Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusing water

Options
  • 04-04-2006 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am about to redo my bathroom. I want to reuse the water from the sink and shower. I can easily reroute the waste to a shed roof and therfore use it in the graden on the car etc... The problem is I would like to use it in the garden too but will the tooth paste, shampoo etc... not make the water unusable in the graden?
    The same applies for the washing machine, dishwasher water what can I do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could you not use it just to flush the toilet? That would be the best and most efficient use of the water, the loo uses more than just about anything else, unless of course you have a watersaving loo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

The only problem i can think of, off the top of my head, is that you're going to get a sludge in the used water, that is going to cause you grief. Worth bearing in mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you were to collect the rainwater from your roof you'd have better water and more of it, and cheaper to setup, no plumber needed :D , and no nasty chemicals in your back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Weird I would have thought people here knew more about this. I guess as there is no charge here many people don't worry about it.;)

There are ways and means to avoid the sludge so that isn't an issue.

Gravity kind of means getting the water from the shower into the toilet would be a problem. Not impossible but costs energy I can use it in the downstairs toilet alright but I was anyway.

Last night I heard a person mention they used biodegradable shower gel to avoid the chemicals getting into the water. I guess that is what I would need to do along with watch the cleaning products I use.

Advertisement