Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shyness, depression & job interviews

Options
  • 30-03-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I cant even pretend to be confident in interviews. I'm sick of staying at home, i want to work but I just fcuk up interviews. I know all the right things to say but they just wont come out properly. Help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

In what way do you screw up? Getting the interviews in the first place suggests you're suitably qualified etc. What happens when you get to interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Are you just nervous or what? Sound like a self esteem booster is in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

shyguy78 wrote:
    I cant even pretend to be confident in interviews. I'm sick of staying at home, i want to work but I just fcuk up interviews. I know all the right things to say but they just wont come out properly. Help.

i know the feeling went for a interview last friday,the interviewer was 30 mins late stuck in a meeting so theres me sitting down sweaty palms shaking like a leaf.
    when i finally got into the interview he went through a lot of what the company is about telling me what they do and the like.When he asked what i do in my current job my mind just went blank and i started stuttering.but i took a few breaths composed my self and got through it..

found out today i got the job.:)

have a look throught the work forums for advice on interview tips thats what i did too

theres a lot of great advice there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just try and be yourself OP. Try doing something relaxing before the interviews, get as many interviews under your belt and eventually everything should work out, its all experience and you will get some confidence. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What kind of jobs are you looking for? If they are jobs that requires specific skills then spend some time reviewing how yours fit the roles and improving them if necessary/possible. If you go into an interview with then things you need to know sufficiently fresh in tour mind then you should be able to get them across.

If you go in worried about the time you have spent sitting around depressed and not advancing your skills then it will come across in the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I was in the same situation as you last year when i finished college. I had very strong results from college but just completely lacked confidence in interviews. In the end I got interview coaching and that helped me a lot (i've now been working in a good job that i'm happy with for 7 months).

The main advice i'd give though is preparation. After several interviews you should know the type of questions that are coming up in interviews so you should be able to prepared for them. This can go as far as writing down sample answers and practising them and basically make sure you know your stuff.

The second bit of advice to give is to be enthusiastic. Make sure you know the role and the company very well and why you want to work there. In the interview give every indication that this the job you want, but also why you are suitable for the job (this links in with preparation).

I think the better prepared you are the more confident you will be. But it is important not to get disheartened by one or two bad interviews or rejections, you really have to stick with it to get a job in the end.

Finally, Best of Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Obviously everything that has already been said is relevant, also try not to let multiple bad outcomes faze you. When you're looking for a job you will do dozens of interviews, (probably), before finding a job. Try not to take that as a personal slight.

And just try to bear in mind it's only a job interview. the people on the panel have no control over any other aspect of your life. Be prepared for the interviews, and just do it, forget worrying about it before, or after, just do it, and once it's done that's the end of it. You've put your best foot forward, and that's all you can do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Also remember, you have to sell yourself to them. Show them why you are good for the company and better than everyone else and dont be shy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I used to be the same way. I have been working since I was 15 but I did not have my first interview until I was 18. It is nervewracking. Basically there are some questions that are practically guarunteed to come up. What are your weaknesses, strenghts and what do you think this job involves doing. The best thing you can do is be prepared for these and try and have answers for the questions that you think will come up. Also, there is no shame in going into an interview and telling the interviewer that you are nervous. It is surprising how understanding some of them can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your replies, i know all the right things to say I just have no confidence in myself to make them sound convincing. I suppose what I really need is a way to boost my confidence before I go into an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have a look at doing a personal development course.
    Get intouch with Fas or your local employment officer to find out about one near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well ... I can empathise a bit with the OP. I was like that a bit when I was younger. And, while I don't recommend it for the OP ... these days I am inclined to start an interview with a potential employer by asking - "Why should I come work for you ?" And also, I do undertand things like saying to an employer - "Sorry, but I do know where the door is".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I had the same problem finised college with decent results but kept messing up in Interviews mainly due to lack of confidence and experence but eventualy I got a job(after about 12 interview) and I think that when I have to go for one in the future I will be far better at it because im no confident I can do my job well
    Just keep aplying for jobs and going to interviews eventualy you will get used to them and not take them as seriously and you will be grand.

Advertisement