Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #8: "Show Your Bones" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Options
  • 28-03-2006 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got it? What do they think? (yes a lazy opening post by me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I like it.

But they have toned down their songs and sound to give a more evenly matched album of songs. I think i'll find myself listening to this album end to end, unlike the debut where i would listen to clumps of songs, rather than the whole album from start to finish. So sonically, its not as diverse as the debut, and lacks their debuts raw/natural sound (which i liked). The guitar work and drumming also initially seems disapointing compared to the debut, but it grows on you quickly.

So my opinion is that the band sound more restrained than their debut. But not enough for them to be boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I'm a big fan of side 2 of their first album - I was kind of put off their second one by the experience of seeing a 45-year-old advertising executive type in a polo neck sitting in his BMW estate reading the sunday papers blaring out "Show Your Bones" while reading the sunday papers and waiting for the kids. Call me shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

magpie wrote:
    I'm a big fan of side 2 of their first album - I was kind of put off their second one by the experience of seeing a 45-year-old advertising executive type in a polo neck sitting in his BMW estate reading the sunday papers blaring out "Show Your Bones" while reading the sunday papers and waiting for the kids. Call me shallow.

Bit slow with the elitism there, seeing as the debut sold over 750,000 copies...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I'm a huge YYYs fan, so I guess that I was always going to love their new album, but even still I'm really impressed. I feel that their music has really matured but at the same time they have managed to retain their characteristic sound. The stand-outs on the album (IMO) are "Cheated Hearts", "Deja Vu", "Mysteries" and, in particular, "Warrior", where the development of Karen's voice is most evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I agree with the last poster. This is a very well made album, that has some great songs on it. When I first listened to it, I really liked it and I had to wait for the first one to grow on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

Is this the band where one of their singles starts with girls chanting, really hypnotising?

HDX wrote:
    Is this the band where one of their singles starts with girls chanting, really hypnotising?

I don't think so... Can you be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Agree with odhran that they have matured- saying that I didnt like the album on first listen but some of the songs have grown on me. Would still listen to the first album more.....just something about Karen O schreeching and screaming! Actually heard Miles Away recently which is from their first EP and like that better than any of the songs on Show Your Bones. Still a good album though and well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Liked the first album alot, not a fan of the toned down style the new one has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liked the first album alot, not a fan of the toned down style the new one has.
    I'm guessing you're getting the whole "Jimmy Eat World are ****" thing a whole lot less now that they're not so popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

It took a while for it to grow on me, love it now though. "Turn Into You" is one of the songs of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Not a fan of it to be honest, I dont really like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Its crap and boring. Nothing compared to Fever To Tell. Gold Lion is horrendous!

The album has managed to grow on me even more, if that's possible! I really like every song on the album now, and "Turn Into", in particular, has really blown me away- such an excellent summer song. It still doesn't compare to Fever To Tell as far as I'm concerned though. Also, I agree with the poster who mentioned "Miles Away", which is probably my favourite YYYs song after "Y-Control". It's worth buying their first EP for that track alone, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

HDX wrote:

It was the flaming lips, yeah yeah yeah was the name of the song, easy mistake

EASY EASY EASY EASY!

Aah, common mistake!

Advertisement