Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning My Monster truck? Am i being scammed?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in a shop there that had a model truck in the window, good looking machine for 400, but anyway, i am nearly finished building my monster truck, and i was looking to buy fuel for it. i asked the man did he have any and he said he could fill a bottle (prob. 600ml) with fuel for 5euro. which seemed okay. but then he asked if i needed my truck tuned for 25Euro, he said he knew a guy that can tune it to stop the clutch going wrong and all of that, is it asy to tune a monster truck, or shall i spend the 25euro to get a pro to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Hi,

I was in a shop there that had a model truck in the window, good looking machine for 400, but anyway, i am nearly finished building my monster truck, and i was looking to buy fuel for it. i asked the man did he have any and he said he could fill a bottle (prob. 600ml) with fuel for 5euro. which seemed okay. but then he asked if i needed my truck tuned for 25Euro, he said he knew a guy that can tune it to stop the clutch going wrong and all of that, is it asy to tune a monster truck, or shall i spend the 25euro to get a pro to do it?

Its not easy if its your very first time tuneing in a model engine,but if you dont feel confident enough about doing it yourself I'd personally say get it done for the E25 it could save you buyiny a whole new engine in a couple of weeks maybe months. by the way what truck are you building?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your better off doing it yourself, he is probebly trying to roast you. If your not used to tuning, get a friend or look up the internet. Pointless wasting 25 on a job you could do yourself in 10 minutes. The idle speed needle might be to lean causing it to jump into gear, just richen it 1/8 turn anti clockwise or the trottle trim might be up too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AndyPipkin2007

Thats great, i will try reading the magazines i got and try tuning it myself, its a thunder tiger, Nitro Monster truck is the name of the magazine.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

aya boyler your back, i rmember you were he looking for info a while back :) tho u have a new name?, ad try stay active here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

did you buy your truck in dundalk i dont know of any model shops around here:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

my neighbours got two cen nitro imprezas for a hobby shop in nass the guy came to there house and charged them €350 to tune them there mother paid him :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

A young lad around my way brought his car to a shop to be tuned, and was charged €75. The guy in the shop didnt do it right at all..
    Learn to do it urself. Im sure the instructions for the model or motor take u through a step by step so that u can get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

it's not exactly rocket science !

tallus wrote:
    it's not exactly rocket science !

ur right there.. it`s IC science

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

charged them €350 to tune them :eek:
    Perfect example "rip off republic":mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

my neighbours got two cen nitro imprezas for a hobby shop in nass the guy came to there house and charged them €350 ... :eek:
    :eek:
    The Doktor wrote:
    A young lad around my way brought his car to a shop to be tuned, and was charged €75.
    The serious model shops in Dublin ( www.greenhobbymodel.com and The Model Centre ) do not charge for restoring a model car back to makers settings. They do this for free if the car was bought there.
    The Doktor wrote:
    The guy in the shop didnt do it right at all..
    This one is interesting, was it the judgement of the guy who couldnt tune his own car, that the shop guy mistuned it - or did another experienced modeller check it out and find it wrongly set up?
    The Doktor wrote:
    Learn to do it urself.
    Definitely the best advice. Everyone has to learn sometime.

It was done wrong in my opinion, and 2 other experienced modellers opinions.
    I think its a disgrace rippin off a ten year old like that. Should be helpin em get into the hobby and enjoyin it. Sure they`re future customers an all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

coolwings wrote:
    :eek:

The serious model shops in Dublin ( www.greenhobbymodel.com and The Model Centre ) do not charge for restoring a model car back to makers settings. They do this for free if the car was bought there.

yes they do and i thanks green hobbey for that;)
    and yeah it is a disgrace ripping of a 10 year old kid like that, no matter the age but 10 is even worse ;-/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The trouble with tuning a car for a beginner (from the pro's point of view) is that 2 things go wrong:

1 The tuning settings of a model engine while running-in cannot be at "best", since the engine is still loosening up, a different setting will be "best" after another 30 minutes running time. Only after it stops running in can a "best" tuning be arrived at which will be permanent. Then the weather gets warmer/colder and this "best tuning setting" needs toi be adjusted slightly to compensate.

2 The beginner has to learn to tune it himself. So he has to "tinker" with it - after all, that's how we all learn. But not many write down what they did, so they can undo it. Generally they return to the shop 2 to 3 times and get it retuned (for free) in front of them, and the shop explains where they went wrong. So by the 3rd time the shop has retuned it, the beginner knows the game, and it's ok from then on.

The job takes a few seconds, so no credible model shop should charge for doing it.

Good shops will either charge to tune a car they didnt sell, or refuse to touch it. Depends on the shop. Either way they will only charge for parts replaced in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AndyPipkin2007

thanks, there is a nice truck in dundalk for 400, check it out, i will post a pic of it from shop window.. on friday

Advertisement