Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing and Word Count question

Options
  • 02-04-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anybody can help me.
    Just wondering are the references counted in a word count?

I'm 90% sure the bibliography isn't but the ones where you write...

It refers to large-scale, impersonal relationships, which are usually weak and non-kinship based. (Ferlander, 2003:51)

... will the Ferlander be counted as a word?

I've seen some articles where numbers denote references but they can't include the page numbers of books and I was told u have to write in page numbers after the year. Anyway just looking for some help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Need this for tomorrow, so if anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. I've a lot of references in there so it makes a big difference on the word count if I count them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Typically references wouldn't be counted.
    The way I'd include a reference would be in a bibliography at the end of the paper, so in the text I'd have something like [1], with
    [1] Smith, Jones "Name", "Journal", Vol 1, P 22-34 in the appendix.
    The appendices don't normally count towards the page count for conferences/journals so I'd say if you're trying to get in under the limit do it like that.
    I think you can do that in Word (cross-references) as well as Latex.

If you're trying to make up the word count then I'm not sure what you'd do.
    I think the rule of thumb is that if it's in the body of text like your example then it counts.
    Footnotes count (as they're in the body of the text) so you could do at least some references like that and bump up the page/word count.

Disclaimer time - I've never written a document to a word count in my life, I've only written with page count and tex styles specified, so my advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Thanks I originally had too many words, managed to cut it down enough though.

Advertisement