Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can never make decisions and stick to them!!!

Options
  • 02-04-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

At this point in my life it's really starting to aggravate me!!!

I'm trying to determine what i'm going to do with my life, i'm nearly 23, haven't been to college, i'm trying to choose what i'm going to do in college next year(07), i realise what i want to do, and i'm really happy that my mind is made up, then all of a sudden out of no where i get another idea into my head, and rearrange everything, and before long another idea comes along, it's just one long vicious circle and it never ends, EVER!!!!

I'm in a job that i hate and i'd like to not have to move from job to job for the rest of my life, i know i could move from this job now, but to be honest, wherever i go, i'll be happy for a couple of months and then i'll grow to hate that job as well, it's no way to live.

I don't know what to do, i know some people will say just make your mind up and stick to it, but it's very hard to stick to something you're not sure about anymore.

I do think i need some kind of help (what kind i don't know), because at this rate, i'll never get anything done!!

I'm just frustrated because i'm just completely lost! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am exactly the same as you buddy!

I can be extremely indecisive at times which is much to the annoyance of my friends at times!

I am 29 now and have yet to decide what I really want to do in life! I have been putting off going to college for years now as a result of this!

I get so bad at times that I was driving into a car park one day! There was 3 free spaces in front of me and I actually stopped the car and sat there trying to decide which space to go into! The car behind me eventually beeped the horn at me which made me rush my decision! hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

go to a guidance counsellor if you can find one or do a personality test that might give an indication of where your interests lie.

If you can find out whether you want to work mostly alone or with a team.
    Do you value respect of your peers more than earning money?
    Do you feel a need to contribute to society, to care for others or create something original?
    Do you stick to a schedule or do you want to wait until 'it's perfect' before finishing? Ask people what they like and dislike about their current jobs maybe?

That said, when I went to a guidance counsellor in school he asked me lots of in depth questions which led him to suggest a career as a therapist or counsellor.

I went to college and studied computer science and physics :rolleyes:
    He saw me as a good listener that empathised with others but I also loved technology.
    I figured out eventually that I wanted to be perceived as an expert and that I loved it when people wanted to figure something out and came to me for help. I enjoy knowing the details and want to be the 'wise old master' figure. LONG way from that in reality though ;)

In short your personality should give a good indication of what you might be happy with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe you could decide on arts or science or whatever and sit in on loads of lectures and try them for a while. It's a different matter looking at something on paper and seeing how interesting it is, than to do it and realise what it's actually like.
    If you have any interest in certain subjects (this is in general, now) buy some books on them and read up on them. See what you want to pursue further.
    I love music and physics, I do the first part-time and the latter full-time. Covers both interests and I know what I want to do. Or at least, I can still change my mind and switch between if I want.

Advertisement