Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP Setup question

Options
  • 03-04-2006 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a VOIP setup in my house and am wondering how does it work. Is there anyway I can have the phone stand alone or does the computer always have to be on.

Also am i assigned a phone number for Irish landline customers that they can call me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Noelie wrote:
    I'm looking to get a VOIP setup in my house and am wondering how does it work. Is there anyway I can have the phone stand alone or does the computer always have to be on.

Also am i assigned a phone number for Irish landline customers that they can call me?

You need:

1. A reliable broadband connection (according to boards.ie contributors NTL appears to be the best match.

2. An ATA adapter into which you plug your phone.

3. And of course a PC!

The ATA adapter (currently on special at www.blueface.ie) plugs into your cable modem. Then you plug your phone into the ATA adapter. Then off you go! Your PC does not have to be turned on - just your modem.

You are assigned an 076 VOIP number, a local number, and you can also keep your existing number by porting it from Eircom.

I've had Blueface since December. Some slight echo problems (now gone). 1st class service and customer support. Wouldn't go past them.:)

Hope that helps.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What's your ISP?

Before you go and commit to a particular provider or even hardware, do some testing with a softphone (X-Ten) and a headset to make sure you're happy with the quality. VoIP isn't like eircom where you just plug in the phone and everything will work perfectly.

Every provider gives you an incoming number. Some limit you to 076 numbers, but most will give you a geographical number like 01. Blueface will charge you for it by forcing you take out a bundle, but most give it to you for free as part of a pre-pay account. Most providers will allow you to port an eircom landline number to their service also, but you obviously want to make sure you're happy with the service before you commit to that.

As Freddie pointed out, you need an ATA that will do the analogue phone to VoIP conversion. It's an ethernet device and plugs into your existing router. You can also get a router with VoIP built-in. This is generally the recommended route (if you excuse the pun) as the router will have built-in QoS to guarantee that VoIP has priority over all other traffic on your connection. Your ISP (and beyond) will not guarantee the traffic, however, and this is where you may experience problems. It's probably a good idea to buy the equipment from your chosen provider so your setup is supported.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you want to experiment a bit why not enrol for an 076 number at http://www.smart076.ie/home.vox - you can then download a softphone and try that out. It does not cost anything but you could then buy some call credit and ring a few numbers. It will give you an idea of whats involved with voip.

Advertisement