Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best albums this decade?

Options
  • 04-04-2006 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Bitch all you want about Hip-Hop nowadays,there has been some kick ass albums out this decade...

AZ-Aziatic
    Cormega-The Realness
    Nas-The Lost Tapes

Add on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Goldie Lookin Chain - Safe as F*ck. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Chamillionaire - The Sound of Revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

One Be Low - S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
    Edan - Beauty & The Beat
    Ugly Duckling - Taste the Secret
    Chops - Virtuosity
    Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
    Cody Chesnutt - The Headphone Masterpiece (not exactly hip-hop i know, but fits in with the genre i reckon)
    DJ Andy Smith - The Document II & III
    DJ Numark - Hands On
    Hieroglyphics - Full Circle
    KRS One - Keep Right
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Mark Ronson - Here Come the Fuzz (for something a bit more commercial)
    MC Paul Barman - Paulelujah
    Mos Def - The New Danger (has really grown on me)
    Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
    Slum Village - Fantastic, Volume 2
    45 Midgets - The Crunch
    The Herbaliser - Something Wicked This Way Comes
    The Nextmen - Personal Golf Instructions & Not The Nextmen
    Underground Airplay Version 1

Think that'll bout do me for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

DangerDoom
    Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof wallets/ fishscale
    Jay Z - Blueprint / L'album Noir (The Black Album)
    DMX - The Great Depression
    The Roots - Th Tipping Point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

That Slum Village nearly put me to sleep.Really dull,really average MC's. Production is consistently above average from Dilla as well.

Sound of Revenge had some nice tracks but album of the decade?

Suprised nobody has mentioned Nas Stillmatic,Common's last two,Ghost's Supreme Clientele and even Grandmasters.:eek:

Still got the best taste in music on this forum...:D

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote:
    Suprised nobody has mentioned Nas Stillmatic,Common's last two,Ghost's Supreme Clientele and even Grandmasters.:eek:

I'm sure i'll offend the masses here by not bowing down in reverance at the mention of Nas' name but I never really could get into stillmatic. i find it overrated, illmatic was a classic, stillmatic just seemed good because of the rubbish he'd been putting out between the two albums. it just didn't do it for me.

And common's last two albums are without doubt his weakest.

Supreme clientele is quality, i thought it came out bout 98/99 thats why i never mentioned it, but i was obviously wrong.

When you say Grandmasters do you mean Flash's Official Adventures? it was pretty good, but i've heard better mixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Umaro wrote:
    Chamillionaire - The Sound of Revenge

I'm sure i'll offend the masses here by not bowing down in reverance at the mention of Nas' name but I never really could get into stillmatic. i find it overrated, illmatic was a classic, stillmatic just seemed good because of the rubbish he'd been putting out between the two albums. it just didn't do it for me.

In truth though,and while I think there are problems with the album(The Flyest for example),any album with Your Da Man(would have been his greatest track imo if there was a third verse),One Mic and Stillmatic on it is already a four mic disc.Thats without 2nd Childhood,Every Ghetto,Rewind etc.Its also his most consistent album outside of Illmatic and the as good Lost Tapes.

Besides,I Am and IWW were certainly not rubbish.Both albums,particurly I Am,were stripped of some incredible tracks like Amongst Kings.

I certainly don't see how One Be Lo,KRS(!),Mos Def,Dilated Peoples(!!) or Slum Village(!?!!!!)albums are as good as it or even can be entered into this thread.
    And common's last two albums are without doubt his weakest.

Sorry about that,I meant Like Water For Chocolate.Which I presume was released this decade.
    When you say Grandmasters do you mean Flash's Official Adventures? it was pretty good, but i've heard better mixes

GZA and DJ Muggs.

Sunz of Man's Freedom of Speech was damn good as well,albums like that need to be bought retail.

true some of those mentioned are not the greatest albums ever, and they may not be to everyones taste but the thread is not discussing the best album of the decade, but best albums, and i enjoyed every one of those i listed above. i won't deny that Nas has released some fantastic music, he just doesn't, aside from illmatic, figure to prominently in my music of choice

Each to his own,but I wouldn't figure any of those albums as being some of the best this decade.From an MC point of view,the majority you listed are average or just plain boring imo. :shrug:

Not like The Lost Tapes?

• Advertisement

aside from slum village i wouldn't really class the other names listed as average MCs, and i wouldn't necessarily be listening to some of them purely based on mic skills. SV's album is chilled out and thats what i listen to it for, mos def's doesn't score anywhere near Black on both sides as far as MCing goes, but i think its a quality alternative album. Other than that i don't think theres a bad MC listed, but as you say each to their own.

I haven't actually got the Lost Tapes. as i mentioned before, i've been a little disillusioned with Nas music. But people seem to rate it on here so maybe i should give it a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Orizio wrote:
    That Slum Village nearly put me to sleep.Really dull,really average MC's. Production is consistently above average from Dilla as well.

Sound of Revenge had some nice tracks but album of the decade?

Still got the best taste in music on this forum...:D

ha, nice and modest there but i as a matter of fact own that title

aside from slum village i wouldn't really class the other names listed as average MCs, and i wouldn't necessarily be listening to some of them purely based on mic skills. SV's album is chilled out and thats what i listen to it for, mos def's doesn't score anywhere near Black on both sides as far as MCing goes, but i think its a quality alternative album. Other than that i don't think theres a bad MC listed, but as you say each to their own.

I would put the Dilated Peoples as worse MC's then even Slum Village.But then they do have some incredible production.

Am I the only one that finds J Dilla's production just boring and sparse?
    I haven't actually got the Lost Tapes. as i mentioned before, i've been a little disillusioned with Nas music.

Why?
    But people seem to rate it on here so maybe i should give it a listen

Its a 5 mic album imo.Really need to get it.

jedi mind tricks - violent by design
    cormega - the realness
    jean grae - attack of the attacking things
    murs - 3:16
    masta ace - long hot summer
    atmosphere - god loves ugly
    atmosphere - lucy ford
    c-rayz walz - limelight
    gangstarr - moment of truth
    ghostface - supreme clientelle
    mf doom - operation doomsday
    madvillain - madvillainy
    cannibal ox - cold vein
    aesop rock - labour days
    big pun - capital punishment
    blackstar
    scarface - the fix
    jay - blueprint
    nas - stillmatic

Nice list but again no Lost Tapes?I don't get why this album gets looked over by Nas fans.My Way,Drunk By Myself,Doo Rags,Fetus,Nothing Lasts Forever etc?Classsic material.Disposable Arts is arguably better then ALHS as well.

Was Blackstar made this decade?

its from 98 or 99 isnt it? ha i went for a more last ten years list...i dont have disposible arts so cant compare the two. yeah lost tapes is pretty good but its my list so doesnt make it :D

some im adding

dangermouse and jemini - ghetto pop life
    el-p - fantastic damage
    mr lif - i phantom
    atmostphere - you cant imagine..
    felt - tribute to christina ricci
    non phixon - the future is now
    roots - tipping point
    de la soul - grind date
    dilated peoples - expansion team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Orizio wrote:
    I would put the Dilated Peoples as worse MC's then even Slum Village.

:eek:

Really Slm Village and Dilated People both consist of some excellent production along with some mediocre MC's.I never thought that fact was in question really.

Advertisement