Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber frame or traditional ???

Options
  • 26-03-2006 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

I am considering building a house and just have a simple question.
    Is it cheaper to build a timber frame house?
    To build a standard 3 bedhouse house on my land im looking at 125,000 / 150,000 euro.
    how would the price compare if i built a timber framed 3 bed house on the same land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is no difference.

It is all down to the particular design and timeframe that you want as to what will owrk out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

clown bag wrote:
    I am considering building a house and just have a simple question.
    Is it cheaper to build a timber frame house?
    To build a standard 3 bedhouse house on my land im looking at 125,000 / 150,000 euro.
    how would the price compare if i built a timber framed 3 bed house on the same land?

Standard timber frame 3bed circa 100sqm will generally work out about 10k cheaper than the concrete option. However go with concrete the quality and durability are so superior it is not even worth considering for such a relatively small saving.

Standard timber frame 3bed circa 100sqm will generally work out about 10k cheaper than the concrete option. However go with concrete the quality and durability are so superior it is not even worth considering for such a relatively small saving.

Shhhh, Duncan Stewart Stewart Duncan willl go mad!!

Would go for block built myself. Though I know the timber farmes have improved a lot, always wonder what they'll be like for wear and tear in say 20 years. Plus I think that block built should hold it's value better.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Would go for block built myself. Though I know the timber farmes have improved a lot, always wonder what they'll be like for wear and tear in say 20 years. Plus I think that block built should hold it's value better.

I always thought the same but as i go on i'm thinking more and more of timber framing. I saw a tf house I slabbed about 8 years ago and its still perfect. So if its for myself I think i'd now go timber-framed but for selling on I reckon block still edges it Myself and a friend have a bid in for a site at the moment and it's a block house is going to be built (To be sold once it finished) but one of the reason's is cause the friends brother is a block-layer

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    Myself and a friend have a bid in for a site at the moment and it's a block house is going to be built (To be sold once it finished) but one of the reason's is cause the friends brother is a block-layer

Hope you'll be friends afterwards. Those projects have a habit of going wrong, one side says they're putting in all the money, the other says they're doing all the work, a bid is accepted by one and not the other etc. etc. Just make sure you have a co-ownership agreement and good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Hope you'll be friends afterwards. Those projects have a habit of going wrong, one side says they're putting in all the money, the other says they're doing all the work, a bid is accepted by one and not the other etc. etc. Just make sure you have a co-ownership agreement and good luck with it.

We've all that set you before we did anything The money's being split directly As for the work we'll be finding out We've done work together before and that went fine so hopefully

Advertisement