Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please signal on roundabouts

Options
  • 03-04-2006 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Please signal on roundabouts. :mad:

More and more are'nt bothering their AR$€S to signal properly on roundabouts anymore. Is it just laziness?

The proper way:

http://www.drivinginfo.ie/rotr-driving.php#6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:mad: :mad: Really annoying when the traffic is heavy enough that the only gaps are when cars are leaving at another exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I hate when a constant stream of traffic from a lane on the right just keeps entering the roundabout.

It's probably legal, but you could argue that they should slow down / stop before entering a roundabout.

There's been plenty of times that I had physically entered the roundabout before
    another car on the right, but because they were travelling at speed, they forced their way in...... extremely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

OMcGovern wrote:
    I hate when a constant stream of traffic from a lane on the right just keeps entering the roundabout.

It's probably legal, but you could argue that they should slow down / stop before entering a roundabout.

There's been plenty of times that I had physically entered the roundabout before
    another car on the right, but because they were travelling at speed, they forced their way in...... extremely annoying.

There is no need to stop or indeed slow down when entering a roundabout if the way is clear.

Traffic must yield to any traffic on the roundabout coming from the right as they enter the roundabout however as a roundabout is a junction traffic should also yield to all traffic that has already entered the roundabout.

The problem would be that you would have to prove that you had already entered the roundabout before the car coming from your right if there is an accident then it just looks like you pulled out in front of the car coming from your right.

It is one of the problems with roundabouts when you have steady streams of traffic coming in one direction traffic at the next entrance does not get a chance to enter the junction it is why they put traffic lights on roundabouts

Dublin city councils tactic of reducing the size of roundabouts has not helped either the Malahide rd/Artane roundabout is a perfect example when it was a big roundabout slower moving traffic had a chance to take advantage of breaks in traffic now it is a smaller roundabout it makes it harder for Buses trucks etc to get onto the roundabout.
    In fact dublin city council has actually painted a yellow box junction on the roundabout which is one of the most dangerous thing i have ever seen traffic that has already entered the roundabout is supposed to leave the yellowbox junction clear when traffic backs up and allow traffic from the next junction enter the roundabout which sounds fine in theory but in practise it is lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Some drivers go round the wrong way, what kind of signal should they give?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why?

If you see a car indicating do you just presume it is going to turn in that direction and walk out on the road. A indication is not a guarantee a car is going to turn.

An indication is merely that, an indication.

Any perdestrian or driver who pulls out infront of a car who is indicating is extremely foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

shltter wrote:
    There is no need to stop or indeed slow down when entering a roundabout if the way is clear.
    Anyone driving safely and responsibly should slow down entering a roundabout or any major junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

TheMonster wrote:
    Anyone driving safely and responsibly should slow down entering a roundabout or any major junction.

That would surely depend on the speed you are already doing and the geometry of the junction.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

shltter wrote:
    Dublin city councils tactic of reducing the size of roundabouts has not helped either the Malahide rd/Artane roundabout is a perfect example when it was a big roundabout slower moving traffic had a chance to take advantage of breaks in traffic now it is a smaller roundabout it makes it harder for Buses trucks etc to get onto the roundabout.

In fairness, this is one of the few busy roundabouts I've ever seen with traffic lights on the exit lane! Whatever about the design of the roundabout itself, the lights are just silly. If there's enough pedestrian traffic crossing, perhaps a bridge might be suitable instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Please, not only indicate, but before you enter a roundabout, THINK which exit you want to take! And DO NOT circle the roundabout on the outside lane (almost got killed this morning cause some idiot decided instead of taking the exit he was supposed and expected to take, to go round - cutting me off trying to exit in the correct lane, and almost crashing into me...he did indicate though, in fairness (which made it worse...))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Pfungstadter

The speed at which you enter and exit a roundabout is supposed to be controlled by a simple design principle, that if the designer draws arcs coming into around and out of the roundabout with radius bigger than 100m then it's not safe as drivers don't need to slow down. So the angle of entry and exist to a roundabout should be controlled but all to often it's not and most new roundabouts are .... cráp can't think of the word..... brain's not working today..... then entry and exit geometry are a mirror image of each other when they shouldn't be. (This word is going to wreck my head all day.) It's kinda hard to explain without a diagram.

I signal all the time, so simple to do, but then everyone is going to say they signal all the time.

All this talk might give away my profession

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bluetonic wrote:
    An indication is merely that, an indication.
    So is there any purpose to them at all? if they can never be trusted whats the point in looking at them. I am being serious here. I cycle and just ignore signalling at roundabouts after a few near misses. Most do not signal when turning off. I have had a few signalling the opposite, that they were still going around but did turn off. Now I simply ignore all cars indicators.

I would love to see penalty points for not signalling at all/correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

markpb wrote:
    In fairness, this is one of the few busy roundabouts I've ever seen with traffic lights on the exit lane! Whatever about the design of the roundabout itself, the lights are just silly. If there's enough pedestrian traffic crossing, perhaps a bridge might be suitable instead.
    You are assuming that the roundabout is there to get traffic going quickly as opposed to what some are for which is to slow traffic. THe Artane roundabout was reduced and had lights added to slow traffic. It is safer for pedestrians and cyclists a like now but slows traffic. I told a neighbour about the design reason and he went mad about the usual we motorists pay for roads and suffered at the hands of the Romans etc... The road authority get things right too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

You are assuming that the roundabout is there to get traffic going quickly as opposed to what some are for which is to slow traffic. THe Artane roundabout was reduced and had lights added to slow traffic. It is safer for pedestrians and cyclists a like now but slows traffic. I told a neighbour about the design reason and he went mad about the usual we motorists pay for roads and suffered at the hands of the Romans etc... The road authority get things right too:)

I'm not sure they got things right this time either. In many other parts of the city, particularly the city centre, I'd agree with you that pedestrianisation is the way forward and applaud them for doing this.

However, on a major route into the city and, more importantly, on a major bus corridor where speeds are already slow and the bus lanes are useless, I would question the sanity in reducing the speed ever further.

Besides, even a slow moving roundabout is dangerous for cyclists. There are much better ways of helping us than just cripple the traffic.

markpb wrote:
    However, on a major route into the city and, more importantly, on a major bus corridor where speeds are already slow and the bus lanes are useless, I would question the sanity in reducing the speed ever further.
    It isperfectly sane but it bottle necks at Marino anyway and the congestion there was causing other problems hence the restriction added further up on the main route. The bus lanes are useless on the Malahide road for many reasons the main one being the bottle neck
    markpb wrote:
    Besides, even a slow moving roundabout is dangerous for cyclists. There are much better ways of helping us than just cripple the traffic.

There is a cycle lane and traffic lights to help cyclists there a lot safer than it was. Slow moving traffic is generally safer for everybody concerned. It hasn't crippled traffic it slowed it down so that one area didn't have to deal with all the congestion. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link

I reckon the ends of the Howth Road and Malahide Roads will be made one way soon enough to deal with the traffic problems there.

markpb wrote:
    If there's enough pedestrian traffic crossing, perhaps a bridge might be suitable instead.
    Maybe for cars & trucks but not for elderly or mobility impaired people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

It isperfectly sane but it bottle necks at Marino anyway and the congestion there was causing other problems hence the restriction added further up on the main route. The bus lanes are useless on the Malahide road for many reasons the main one being the bottle neck

I would dispute that the malahide rd QBC is useless I used it this morning it took 30 minutes from clarehall SC to Marlborough St at peak traffic time 8:00 to 8:30 a slight delay at Donnycarney Church but that is far from useless

There is a cycle lane and traffic lights to help cyclists there a lot safer than it was. Slow moving traffic is generally safer for everybody concerned. It hasn't crippled traffic it slowed it down so that one area didn't have to deal with all the congestion. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link

What is laughable about that is the number of cyclists that use the cycle lane around the Artane roundabout the vast majority prefer to take their chances on the inside of an articulated lorry than use the specifically provided cycle lane
    I reckon the ends of the Howth Road and Malahide Roads will be made one way soon enough to deal with the traffic problems there.

And where would the traffic heading out go if the malahide road and howth road where made one way.

The problem is 3 major feeder roads the malahide, howth, and Clontarf rd all feeding into one road

shltter wrote:
    I would dispute that the malahide rd QBC is useless I used it this morning it took 30 minutes from clarehall SC to Marlborough St at peak traffic time 8:00 to 8:30 a slight delay at Donnycarney Church but that is far from useless
    It has the worst use and movement time in the whole city. THe local politicians inform us via traffic update news.
    shltter wrote:
    What is laughable about that is the number of cyclists that use the cycle lane around the Artane roundabout the vast majority prefer to take their chances on the inside of an articulated lorry than use the specifically provided cycle lane
    News to me and I use it. It is quicker to use the lanes but there are idiots using all forms of transport.

shltter wrote:
    And where would the traffic heading out go if the malahide road and howth road where made one way.
    LOL. Just the ends and they would go opposite one way directions, get the idea. There ae two roads that can join the two roads making it possible. It has been on the possible plan list for years. LOcals will object but it will happen eventually it has too or all the cars come off the road. THey are already talking about removing the right turns on to the malahide road
    shltter wrote:
    The problem is 3 major feeder roads the malahide, howth, and Clontarf rd all feeding into one road
    The problem is the narrow and then have to merge. even when the lights are with people you are already moving too slowly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saw someone not indicate on four roundabouts in a row this morning
    Since you get at least 3 pp's if you loose in court they could have lost their license if not using indicators was a pp-able offfense

www.penaltypoints.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hushm0nk3y

I think the problem is most of these non-indicators are just too tight and miserable, they are afraid if they use their precious indicators, they will have to replace the bulbs at some point:mad: Nothing (else) against BMW or Merc drivers but they seem to be the main culprits of this total disregard for other drivers - "Hey l drive a big expensive car and don't need to use indicators as I am special" - prix!

• Advertisement

Anyone got a link to that BMW product recall notice ?

shltter wrote:
    I've been using that roundabout for for over 20 years.

The 'cycle facilities' at Artane are a joke and were never designed the benefit of cyclists.

I prefer to use the road. Using the roundabout's 'cycle facilities' to go to third exit would mean waiting at four sets of pedestrian signals where it's only possible to cross if the drivers don't block the cycle crossing (they usually do) & when the signals occasionally allow a few brief seconds every few minutes.

Even riding across the cycle crossing when the lights are briefly in your favour is dangerous as many drivers break the lights.

At Artane, it could take ten minutes to do a manouvere (using the so-called 'cycle facilities') that can be accomplished in a minute & far more safely using the road. It's just a matter of making sure you're visibile, indicating clearly, staying away from large vehicle blind-spots and taking the control of the correct lane. In short, a cyclist can safely negotiate a roundabout if everyone (including the cyclist) observes the ROTR.

The main problems comes from drivers entering too fast without looking, those using the wrong lanes, those not indicating in good time as they exit or those entering the roundabout and then stopping in front of the exiting traffic.

If everyone plays nice, negotiates and takes their turn, roundabouts work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shltter wrote:
    the important bits are useless. Of course they are useless because they haven't been built yet.
    The speed at which you enter and exit a roundabout is supposed to be controlled by a simple design principle, that if the designer draws arcs coming into around and out of the roundabout with radius bigger than 100m then it's not safe as drivers don't need to slow down. So the angle of entry and exist to a roundabout should be controlled but all to often it's not and most new roundabouts are .... cráp can't think of the word..... brain's not working today..... then entry and exit geometry are a mirror image of each other when they shouldn't be. (This word is going to wreck my head all day.) It's kinda hard to explain without a diagram.
    I take it that the junction should be asymmetric, with entrances having a smaller radius than exits?

Victor wrote:
    the important bits are useless. Of course they are useless because they haven't been built yet.
    And they've just started to remove the more useful of the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How is a cyclist supposed to use the third exit on a roundabout?
    Any roundabout I have seen has a simple bikelane that goes around the exterior of the roundabout.
    i.e a deathtrap.

GreeBo wrote:
    How is a cyclist supposed to use the third exit on a roundabout?
    Any roundabout I have seen has a simple bikelane that goes around the exterior of the roundabout.
    i.e a deathtrap.
    As long as it's bounded by a broken white line & you're going to 3rd exit, the law permits you to leave the bike lane. Make sure to get the permission of any drivers too.

Advertisement