Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In letterkenny v Dublin

Options
  • 03-04-2006 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

For a while now I've been contemplating moving back to LK after several years in the big smoke.

But a lot of people are putting me off the idea - many of them former LK natives who now live in the city who reckon the town has turned into a bit of a kip!

I meet people on the street from home that I haven't seen in years and not one has anything good to say about the place.

Why is this?

Is it because of the people around at the weekend or the boy racers/morons that are more apparent than ever and didn't seem to exist when I grew up (rose tinted spectacles maybe)

On the other hand I've seen what a lot of my Dublin based friends are paying for houses and it is shocking - 600k for a very average 3 bed near Finglas stood out.

I was talking to a dublin friend who lives in the town and she's moving back down, reckons too many people get stuck in a rut and the opportunities just aren't there.

So what's up with home: been trying to work out the + and - vs Dublin for a while:
    Good points: Good social life but will I get sick of the same places? still a lot of friends, cheap housing
    Bad points: Weekend crowd? Not enough to do?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has thought about it or done it and and what they think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Well bones, I've lived in LK for 4 years now, having lived in Dublin for 6+ years. I'm not from the town. I could not imagine even contemplating moving back to Dublin. No chance.

You didn't mention traffic in Dublin - even living in a €600K house, it will still take you an age to get to work, or get anywhere. Whatever muppets exist in the town, they're not a patch on skangers in Dublin.

Social life: as much or a little of it as you want. Plenty of music in the town, pretty good comedy/drama/whatever in the theatre, enough pubs to be getting along with. It's easier to meet friends/new people.

Jobs: you got me there - serious lack of significant job opportunities such that, if you do manage to get a job, there isn't much choice to move on to develop your experience.

That's my 2p worth

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Bones,

I lived in Dublin for a few years and moved back home about 6-8 months ago. To be honest my social life is busier now that it ever was in Dublin.
    There are loads of clubs/societies, pubs, table quizes, dance classes, exercise classes, sports and social activities to try.
    It takes much less time to travel to and from work, people are friendlier and the whole pace of live is slower.
    However, I did take a substantial drop in wages to move back but it does allow me as much or greater returns that I had in Dublin, things are slightly cheaper here overall. It also means that I can afford and use a car (which in fairness I didn't need in Dublin) and it also means that I will be able to afford a house in this decade which is a definate plus!

also I've had to take a job which doesn't use any of my qualifications so all my years at college are a waste!

overall, I'd recommend moving home, but be prepared for big changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 maxruby

hi all
    so good to hear the move back is worth it.
    living in kildare, working in dublin.
    have applied for a job back home in the good auld county.
    i cant imaginewhat it will be like to drive to work. not sit in the car moving at 1 mile per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

maxruby wrote:
    hi all
    so good to hear the move back is worth it.
    living in kildare, working in dublin.
    have applied for a job back home in the good auld county.
    i cant imaginewhat it will be like to drive to work. not sit in the car moving at 1 mile per hour

You better make sure to avoid the town at 4.30pm on a Friday then.;)

smashey wrote:
    You better make sure to avoid the town at 4.30pm on a Friday then.;)
    Thats true, but maybe I'm in the wrong forum. wont actually be in Letterkenny.
    Neighbour of yours. Raphoe. And hoping to work in Stranorlar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

maxruby wrote:
    Neighbour of yours. Raphoe. And hoping to work in Stranorlar.
    You'll need to go slow around all those bends between Raphoe and Convoy :D

Welcome to the North West forum maxruby. Keep the posts coming and the most important thing is - enjoy yourself

muffler wrote:
    You'll need to go slow around all those bends between Raphoe and Convoy :D

Welcome to the North West forum maxruby. Keep the posts coming and the most important thing is - enjoy yourself

Oh God know all about them, and the crazy drivers on them.
    If you ever end up behind a wee ford ka driving at about 5 mph on them thats me.:rolleyes:
    EEEEEHHHMMMMM what makes me think I'm gonna be any faster at home than here. LOL

maxruby wrote:
    If you ever end up behind a wee ford ka driving at about 5 mph on them thats me.:rolleyes:
    So you will be holding up the tractors then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Iascaire

muffler wrote:
    So you will be holding up the tractors then:D
    I'm sure he'll pull in and let them pass ;)

Iascaire wrote:
    I'm sure he'll pull in and let them pass ;)
    How do you know he is not a she :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, I thought maxruby was female! I think it's the nick that made me think that. :D

How nice to come online and see the northwest discussing my sexuality.
    LOL
    And hey dont knock the wee ka. Unlike the big cars out there (especially silver ones for some reason) I do have indicators to use when I do pull over to let those tractors pass.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

so male/female?

i'm female. LOL

byte

retalivity wrote:
    so male/female?
    hehe, the new NW Mystery! :)

maxruby wrote:
    i'm female. LOL
    I knew it. I have a talent for these things;)

byte

Gah, the NW Mystery didn't last long!

You should've kept quiet for another while maxruby, keep everyone guessing :D

maxruby wrote:
    i'm female. LOL
    Sorry MaxRuby I'm slack, but you've got a lot of bodyguards

Iascaire wrote:
    Sorry MaxRuby I'm slack, but you've got a lot of bodyguards

ITS GREAT AINT IT.
    I'LL ALWAYS BE SAFE.
    (IN MY KA)

maxruby wrote:
    ITS GREAT AINT IT.
    I'LL ALWAYS BE SAFE.
    (IN MY KA)

I wonder if I accidently referred to a he as a she would there be so many eager BODYGUARDS to correct me? I doubt it;)

• Advertisement

Iascaire wrote:
    I wonder if I accidently referred to a he as a she would there be so many eager BODYGUARDS to correct me? I doubt it;)
    If you were in the habit of referring to he's as she's I think we would be avoiding you. Well certainly not bending over and doing up the old shoe laces :D:D

Moderator<1000posts Impressive

retalivity wrote:
    Moderator<1000posts Impressive
    Good spot.

I might just post this another 40 times :D

go for it man mods are mods for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

I've been offered a job up there in graphic design. I've been up to visit a few times [my GF is from Falcarragh and I've mates in Gweedore]. What I wanted to ask is; What kind of facilities are in Letterkenny? What's the broadband like? Is there trains up that way? What kind of music scene is there? I'm not into Hard House Bars and "Disco" Bars. I'd really like to know about Live music venues [indie, rock, metal, stoner, hiphop etc.] in LK or nearby or underground [eek!] electronic(a) nights. If these nights don't exist, is there a (student?) crowd that'd want something like this, in your opinions...

Cheers.

e

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Most of what you mentioned should be available. The only trains are in the toyshops.:mad: The powers that be seem to think we wouldn't know what to do with a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

smashey wrote:
    Most of what you mentioned should be available. The only trains are in the toyshops.:mad: The powers that be seem to think we wouldn't know what to do with a train.

Even Toys can kill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

To be fair, there is a big train in Fintown... but its a toy too.

Try reading some of the threads on weekends and nightlife where we've teased out whats what we think!

Broadband - Eircom, Esat BT, Smart (in letterkenny) Irish Broadband and they dug up all our newly tarred streets in letterkenny to put in what seems a pointless ring of cable!

Advertisement