Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate and compare Irish links courses

Options
  • 04-04-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭

We all know that the Irish links courses are some of the best golf courses in the world. But how do the courses compare to each other? I was thinking of rating courses out of 10 for
    a) Challenge. Higher ratings mean more difficulty and ratings are based on average summer weather conditions. Every links course can be a bear in bad weather conditions :)
    b) Scenery
    c) Interest

It would be interesting if someone has played for example Ballybunion and Rosses Point and could rate the two based on the above criteria.

I will hold off on rating any courses myself because although I have played many of them, it's been a few years and they're all a bit of a blur :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

From the West coast challenge last year:

Strandhill -
    challenge 6/10
    scenery 8/10
    interest 6/10

Bundoran -
    challenge 4/10
    scenery 6/10
    interest 3/10

Murvagh/Donegal GC -
    challenge 9/10
    scenery 8/10
    interest 8/10

Enniscrone -
    challenge 9/10
    scenery 8/10
    interest 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Very good css, that's exactly what I was looking for. My own ratings of bundoran and murvagh (I'm not very familar with enniscrone or strandhill) would very much correspond with yours.

Lahinch -
    challenge: 7/10
    scenery: 7/10
    interest: 7/10

Ballbunion cashen course
    scenery: 9/10
    interest: 8/10

European club -
    scenery: 9/10
    interest: 6/10

St Helens Bay -
    challenge: 4/10
    scenery: 4/10
    interest: 1/10

Greenore -
    challenge: 6/10
    scenery: 6/10
    interest: 6/10

Links golf is tough to rate sometimes though, if you get bad weather you're going to have an entirely different perception of a course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TabulaRasa22

Has anyone tried any of the ones in Galway? I'd be interested to know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

OK it's been a while so my ratings may be a bit off

Portstewart Strand course
    Challenge: 8/10
    Scenery: 7/10
    Interest: 8/10

Ballyliffin Old course
    Challenge 7/10
    Scenery: 10/10
    Interest: 9/10

Ballyliffin Glashedy
    Challenge: 9/10
    Scenery: 10/10
    Interest: 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Galway golf club/Salthill(parkland with a linksy feel) is a good course, it can be very tough when set up properly. Ballyconnealy/connemara i always like this links course, some people dont, definitely worth a go. Connemara isles wot a crazy course built in the rocks! worth playing for the fun and their are some unique holes there its definitely not a classic but its different. Barna is carved out of bog defo not a classic course great clubhouse tho, this course is a nice bit above sea level so feels dif. Gort is okay. Loughrea is a pleasant parkland, nice course for some fun on a open day. Athenry is a nice parkland, gud flat long practice ground there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

Played Enniscrone and Carne last summer.

I thought Enniscrone was a fair challenge and enjoyed round
    Challenge 6 /10.
    Scenery 7/10
    Interest 6/10

Mistake I made was I followed up with Carne the next day. What a course, would highly recommend. Very challenging for a 20 handicapper like myself. Best links I have ever played.
    Challenge 9/10
    Scenery 9/10
    Interest 9/10

I played 9 holes with one of the members, who told me they have plans to upgrade and expand course. Definetely worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Kanturk
    Challenge 7/10
    Scenery 7/10
    Interest 6/10

Dooks
    Clallenge 6/10
    Scenery 9/10
    Interest 7/10

My limited experience

Advertisement