Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cousins

Options
  • 31-03-2006 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

First of all im not a sicko or anything like that. But whats the story with relationships with cousins. Im not talking first cousins now but 3rd cousins. Just seen one of mine at a funeral the other day and couldnt help but fancy her. Wouldnt and didnt try anything but wondered what the general opinion on the matter was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

First cousins can marry with a dispensation. My aunt married her first cousin. 2nd cousins I believe are problematic because of the bloodlines getting closer but open to corrction on that. Not sure about the 3rd cousins. Do as your heart or other organs tell you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

incest is best, so put your sister to the test.

Cant keep it in the pants keep it in the family.

P.S try using a subject thath asnt already been posted 3 times, might be more believable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Warning Unhelpful and off topic post will get you banned from this forum.

Ireland is a small country and dublin is even smaller.
    The there is a taboo against getting involved with your frist cousin but it is not
    illeagal and there is none against 2nd or 3rd cousins.

There may be a need a genetic scan if you were considering having children with a 2nd or 3rd cousin but generally you would date some one first.

It certainly is not as unusual as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Afaik 2nd cousins are at extremely high risk genetics wise, I've no real idea why 2nd cousins as apposed to 1st. 3rd cousins are ment to be grand from having a kid point of view. Personally i couldn't know my third cousins if one walked up to me, chances are names would be well seperated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First of all im not a sicko or anything like that. But whats the story with relationships with cousins. Im not talking first cousins now but 3rd cousins. Just seen one of mine at a funeral the other day and couldnt help but fancy her. Wouldnt and didnt try anything but wondered what the general opinion on the matter was
    Have you seen the movie Wedding Crashers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

No i havent, didnt know the subject had been talked about before. To be honest i dont think ill be seeing my cousin again. Just one of those things, doubt anything would or will come out of it. Just wanted to know what the general story is with regard to your cousin, must be people out there who have ended up together without even knowing they were related somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

In Italy people do it alot so why not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

LiouVille wrote:
    Afaik 2nd cousins are at extremely high risk genetics wise, I've no real idea why 2nd cousins as apposed to 1st. 3rd cousins are ment to be grand from having a kid point of view. Personally i couldn't know my third cousins if one walked up to me, chances are names would be well seperated.

But wouldn't 2nd cousins be a lot less close genetically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Pythia wrote:
    But wouldn't 2nd cousins be a lot less close genetically?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_cousin

This is the second time in so many weeks this has been raised on boards. You are still genetically close, so this should not be a consideration. Full stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement