Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ip Phone System For Work

Options
  • 04-04-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi - I have been asked to spec and price a IP phone system for work (approx 50 users) and was wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with any of the providers currently set up in ireland.
    This would be a complete new phone system including hardware.
    I have looked at some companies that offer a totally managed solution (ie hosting the BPX offsite) which means little or no capital investment but I an not sure about this solution.
    any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Ive worked in a fair few big companies and the majority of them seem to go for Avaya. Maybe send them an email and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Well there is Asterisk - http://www.asterisk.org/ - an open source PBX with all sorts of features.

Will support VoIP with no extras but for interconnection to a PSTN you'll need hardware.

Hardware: a decently powered (Linux) box will do space for a T1/E1 or Analog card(s). So capital wise it is not overly expensive (hint - check ebay or similar for cards)

The catch ... well depends - someone (i.e. you) will have to manage/configure it, however Digium will provide commercial consultation and support if needed.

My €0.02 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Don't host the PBX outside your company. You don't want to run your internal calls across the internet, partly for security reasons but mainly for quality reasons. I presume you're looking for TDM termination internally, and not external VoIP connections? Most of the telcos in Ireland offer business VoIP, Eircom etc, if that's the route you want to go. I would obviously not go near the providers who are aiming for the home market.

Avaya does good stuff, as does Cisco, if you're looking to spend real money. Asterisk is cool and not terribly difficult to setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 regex

Soft Telecom do an Asterisk based PBX called Vox Office, have seen it and its pretty good..

they are Dublin based also.

http://www.soft-telecom.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'd say go for the asterisk route, Its fairly handy to setup and allows for further expansion. Also what you lay out on hardware could be thought of as an investment as its costs are really only a once off and you have the potential to expand far beyond your current needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mobex

check out the Mitel Cxi Controller ..It has a maximum of 64 ip sets as well as Isdn 30 or Isdn 2 support .
    it is also user friendly regarding programming .
    Also check out the Nortel BCM50
    There is a number of companies that would install and maintain the system for you.

www.mitel.com.

let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Several companies offer hosted PBX solutions with layer-2 connectivity to your site over fiber (such as ourselves). Worth checking out as can save hugely on time and capex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

WILKEL wrote:
    Hi - I have been asked to spec and price a IP phone system for work (approx 50 users) and was wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with any of the providers currently set up in ireland.
    This would be a complete new phone system including hardware.

The main Asterisk setup costs would be very approximately :

€2k for a decent server
    €2k for a PRI card with hardware echo cancellation
    €100-150 per handset
    €??? for the best Internet connection you can get (preferrably dedicated)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

bhickey wrote:
    €2k for a PRI card with hardware echo cancellation

That kind of money will get you a quad PRI card, which would be overkill for most of us. Is nobody selling lower-capacity cards with hardware echo cancellation?

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

mackerski wrote:
    That kind of money will get you a quad PRI card, which would be overkill for most of us. Is nobody selling lower-capacity cards with hardware echo cancellation?

Not Digium or Sangoma anyway and would you dare try any others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

Thanks for all the info Guys - Still pulling some info together from suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mobex

If you want a quote on a Mitel Cxi with built in Pri and Layer 3 Switch ,leave me a message .
    Mitel have designed a new protocol SIPT which will allow trunking between systems accross broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Hey Wilkel...

Who have you been talking to/found when it comes to 'hosted pbx'?. I am tasked with the same thing (getting an IP phone system up and running) but am finding it difficult to find vendors in Ireland other than Colt and Hosting 365.

Cheers, L91.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Have a look at ct3europe.com they distribute TeleVantage in Ireland. Has TDM and IP capability.

Advertisement