Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All time horror movie

Options
  • 27-03-2006 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Ok, the movies that give me the creeps are 'the exocist' and 'Alien'. no other movies can scare me. there are some slasher movies like texas chainsaw... and the recent 'wolf creek' that gave me a few jumps, but just dont scare me. i do like 'the shinning', 'dawn of the dead', 'the omen' and a few others, but mostly because they're good films.

so whats the creepiest/scariest horror movie of all time?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Good question. I think we have had this before but its no harm bringing it up again since we have had a few newer films come out.

I`ll go with hmmmm let me think there are so many but recent ones that come to mind are wolf creak and Final destenation 3. The old classisc too like the exorcist and its remakes. Also Remoeos older stuff, wasent that imprest with his newest one. There are so many its hard for any one to say for sure, we can only try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Archeron

I think Hellraiser III would get my vote for the doctor, and also for Pinhead himself. I've never seen a character exude pure evil the way he does, and his one liners rock.

Random dude to be slaughtered "Jesus Christ!!"
    Pinhead "not quite"

Classic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Archeron wrote:
    I think Hellraiser III would get my vote for the doctor, and also for Pinhead himself. I've never seen a character exude pure evil the way he does, and his one liners rock.

Random dude to be slaughtered "Jesus Christ!!"
    Pinhead "not quite"

Classic!!

I think you mean Hellraiser II.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I watched Hosetl last night I think thats my fav of those type films ( saw/wolf creaksih type ). Im sure KH can tell me what catorgery it falls into i`ll just call it a gore fest. Class all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I watched Hosetl last night I think thats my fav of those type films ( saw/wolf creaksih type ). Im sure KH can tell me what catorgery it falls into i`ll just call it a gore fest. Class all the same.

Yeah i saw Hostel aswell it was amazingly grotesque.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its unfortunate that most of the films fitting into the horror genre nowadays are slasher/gore flicks - Saw and Hostel for example - gruesome films no doubt, but not exactly what I'd call scary and bone chilling.

I do in particular find the spider walk scene in the exorcist pretty creepy, and the scene in the exorcism of Emily Rose where she's lying motionless and disjointed on the floor, or when she's eating spiders and scratching the walls....very creepy.

Few honorable mentions to The Thing, The Grudge, Amityville Horror 2005, and a few others that gave me a few shivers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

For the old fashioned horror its gotta be The Relic.
    For creepy spine-tingling films its The Omen and The Exorcist.....The Omen still has it even after all these years and numerous viewings. Can't believe they are remaking this though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

While I do enjoy the gruesome types like Saw and Hostel, my favourite horrors are pyschological ones that keep you thinking for ages afterwards.
    I'm becoming more and more fond of Asian horrors now, I think they always produce an atmosphere that you just don't find in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

I concur that Asian horrors convey a superior atmosphere. Generally I find the Japanese productions the best of the bunch; Korean, Thai and HK productions seem to be playing catch-up (with the exception of The Eye which I thought was superb, at least for the first 2/3).

Asian horror films make very effective use of silence and long pauses to pace the action; I was thinking this might be a cultural thing but then realised how this was a feature of two of my all-time horror favourites: Alien and The Shining. Long scene-setting, slow and deliberate filming where the set and scenery provide the dialogue and build the mood. I'm hoping Hollywood's fascination with the Asian genre might encourage thoughtful direction once more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

The Exorcist is brilliant and probably the only really scary film. Nothing else has come close really. The Shining is really cool but not that scary although Jack Nicholson is of course creepy. Some of the bits in The Sixth Sense are really creepy beacuse they're unexpected, like when the boy sees the ghost of a little boy and then he turns around and his head is blown off - v chilling.
    I love horrors (not slasher ones but scary ghost ones) and have always thought I could make a really genuinely scary, heart-attack inducing scarefest. Has anyone else felt like this? They just dont make that scary films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

there's a film called the innocents made in 1961, b/w and with a few genuine hair on the back of the neck **** yourelf scary moments. based on the turn of the screw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tullamac

Guys....I am afraid its all Asian at the minute...Audition is without a doubt a complete and utter MINDF**K

Advertisement