Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain brushes off front derailleur

Options
  • 30-03-2006 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

maintenance question here:

If I am in my middle (or even largest) front bash ring, and then shift to the smaller cogs at the back, the chain starts to rub off a bit of the front derailleur (the right hand part), if I shift to the larger cogs, then it's OK. Obviously, I have to make a slight adjustment somewhere to stop this, however, in the past I've managed to mess it up a bit, so where should I start? The tensioning screws maybe? I'd like to handle this myself rather than bringing it to a bike shop.
    any ideas?

cheers

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm
    and
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    might be of use to you.
    You might just need a slight adjustment of your barrel adjuster on your gear shifter.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are on the middle at the front you should not be on the smallest cogs on the back. I used to do the same thing and my mate showed me the excess wear on the back cogs and the chain was in bits too from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You shouldn't be shifting to the smaller cogs - it causes the chain to bend a bit and that's not good. Your bike manual should mention this.
    From the last paragraph of How To Shift Your Bicycle's Gears
    Try to avoid the gears that make the chain cross over at an extreme angle. These "criss-cross" gears are bad for the chain and sprockets. Especially bad is to combine the inside (small) front sprocket with the outside (small) rear sprocket. This noisy, inefficient gear causes the chain to wear out prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks for the replies/links guys.

I'm aware that the chain should not be crossed (been warned about that loads :) ). That said I probably was chain-crossing a bit, although I wasn't in the smallest of the rear rings. I'd still like to get rid of the noise.

I'll see if I can sort it this eve

P

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

rubadub wrote:
    If you are on the middle at the front you should not be on the smallest cogs on the back. I used to do the same thing and my mate showed me the excess wear on the back cogs and the chain was in bits too from it.

I differ from this view. When in the middle chain ring, it should be possible to use both the smallest and the largest cog without chain rub.
    In your case, it sounds like your cable has stretched a little. The easiest way to fix this is to use the adjusting screw on you gear lever. Just screw it out a couple of turns, then pedal to test, screw out a bit more etc... If you're already at maximum, you'll probably have to adjust the cable which is a bit more tedious. Don't forget to keep your cables clean and oiled to allow them to run smoothly through the outers.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

What you are doing puts the chain at an angle going from largest ring at front to the smallest at the back.The best thing to do is not to use the last two gears at the back when on the largest ring on the front.If you continue you will wear the chain and the cogs and they will need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

wideangle wrote:
    What you are doing puts the chain at an angle going from largest ring at front to the smallest at the back.
    Am I missing something here? Is that not a sensable combination for going downhill, i.e. your most difficuly gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

the rule, as far as I am aware, is: avoid large to large and avoid small to small.

With regard to my original post, last night I adjusted the angle of the deraileur. I could see that it wasn't quite parrallel with the chain rings. I didn't notice the problem on my cycle this morning.

sorted

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

wideangle wrote:
    What you are doing puts the chain at an angle going from largest ring at front to the smallest at the back.The best thing to do is not to use the last two gears at the back when on the largest ring on the front.If you continue you will wear the chain and the cogs and they will need replacing.
    Largest at the front to smallest at the back is fine, the chain won't be at much of an angle as it's in the outermost cog front and back. The problem is when using the biggest with the biggest or the smallest with the smallest. THis shouldn't cause problems as similiar ratios should be availible by using a different gear.

Advertisement