Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Question

Options
  • 30-03-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Sorry if this has been asked before guys, did a search in the forum and saw nothing that really answered my questions.

Anyway, the question I have is what is the best way to set up Skype? I'm running XP, and it works fine, but sound quality is terrible (on pc to pc calls)

So, the question I have is how do you improve it? Do headsets make a big difference and if so what is a good one to buy?

Also, does network configuration make a big deal. I have a wireless network at home with two computers attached (using an SMC barricade router), although one would only be on while using Skype. I get DSL off irish broadband and get about 1MB up and down(also wireless).

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You have to have a headset otherwise it will indeed sound terrible. They're cheap unless you want a USB headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Well you've a few possible contributing factors to rule in/out there :

Headset (will definitely improve sound if you're currently using microphone/speakers)

Wireless (try wired if possible - this will rule out possible signal issues on your wireless network)

PC-to-PC (try dialling a landline from Skype just to rule out the PC at the other end)

Irish Broadband (have a lot of VERY bad connections). Check your real bandwidth to see what you're actually getting.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Blaster99 wrote:
    You have to have a headset otherwise it will indeed sound terrible. They're cheap unless you want a USB headset.

USB handsets are widely available on ebay. Quite cheap also. Anyone know what sort of quality to expect from these type.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are you dowloading anything when you are using skype, if you are downloading and uploading at the same time, if you were using something such as Limewire, this would effect dramticilly the quality of calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Aquos76 wrote:
    USB handsets are widely available on ebay. Quite cheap also. Anyone know what sort of quality to expect from these type.

I've only ever used Plantronics USB headsets. They're excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement