a health thing, would they?

If it's the former, head to the golden pages; if it's the latter, off ye go!

Doubt anybody else will notice your belly button, it's not something most people think about, unless it's like... green... or... TALKS, or somethin like that. But if you're that into it, then...

DaveMcG. Yeah I'd have to go see a plastic surgeon as there's nothing medically wrong with me. So it'd probably be alot of $$$ and hassle.

SmellyIrishMan. As you said yourself, we have different belly-button types, and i'd require a completely different type of op. Mine would be much smaller and less risky procedure. Heck I could probably cut it out myself. Cool story though.

PS. Where the heck did you find that pic? LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Mr. Outty wrote:
    troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mr. Outty wrote:

No such thing as the perfect body dude. The only person who can think you have the perfect body is you. It's impossible to have a body that will appeal to everyone in the world, and only that would make any body perfect.

Regardless of how sh*t hot you think you are, there will always be someone, somewhere who just doesn't see it.

You can either run into that person someday, and make a d*ck of yourself in the process as you expect them to think you are "perfect" or you can add some decent values to yourself, think about yourself in the right light and as a decent person and you'll be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Also, on top of my outie, I have a funky "melted brunch"-esque birthmark on my stomach. Still have no qualms about my stomach and don't mind "whipping it out" :p.

My g/f has that on her arm. Aparrently it is from the limbs being in contact too much in the womb during development or something! Can't sayit ever bother me, or her for that matter!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ah yeah, doesn't bother me at all. Interesting explaination, athough I prefere the blissfull ignorance rasher/brunch theory!

Pic I got from google images.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Man, if that's your biggest worry in the world, consider yourself very, very lucky :)

Advertisement