Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Break: Manhunt (Season 2 Confirmed)

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭

Prison Break is getting a second season.... I'm a bit worried about this, to be honest....

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940479?categoryid=14&cs=1&s=h&p=0

(Spoiler-y stuff marked as such....)
    Fox is adding another year to "Prison Break's" sentence.

Net has given an early sophomore-season renewal to the 20th Century Fox TV-produced suspense thriller, which returned to strong ratings last week after a four-month hiatus. Pickup follows earlier renewals for "American Idol," "Bones," "The Simpsons," "King of the Hill" and "Family Guy."

"Prison Break" exec producer Matt Olmstead told Daily Variety that season two will focus on the escapees as they try to elude capture.

"Season two is basically 'Prison Break: Manhunt,' " Olmstead said. "It's constant pursuit. No one's safe. No one retires to their home in the country."

In addition to focusing on the search for the prisoners, skeinskein will explore the various backstories and agendas that connect them.

Skein will continue to shoot on location in Chicago for the first half of next season but will relocate -- most likely to New Mexico or somewhere in the Southwest -- for the final nine segs.

"We want to keep a distinctive look for the show" rather than shoot it in Los Angeles, Olmstead said.

Most of the cast will return,
    though the bodies will pile up by May's season finale

"In the last two episodes,
    three people bite it
    ," he said.
    Among the casualties: one of the eight core prisoners

While there's been talk that the concept of "Break" means the skein might last only two seasons at most, Olmstead is convinced it can last much longer.

"There's no cap on this show, as far as I'm concerned," he said. "As long as we find compelling stories for the characters, it can go on."

Ratings for "Break" certainly give Fox incentive to continue the skein.

In its two Monday 8 p.m. airings this month, show has increased Fox's season-to-date ratings in the slot 57% among adults 18-49, averaging a 4.4/12. Skein's perfperf is even more boffoboffo among adults 18-34, improving Fox's numbers by 81%.

Numbers for "Break" are particularly impressive given the show's early timeslot and its status as one of Fox's few frosh not to get some sort of sampling from an "American Idol" lead-in.

Fox Entertainment prexy Peter Liguori made "Break" the focus of his summer marketing strategy, bowing the skein in August to give it a head start on the fall rush. Paul Scheuring created "Break" and exec produces with Olmstead, Dawn Parouse, Marty Adelstein, Neal Moritz and Brett Ratner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭KrankStricher

meh, but let's not criticise, they could pull it off!

(FTL;Oh dear goodness why?>)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Fs, they reveled a fair bit about season 1 in that.

Season 2 sounds ****e anyway, its gonna go down the pan.

hey, let's not criticise, they could pull it off!

(FTL; deja vu)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoilerish stuff hidden in original article... sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

i'm enjoying season one but I hope for my own sake I don't get stuck into season two.

• Advertisement

you should get rid of the word
    "though"
    before the first spoiler it kind of suggests the way sentence is going.
    (FTL;Helpful advice @TMB)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

I think that this is a bad idea to be honest, I think one season is enough to be honest, I'm not reading any of the spoiler stuff so I have no idea what they have planned. I though the first 14 episodes were just brilliant but 15 was poo enough to be honest, it was just the same stuff the whole time, you just know that Michael is never going to get caught doing all this stuff, and the last episode really showed this, like when he was at he steaming pipe, and everytime he comes up with a new plan it goes wrong or gets foiled.
    They would be better of tying everything up at the end of season 1 and not leaving a big cliff hanger at the end of it. I would then think that it was a fantastic series!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boo! Hiss! HISSS! *mutters about money-grabbing FOX bastards*

Already I felt that 1x15 showed signs of being a forced extension that didn't really work for me. A second season, some sort of horrific Fugitive spinoff, does not sound like something that could ever work. Yes, I could be wrong but I can't see how the format would allow for the whole clever planning that Michael put into play in S1 and that's half the reason for watching the show.

I mean is he going to have bank a/c numbers tatooed on him? Road maps? Survival guides? Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Come on! Stop judging it before this season has even finished. Yes it does sound like it could flop and be a bad idea,but on the other hand the first season has been so good that we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Just wait until the first episode of season 2...then decide if the entire season will be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. It has potential.....

I definitely think that the 4 month break has absolutely killed the momentum of this series. I'm not as in love with this half as I was the first half. I hope they learn from their mistakes (and use 3 or 4 week gaps like Lost to kill momentum instead) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I'll be watching, just to see how Michael will fit an entire tattoo of New Mexico on his legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why are people already saying season 2 will be **** when season 1 isnt even over yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For feck sakes... one particularly weak episode and people are giving up on it already!

Never mind that 'Arrested Development' had some incredibly weak episodes in Season 3 and people still claim it was amazing until the very end. Gimme a break! Watch those episodes with Rita again and tell me how good they were! :rolleyes:

Yes, ideally 'Prison Break' should have been a one season show but i'm interested to see where they go with this. Give it a chance before dismissing it.

As TmB said.. yes, the hiatus it had was not particularly kind to it.

PS - for the record, i also reckon '24' should have been a one season show also. Jack Bauer is clearly now the unluckiest man in television history...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

There is so many unexpected twists in 24, unlike prison break.
    24 is miles ahead of PB.
    They just don't compare.
    PB is just getting too predicable, and as was said earlier, you know Michael is not going to get caught doing anything.
    And as someone already said:
    "everytime he comes up with a new plan it goes wrong or gets foiled."
    and I'll add to that..
    everytime he comes up with a new plan it goes wrong or gets foiled. Then comes up with a new plan and same thing happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

basquille wrote:
    Never mind that 'Arrested Development' had some incredibly weak episodes in Season 3 and people still claim it was amazing until the very end. Gimme a break! Watch those episodes with Rita again and tell me how good they were! :rolleyes:

Don't bad mouth AD fool! ;) . Those episodes with Rita were good. She was a weak character but the episodes were still great. Plus, one of my favourite episodes of season 3, "Forget Me Not", had Rita on screen for a large portion of the running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

dawballz wrote:
    24 is miles ahead of PB.
    They just don't compare.
    PB is just getting too predicable, and as was said earlier, you know Michael is not going to get caught doing anything.
    and I'll add to that..
    everytime he comes up with a new plan it goes wrong or gets foiled. Then comes up with a new plan and same thing happens

Wouldnt say that at all...I reckon so far PB has been better than seasons 3 and 4 of 24,as 24 took a major dip in quality,however season 5 has been brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dawballz wrote:
    24 is miles ahead of PB.
    They just don't compare.
    and I'll add to that..

try and think of Prison Break as not real life and enjoy it

dawballz wrote:
    24 is miles ahead of PB.
    They just don't compare.
    Who said i was comparing them? :confused:

As much as i enjoy '24'.. it's just as ludicrous as 'Prison Break'! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

basquille wrote:
    Pretty damn good actually. I think they worked better on re-watch because I knew more about Rita's character. They weren't as good as some of the earlier episodes but, looking back now, I still find plenty to enjoy in each so it was good, IMHO, until the end.
    Yes, ideally 'Prison Break' should have been a one season show but i'm interested to see where they go with this. Give it a chance before dismissing it.
    It's the premise though. It sounds awful. What's irked me about the annoucement is that, even the name of the second season, spoils so much for what happens in the first season. We know certain events now must happen in order for it and that's going to lessen suspense for the second season.

I think what's grating a bit is that, initially, the show had a great plan. It had direction. What I felt is that, with 1x15, we're seeing it veer off track in order to extend its run and now, with S2, it's going in a different direction. I loved the speed and energy it was travelling with and fear this S2 idea could make for a more tiresome less interesting journey. Of course I'll give it a chance but the possibilities - the cunning plans, the wits - don't seem to have as much possibility in a Fugitive-esque show.

PS - for the record, i also reckon '24' should have been a one season show also. Jack Bauer is clearly now the unluckiest man in television history...!
    Completely agree and I enjoyed S2 and am enjoying S5. I said it at the time and would still say it. But then I'm like that and want only the fondest of memories before the rot sets in (I'm looking at you X-Files!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

me cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Royale

way to re-hash an old thread, "me can't wait"
    mind-blowing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ya know when I first heard of the idea and I saw a poster I thought the show would be new, I imagined one of those new supermax prison in light stone, with what its like to escape out of a brand new prison, like Oz but not with Oz's glass and plastic, it seemed to fall back on old prison movie atmostpheres and plots. I thought how would you escape out of prison with sturdy grills at regular points in it ducts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i know the filming is begining on June 15th but when is the first ep of S2 being shown? I gotta see tbag with a stump and only with one pockkkettt a going!

i know the filming is begining on June 15th but when is the first ep of S2 being shown?
    Probably September / October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

FOX has it scheduled for August 28th - that's less than 3 months away, so we'll be needing a PB forum ASAP :)

Advertisement