Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holsten Premier League of Darts - Week 6

• 30-03-2006 1:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Week 6 of the Premier League is upon us and this weeks matches are being played in Peter Manleys home twon of Carlisle. the matches for tonight are as follows:

Holsten Premier League Darts
    Night Six, Sands Centre, Carlisle
    Phil Taylor v Peter Manley
    Ronnie Baxter v Colin Lloyd
    Wayne Mardle v Roland Scholten
    Peter Manley v Raymond van Barneveld

Live on Sky Sports 1, 7.30pm

Manley is the man that us up twice tonight in front of his home crowd so he will be hoping to do well. First up for him is TAylor who I expect to win quite comfortably, maybe 8-3 to Taylor.

Baxter has been playing very well of late and is up against a lacklustre Colin Lloyd who has so far been very disappointing in the Premier League. He needs to start getting points on the board if he is to go through and I expect this one could go all the way.

Mardle finally put in a good performance last week and if you can remember back to last year he did the same thing by starting very badly and not winning any matches for the first 4 weeks to going desperately close to qualifying for the semi-finals. Scholten as usual is highly unpredictable but im hoping for a MArdle win in this.

Last up Manley is back on stage for his second match against Barney. It could hardly be a tougher night for Manley playing both Taylor and Barney in the same night and I expect him to lose both matches.

If this weeks matches are anything like last weeks then we are all in for a real treat of darts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Holsten Premier League Darts
    Night Six, Carlisle

Phil Taylor 8-1 Peter Manley
    Ronnie Baxter 4-8 Colin Lloyd
    Wayne Mardle 7-7 Roland Scholten
    Peter Manley 3-8 Raymond van Barneveld

Phil Taylor leads two points clear at the top of the Premier League Darts standings. 13-times world champion, Taylor, averaged 108 against Peter Manley (who averaged 102).
    Taylor hit bull for a 121 finish to take the first leg against the darts at 2-0. A brief respite when Taylor missed three darts at 41- but Manley also missed three darts at 76.

'One Dart' hit the first 180 of the match and took the fourth leg but that was it for the Carlisle man, who has only ever beaten Taylor once in a televised match. Taylor won the fifth leg with a 13-darter and Manley missed three darts at 24 in the sixth and then allowed the Power to run away with the next two legs - hitting an 80 finish to finish the match.

Taylor was keen to praise Manley: "That's what you have got to do to beat Peter now," Taylor told Sky Sports. "He's had a lot of support tonight and I think he's a little bit deflated. He shouldn't be - he's played absolutely superb up there, a 102 average is enough to win any week. "I was let off when he missed the 76 and the double 12 as well".

Worrld number one Colin Lloyd won just his second match in the current series when defeating Ronnie Baxter 8-4. His previous game against Ronnie during the series had seen him defeated 8-3..

"I needed that big time," the Essex man said. "I knew I had a tough game tonight. I know my form is gradually coming back and that's good for me and bad news for the others.

Wayne Mardle's hopes of making the semi-finals have almost certainly disappeared after Dutchman Roland Scholten battled back from 6-4 down to earn a 7-7 draw. World Championship semi-finalist Mardle has yet to win a match and remains rooted to the foot of the table.

"My trouble is I get bored. I've got the brain of a three-year-old. I've just got to liven up and prepare for every game as if it's my last and I don't do that."

Peter Manley, in the final match of the night, was defeated by Raymond van Barneveld. 8-3.

The Dutch four-time BDO world champion remains unbeaten and in second place behind Taylor in the standings.

PHIL TAYLOR 8-1 PETER MANLEY

PHIL TAYLOR stormed past Peter Manley to remain unbeaten in the Holsten Premier League Darts with an 8-1 triumph.

The defending champion returned to top form with a blistering display, averaging almost 108 and dropping just one leg in the match.

He won the opening three legs without reply, a 121 finish in the second leg breaking Manley's throw.

Manley hit the first 180 of the game in the fourth leg, and landed double five to hit back.

He opened the next leg with a maximum, but Taylor responded with one of his own before hitting double four to restore his advantage.

Taylor made Manley pay for three missed darts at a double in the next to go into the break 5-1 up, and wasted little time in wrapping up the match after the restart, taking the next three legs in style.

"It was a cracking game," said Taylor. "Peter averaged 102 and he's getting back to his best, so I knew I had to play well.

"He let me off with a couple of missed doubles, and I knew I had to step in and hit him hard."

RONNIE BAXTER 4-8 COLIN LLOYD

COLIN LLOYD bounced back into form with an 8-4 victory over Ronnie Baxter in the Holsten Premier League Darts at Carlisle's Sands Centre.

World number one Lloyd has not won since the second night of this year's tournament, but produced a clinical display to move onto five points for the competition.

He averaged 100 in the match, but perhaps more crucially was that he handed 57 percent of his checkouts.

Baxter played his part in a high quality contest, landing five maximums to Lloyd's four.

The opening four legs all went against the throw to leave Lloyd 2-1 up, before he gained a crucial two-leg lead by winning the fourth.

He maintained that cushion going into the break at 4-2, before taking the first two legs after the restart to move four legs clear.

Baxter hit back to win the next two, but Lloyd regained the momentum with a brilliant 11-dart leg before wrapping up the win with a two-dart 67 finish.

"I needed that," he admitted. "Ronnie turned me over 8-3 in Aberdeen but I know I'm better than that and the form is gradually coming back.

"Tonight was all about getting the two points but I know I've got to send the message out to the other players that I'm starting to get back to my best.

"I've got some tough games remaining but I've got the hunger back, the fight back and I've got the bit between my teeth."

WAYNE MARDLE 7-7 ROLAND SCHOLTEN

WAYNE MARDLE and Roland Scholten shared the spoils from a pulsating clash in the Holsten Premier League Darts at Carlisle's Sands Centre.

Mardle picked up his first point of the 2006 tournament with a 7-all draw against Colin Lloyd last week, and repeated that result against the Dutchman.

However, he needed to show his battling spirit to come from behind early on, and then to live with his heavy-scoring opponent late on.

He was first to grab a point at 7-6, before Scholten hit back with a 13-dart leg in the decider to secure a draw.

The first two legs went against the throw, and Mardle won the third with a two-dart 58 checkout before wasting the chance to move 3-1 up.

Scholten then hit an 11-dart leg, but another two to Mardle either side of the break took him 4-3 up.

He missed two darts at double 18 in the next leg, allowing Scholten to level, but then moved 6-4 up.

The Dutchman responded, hitting two maximums on his way to winning the 11th leg before landing a fifth 180 of the game in the next as he levelled.

Mardle opened the 13th leg with his fifth maximum, and took out double top with his first dart to secure a point.

But Scholten landed a 180 to give him the breathing space to set up a double 18 finish to take the draw.

"I never felt I should be behind but I missed too many doubles," said Scholten.

"Wayne kept plugging away but I feel I should have won and I'm not happy with a draw if I'm honest."

Mardle remains at the foot of the table following the draw, but said: "If I play well in the remaining five games I will qualify.

"I'm playing slightly better than I have done recently, but I was mediocre for parts of this game and I know I can't afford to draw."

PETER MANLEY 3-8 RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD continued his unbeaten start to the 2006 Holsten Premier League by completing the double over Peter Manley in Carlisle.

The Dutch star defeated Manley 8-3 in Bournemouth last week, and repeated that scoreline to keep up the pressure on leader Phil Taylor.

Manley took the opening leg, but van Barneveld won the next three without reply to punish his opponent, the highlight being a cool 96 finish to put him ahead at 2-1.

A 104 finish ensured that he entered the break 4-2 up, and he further extended his lead before Manley won the eighth leg.

Van Barneveld responded with a 12-dart leg to restore a three-leg lead, and then took the next two to wrap up the victory.

"I'm happy I won again, but it wasn't my best display," said van Barneveld, who travelled from Holland on the day of the game.

"I was a little tired up there tonight and I never got comfortable. If there was a night I was beatable, maybe this was it.

"I missed a few darts at doubles but to get the win is pleasing."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Taylor was pretty much unstoppable against Manley who despite having a 102 avaerage could only win 1 leg. He did have a few chances on the Taylor throw though, especially in the first couple of legs but he didnt take them. easy win for Taylor and the best average in the Premier League so far.

Lloyd finally looked like the player we know he is last night by beating Baxter 8-4. Baxter didnt play badly at times but one or two missed doubles cost him. Lloyd looked very determined last night to get the win that ne badly needed. That win actually means he goes ahead of Baxter on legs difference into fourth spot.

I really felt Mardle should have beaten SCholten in the end despite the fact that Roland had won against the throw twice only for Mardle to come back. At 6-4 up Mardle was looking good but as usual he had a terrible leg of darts on his throw after breaking Scholten and allowed the dutch man to break right back again. You could see he was disappointed but I dont think he is out of it yet. Most of the games he has left are against the guys who are lower down in the table and if he can win them he will qualify. He pretty mush has to win them all now at this stage or hope for results to go his way. Scholten on the other hand looks almost certain to qualify after another good performance.

Barney didnt look his usual self in the fna match of the night when he only averaed 97 which is pretty poor for him but Manley was very poor and I think the match against Taylor earlier on took alot out of him. It ended up being a pretty easy win for Barney who has now pretty much booked his place in the semi-finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Barney wasnt at his best at all but still had more than enough to beat Manley. I think now thats his semi final place secured and He can now relax somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Alright lads not to sure if i can post this here but here it goes. Since the darts started up i have made a nice few pound for betting one example last week had 2,750 on barney to beat manley bad odds 4/11 but i knew it was money in the bag. This weeks darts Lloyd who has shown bad form of late isnt throwing bad darts and i think he is a nice bet at 8/11 boylesports to beat scholten.
    Lloyd is 4/7 to beat scholten in ladbrokes. boylesports are offering far to big odds for him. but it wont be around for long

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This weeks darts Lloyd who has shown bad form of late isnt throwing bad darts and i think he is a nice bet at 8/11 boylesports to beat scholten

Risky if you ask me. Scholten has been in good form so far and his only losses have been against the big two. Lloyd has been very inconsistant and is only finding his form now. For the odds on offer I certainly wouldnt risk it. Let me know how you get on :D

• Advertisement

yes that is very true but he played well in his last game and had a better three dart average by 10 and Lloyd has a game in hand over scholten and is three points behind he knows he needs to beat him.
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/PremierLeagueDetail/0,,10180~785018,00.html

I wouldnt bet as much as i did with barney but i still think he would be worth a right few pound. As for a big bet i think i will wait till the 15th when the snooker starts Mark Williams who is in very fine form if anyone watched the last tornament will know this and i think he is a juicy bet at 4/9 to beat anathony hamilton.:cool:

dam got beat 8-5 he cant finish ta save his life.

Advertisement