Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips RE:Chords

• 04-04-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Ive jus started learnin guitar this weekend, know a couple of the common chords. Only problem is gettin from one chord to the other. I know practice will make perfect, but are there any exercises/tips i can do to help get used to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

have a look here http://freeguitarvideos.com/Beginner/Beg_02.html

if u don't have broadband have a look on www.cyberfret.com site i'm sure there is something useful in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Try look at what you're playing when you change chords. What fingers are moving, how far they need to move, and is there anyway to restrict that movement to the shortest/quickest route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭nohshow

When I started, I kicked off with two chords, C and G7, which were quick and easy to learn. Next was F, slightly more complicated. Then I practiced going from C to F and back until it felt comfortable, then from G7 to F. Next chord I learned was D, which I always learned to play by barring the G,B and E at the second fret and adding the D with my third finger. It took a while to comfortably move from this to F, then from it to C and then D to G7, but eventually it felt right. Incidentally, it's also why I play the G Major the way I do (little finger on the third fret), since it wasn't until a month or so later that I learned the G Major chord.

Boring stuff so far, okay, I'll grant you, so to cut to the chase: Pick a chord and move from it to each of the others you know, one at a time, until you feel good about each transition. Then start from another chord and do the same thing. Don't start off with the ones you already find difficult, this will only discourage you. Next, learn a song.

(I'm self-taught, but it doesn't make me a bad person)

Good luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

When I was learning to play guitar years ago I knew I could switch chords properly when I could play along with Oasis' "Don't look back in Anger"... its got a good few simple chords that are great for beginner stuff.

Advertisement