Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New idea

Options
  • 03-04-2006 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I you had an idea for storing energy, a way to allow Ireland to get more energy from wind(wind is unsuitable passed a certain level as power levels fluctuate), what would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

I'm not sure of the logistics and difficulties but aren't we going to join our grid with Europe. A larger grid can cope with higher fluctuations because at times of low wind other energy generators can produce more.

Other methods that are problematic but possible mechanisms into the future would be the hydrolysis of water to produce Hydrogen (which could then be burned with zero C02 emmissions in times of shortage) or simply use the excess electricity from wind to pump water into a reservior high up and then when you have a shortage, regenerate the electricity by hydroelectric plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

samb wrote:
    or simply use the excess electricity from wind to pump water into a reservior high up and then when you have a shortage, regenerate the electricity by hydroelectric plants.
    Basically that, but in a specific place which would be perfect with a good area nearby for a wind farm.

Basically that, but in a specific place which would be perfect with a good area nearby for a wind farm.

don't know of a specific place or have a specific costed plan if thats what you wanted, sorry. Would the wind farm need to be near? Electrical energy is easily transportable, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

samb wrote:
    don't know of a specific place or have a specific costed plan if thats what you wanted, sorry. Would the wind farm need to be near? Electrical energy is easily transportable, is it not?
    I know of a place,(my cousin is renewable engineer esp wind so I know it would be good). How would one go about installing this system etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

samb wrote:
    or simply use the excess electricity from wind to pump water into a reservior high up and then when you have a shortage, regenerate the electricity by hydroelectric plants.

Turlough Hill...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[broken record]We could retrofit pumped storage to many existing hydroelectric stations. This would reduce water usage too so none of those hose pipe bans like our cousins across the pond have right now. Most of our major population centres are near mountains too if new resevoirs need to be made. Most of our population centres are near places suitable for tidal turbines.

Turlogh Hill 0 to 250 MW in 60 seconds :D[/brocken record]

Nuclear power has to run continuously so it would have to be stored perhaps ?

Hydrogen is not an option at present due to storage and transport problems. fuel cells running from methanol / ethanol etc are far more practical.

Electrical energy is lost mainly due to voltage drops over the cables. some is lost in transformers but not a biggie since you would need these if you have to travel any sort of distance. ??? up to 15% loss from Moneypoint to Dublin ??? Fuel cell technology might be 60% efficient maybe.

Hydrogen is not an option at present due to storage and transport problems. fuel cells running from methanol / ethanol etc are far more practical.

For general consumer use I agree, but couldn't it be used to regenerate electricity produced from wind or tidal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd reckon that pumped storage is more efficient than H2 conversion. It doesn't need any new technology or precious metals / fancy catalysts. There is no explosion/fire risk. You can make resevoirs quite large easily. Water is a tad easier to store than hydrogen. I don't think hydrogen can go from 0 to 1/4 Gigawatt in one minute. You have to keep away from a hydrogen stroage facility, whereas large bodies of water are used for recreational activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

A mate of mine came up with the idea of using the excess power to drive a motor to wind up a big spring... :D

Frivolous, I know, but it's along the lines you lot are thinking. :rolleyes:

Advertisement