Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold sores !!!!!!

Options
  • 28-03-2006 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i got one ! one day ago ive tried everything EVERYTHING nothing works at all so heres what i tried .... i waited for some thing to show and i cut it it messes up the cold sores way of working i was abit worried of infection , its fine but it works !!! i hear colds sores are for life true ??? any and all information , comments are more than welcome for others as way i want to win the war against the fat sick lip help !?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Cymex and Zovirax are too good over the counter medicated creams for Cold Sores. Cold Sores are caused by the Herpes Virus, which does remain in your system indefinitely. The virus is carried by probably most of the population and only rears its head when your immune system is low i.e when sick or under stress etc... etc....
    You cant ever totally get rid of them, and they are infectious to others.
    You could try a google search for more info, ask your pharmacist about cold sore products, or post in the Biology/Medicine forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

a cold sore is a virus, specifically the herpes simplex virus. this is not to be confused with genital herpes. you are correct when you say that infection is for life.

i find that i get a cold sore during times of stress and if my immune system is down. there are many remedies out there to reduce the swelling, i.e. the cold sore. if you want to go down the natural route, try tea tree oil. just dab a bit on cotton woll and apply to the cold sore. i find it very effective, especially if caught early.

i'm not sure if i read your post correctly, did you try to cut the cold sore off??? this is crazy! you will scar your lips for life.

people get cold sores all the time. it's no biggie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hadoken

used to get one every christmas and summer without fail..ie until I started in the gym and got to work on my lack of fitness..it's been well over a 18 months since I last got it.and yes they're for life..until science comes out with a cure..
    being stressed out,rundown will cause it to reappear as well as sunlight (start of the summer) but do the above and u should be fine..anything that boosts ur immune system

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you have one that won't dry up, some iodine from your local chemist will do the job better than Zovirax or similar creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Be warned. Iodine on a cold sore does work but it will stink like f**k!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

a cold sore is a virus, specifically the herpes simplex virus. this is not to be confused with genital herpes. you are correct when you say that infection is for life.

They can be interchangable though. If you perform oral sex on a person with an outbreak of genital herpes, you can become infected and get cold sores on your own. The same goes for performing oral sex if you have an outbreak on your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Savlon is really every bit as good as the stupidly overpriced Zovirax.

And a bit of after shave does the job nicely too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Savlon is really every bit as good as the stupidly overpriced Zovirax.

There are cheaper alternatives to zovirax as the GSK patent on aciclovir has run out. However Savlon is an antiseptic. Zovirax is an antiviral cream. It cannot kill the virus, but it does send it back where it came from faster.

edit: thought it said "a bit of a shave" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

with a crap diet, constant boozing etc. I used to get cold sores alot cos I was run down alot.

In recent years a combination of a better diet and L-Lysine tablets have meant I've got one cold sore in the last two/two and a half years.

If I was feeling a bit run down I'd start taking the Lysine again. What I used do was take 2/3 tabs a day if I thought a cold sore was coming (tingle etc.) Usually did the job.

You can get Lysine in any big vitamin/health shop. Dunno how it works but it works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bob Sakamano

Wet a teabag and put on it on your lips when ya feel the tingle works for me .It also reduces the time cold sores stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest you get a hot poker .....

Look go to doctor / pharmacist, they see these things everyday and have the right solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭groundedplane

Hey,

I suffer from Cold Sores all my life and by God, when I got one the fecker would last 2 - 3 weeks and would look disgusting. I tried everything. Over the counter creams would make it worste. The only thing I could do was let it run its course.

I live in the Florida (EX PAT - Dublin) and work in a Hosiptal so when I had one a Doctor gave me some pills call VALTREX.

VALTREX is mainly prescribed if you have a breakout of Genital Herpies. Since Cold Sores are of the same family, this medicine works wonders.

I get Cold Sores when I am stressed and run down and When I feel one coming on, I take two of these pills right away. It attacks the virus from within, and if I catch when its a tingle and take two pills it stops it from blistering it will be gone in a day or two.

Speak with your Doctor about VALTREX its great. As a matter of fact, I keep two pills always by me in case I get that dreaded tingle on my lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi , i used to get them every time i went on hols or during exams, stress and stuff, then after hours of internet searching i found my cure, L-Lysine, i take one everyday and have not got a cold sore in 1.5 years, down from 3-4 a year.

50 tablets from heath food shops is a tenner well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

i came across a new product called compeed its a clear circular kind of patch that you put on over your coldsore when you feel the tingling. it prevents it from turning into a scab and makes them heal a bit faster. i bought some when there was already a scab there and after a few days the whole scab came away and there was nothing underneath totally healed normally they would last between 7 - 10 days. not sure what the active ingredient is but there are 15 in a pack for about 10 euros. they have a website www.compeed.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Womens Perfume or aftershave, stings like f*ck but sends the blighters into oblivion!

Advertisement