Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinbeck?

Options
  • 03-04-2006 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I've read his better known works - Grapes of Wraith, East of Eden. I'm now slowly working my way through some of his lesser known works '- Cannery Row', 'Sweet Thursday', 'The Wayward Bus'...

For me, there just no-one else who comes close. Any other Steinbeck lovers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Yep,

Big fan too.

East of Eden was epic

Grapes of Wrath great too. Tough going at times but so realistic. Immense characters. I still remember lots of it especially that speech that Tom Joad speech near the end when he dissappears to go on the run

"maybe like Casy says, a fella ain't got a soul of his own, but on'y a piece of a big one. ... I'll be ever'where—wherever you look"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

TOM JOAD AGAIN

"Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Grandpa Joad: It's my dirt! Eh-heh! No good, but it's - it's mine, all mine.

Tom Joad: Seems like the government's got more interest in a dead man than a live one.

Casy: I wouldn't pray just for a old man that's dead, 'cause he's all right. If I was to pray, I'd pray for folks that's alive and don't know which way to turn.

Have read the Pearl and Grapes of Wrath.. must find the others.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Casy: Maybe there ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue, they's just what people does. Some things folks do is nice and some ain't so nice, and that's all any man's got a right to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I've read the Pearl and it was really fantastic. It's a pity there are no writers of his class writing today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

The Pearl is the only one of his books that I've read but, tbh, I wasn't exactly blown away by it. It was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

LadyJ wrote:
    The Pearl is the only one of his books that I've read but, tbh, I wasn't exactly blown away by it. It was ok.
    Same here, I thought it was a decent read. Read it when I was around 13 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Yes, yes, yes. Steinbeck is really and truly one of the best.

If The Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden or any of his books doesn't affect you...help is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

East of Eden is sadly the only Steinbeck I've read to date (so many books, so little time), but its one of my favourite books. I must get down the ol' Liberry, they should have a few more for me.

Prufrock wrote:
    I've read the Pearl and it was really fantastic. It's a pity there are no writers of his class writing today.

Like Steinbeck but not a big fan of the Pearl tbh. Coldn't figure out how it was on the Leaving Cert course when stuff like Of Mice and Men wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Never liked the Pearl myself. Never connected with the place or the people.

But then reading 'Of mice and men' changed my opinion. Just take an hour out to read this story and you won't be dissapointed. Read a good few of his other books as well and they are all immense works.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

Of Mice and Men is a classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Read Grapes of Wrath a couple of years ago, and I really loved it..

I'll read of mice of men and cannery row one day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

I read "Of Mice And Men" in school and I think it's a brilliant book, Steinbeck really knows how to create an uncomfortable atmosphere

Advertisement