Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about mature student

Options
  • 28-03-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Someone I know has a few questions about going to college as a mature student, and I said I'd put them up here as I wasn't sure of the answers. I know what happens with a graduate student but this person hasn't got a previous degree.

They're doing a diploma in something related to physiotherapy at the minute, and want to go on and do a degree in the subject. Would it just be based on an interview/look at their credentials or would the points they got in their leaving come into play?

Also what about fees? They've never done a degree as I said, never even started one, so would they be eligible for free fees?

They're the only ones I can think of at the moment, forgotten the others, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As a mature student leaving cert shouldn't matter. Things like the diploma would be considereed and they would hopefully get to the interview stage.

If they haven't been to college previously I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be eligible for free fees (unless the diploma was full time and free fees). I think the entitlement is for free fees one time around for each year of college - ie a repeated year you pay fees or a 2nd degree you'd also pay.

To get to the interview stage the college will be looking for evidence of why they would be suitable for the course, what related things they've done (e.g. the diploma), what life / work experience they have, how they plan to support themselves through college (that they've given some basic consideration to this at least). General stuff like why they're interested and why they think they'd be good at the course - they won't be so much interested that they only got Ds on the Leaving Cert 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 applez

Once your friend is over 21 their previous education does not come into it. Also fees are now abolished for anyone within the EU who has not attended college before.
    I know a bit about this because I am hoping to become a muture student this year (fingers crossed!) I have an interview on Friday in Mater Dei and I was hoping someone could tell me what to expect.... From what I can gather from the letter they sent me I have to write an essay and then a one on one interview - I am so nervous I would love if someone could tell me what to expect:rolleyes:

Advertisement