Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last straw

Options
  • 28-03-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 20 and living at home. Today I recieved a letter by registered mail. I was not at home and my mam opened it for me and read it out over the phone. I have been summonsed to court. Last year at the electric picnic a garda stopped me and 2 friends and took a small ammount of hash off us. I asked what would happen and was told, probably a warning, now I've been summonsed!

I haven't been getting on with my mam lately anyway and life at home is slowly getting worse. Now I feel this may be the last straw.

Initially after withdrawing from college I went through terrible depression (even suicidal) and at one stage slept about 8 hours in one week. I finally got to sleep by smoking a joint with a friend and have barely smoked it since, only once or twice since last summer to help me sleep.

what can I do to ease tension at home? What happens now? legally? what kind of fines, punishments will I get? I have a respectable job and have NEVER been in trouble with the law before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I didn't think they were proceeding with any posseion cases which only involved personal use quantities of hash....how much did you guy's have?

You'll end up with a criminal record for this and a small fine...

Have you explained to your mother why you were using this and that it's not a "Habit" she may be more understanding than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

TheBlock wrote:
    I didn't think they were proceeding with any posseion cases which only involved personal use quantities of hash....how much did you guy's have?

You'll end up with a criminal record for this and a small fine...

a fine and probably probation for a year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

bMitre wrote:
    what can I do to ease tension at home?

Just talk to your mam. A lot of tension is caused when kids don't talk to their parents and rather just snap or scream at them. Just tell her how worried you are about the court appearence and about the hash. Your Mam is probably worried and frustrated she doesn't know what's going on in your life. All she probably wants to do is help you. She is your mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

What happens now? legally? what kind of fines, punishments will I get? I have a respectable job and have NEVER been in trouble with the law before.
    What is the summons for specifically? Possession?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bMitre wrote:
    what can I do to ease tension at home?.

speaking as a mother, all she needs is for you to sit down with her, have a calm talk and go through everything. Be honest. It will make a huge difference for the both of you.
    Remember you are her child and she loves you. She wants you to be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Bmitre, I'd say no matter what your usage is that you should take some concrete steps towards getting treatment, something that you can show the court, no matter what the summons is for, if you do this I can fairly much guarantee nothing will happen to you.

I didn't say you need treatment, just courts see it pretty black and white and if you "acknowledge" the error of your ways ( remember the judge may see 150 people from the electric picnic, who didn't do it ) so this way you are doing the courts work and the boxes are all ticked.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

speaking as a mother, all she needs is for you to sit down with her, have a calm talk and go through everything. Be honest. It will make a huge difference for the both of you.
    Remember you are her child and she loves you. She wants you to be happy.

What Ruthie said ^^

You need to sit down, put your hands up, tell the truth and explain what is going to happen from now on. Reassure her - tell her this is something that happened in the past, it's not going to happy again and that you are trying to move on from it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

What happens now? legally? what kind of fines, punishments will I get? I have a respectable job and have NEVER been in trouble with the law before.

Ok here it is basicly, your going to be fined for possesion, since that it a first offence with no history or previous crimes, you should be let off wit a slap on the wrist, with a good job, respectable look about you etc, they'll see you made a mistake as we all do and thats that.

On the other hand this is dependant on how much you and your friends had and if it was enough for posseion with intent to supply to others you will be charged with posseion with intent, given a court date, fined there, given probation or community service and lastly will be given a criminal record which will stop you from being allowed to enter countries outside the E.U and you might have issues travel within the E.U also.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

@ the Block. less than half an ounce
    @ Repli. yes specifically posession.

@ Larianne, Beruthiel & Buffy. I know what your saying is right but i'm not the one who tends to loose it when we talk. Last night after an exchange of words she said to my Dad from the stairs to "beat some sense into me". She wasn't serious (and this has never happened) but she tends to become irrational like this very easily. Thats what i'm worried about. I'm not good in situations like this.

Thanks all btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

bMitre wrote:
    I have been summonsed to court. Last year at the electric picnic a garda stopped me and 2 friends and took a small ammount of hash off us. I asked what would happen and was told, probably a warning, now I've been summonsed!

I thought u had to be summonsed within 6 months of the offence? that's longer. That's my understanding of it anyway!

• Advertisement

Ok here it is basicly, your going to be fined for possesion, since that it a first offence with no history or previous crimes, you should be let off wit a slap on the wrist, with a good job, respectable look about you etc, they'll see you made a mistake as we all do and thats that.

On the other hand which is rare for small posseion charges but happens you will be charged with posseion, given a court date, fined there, given probation or community service and lastly will be given a criminal record which will stop you from being allowed to enter countries outside the E.U and you might have issues travel within the E.U also.

Well like I said i've been summoned. Does that not mean I have a court date? Honestly, I was surprised as I asked the garda who took the stuff what would happen and she said probably nothing and not to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

There's absolutely no chance of prison if it was a small amount and your first offense. A small fine maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

bMitre wrote:
    @ Larianne, Beruthiel & Buffy. I know what your saying is right but i'm not the one who tends to loose it when we talk. Last night after an exchange of words she said to my Dad from the stairs to "beat some sense into me". She wasn't serious (and this has never happened) but she tends to become irrational like this very easily. Thats what i'm worried about. I'm not good in situations like this.

Thanks all btw.

What you've just described is your Ma's coping mechanism. All you can do when she gets "irrational" is to stay calm and explain yourself simply and honestly. Tell her that while you understand she's frustrated and disappointed (chances are she's feels that at some point she went wrong somewhere while bringing you up), that comments like that don't help the situation and you already understand the consequences of your actions and would like her support.

It seems like you have a decent head on your shoulders, hope it goes ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It will state under what act/section you are being summonsed. Then look it up on irishstatutebook.ie and it will tell ya the maximum fine and penalty for the offence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Get in touch will a solictor. Remeber a few people saying the first visit is usually free. Or ask over on the legal forum.

As for easing the tension with your mam, sit down and have a joint together.

But seriously, why is there tension with your mam? Apart this incident what are the other problems?

Also, i'd have a serious word with her about opening your mail aswell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

for hash its simple possession

Section 3 Misuse of Drugs Act 1977/84

Speak to the Gard before the court date, inform him you are willing to make a large donation to charity.

He can tell the Judge this before he convicts you. Garda might wish to take no further action on condition the sum of money is paid. Case might get struck out.

On the other hand the judge might see you as a person who paid money for drugs, put money into drugs dealers pockets, facillitated the import of drugs/guns, and hold you responsible for the current gun culture that exists in the country with high speed car chases on the m50 with people opening up with automatic weapons.

Either way

g'luck and dont forget to dress nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Lads, he was caught with a bit of hash. Everyone's acting like he shot 5 - 6 people ;)

Thanks for the info TouchingVirus

Just wondering Chief? Is that legal, to approach the Garda like? I'd be willing to do whatever is nesiscary to avoid a criminal record. I had hoped to work in the US in the future but it will be hard enough getting a good job here with a criminal record.

Well I talked to my mam and after a few tearful shouting sessions and conversations, I think things are hopefully starting to go somewhat towards the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

You have been summonsed, have a serious think about what I advised, it will save you a lot of grief in the future. It happened a mate of mine, with less than a ten spot, for that he got to piss in a bottle every month until his system was clear for 12 consecutive months (it almost turned him in to an alcoholic because of all he ended up drinking, and they warned him about blood alcohol levels too in the end) , it is the way they deal with small amounts these days to avoid a criminal record, so if you start this process yourself you probably wont have to pee in a bottle for a year.....do what you want.

<edit> if you had been due a slap on the wrist you would not have been summonsed, the cop would have done it, now it is in the realm of the court and you should play their game.

Advertisement