Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice about relocation

Options
  • 31-03-2006 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm a college student directly in the middle of my studies as an interpreter/translator, and I am considering moving to Ireland. I'm not a citizen of the EU, and I'd have to get the proper paperwork of course and all that.

Mainly I'm just seeking advice on steps I can take now, things I should know, that sort of thing. I really despise the place I live (not just on a city-wide level either) and I think that Ireland would be a wonderful place to live.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm just really scared, I want to do this, I just don't know where to start or how to get there.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

Preparation is really important for a step like this. Have you really thought this through, or is this still a dream/ambition? You must have some clue about how to go about this?? Be sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Grass always seems greener on the other side...

Practically, you should contact the Irish Embassy of whichever country you're in to get information on eligibility and permission to live /work /study.
    Having some idea of what you're going to do when you get to Ireland will also help. Can you take courses there related to your degree? Ask your college about exchange opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

i guess the main thing is is to sign up for clubs, even volunteer within the community you are moving to. its exciting moving somewhere, but after a couple of weeks loneliness will set in. best not to be sitting around doing nothing.
    i think if your going to be working in dublin that you should live somewhere outside of dublin city, in a smaller community such as bray or skerries.
    always good to get into touch with someone from your own country who lives in ireland, just so you can talk to them while youre here about problems and to bitch about the irish a bit;)

Advertisement