Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio FE11H - advice

Options
  • 26-03-2006 12:19pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Sony_Vaio_FE_Core_Duo_Laptops/prod.asp

Hey, I've been musing over what sort of laptop to get for a while, and thought I had settled on getting a Macbook Pro... but forking out three grand (wanted to get it nicely spec'd) on it may be a little excessive.

Was perusing the forum and found that laptopsdirect site, seems to be positive feedback for the most part, so I'm happy enough with that, but I want to know what people's experiences are with Vaios. I've heard they can (or used to be) a little finnicky and prone to break.
    Has this changed in recent years?

I'm a working student, I don't play games (but I guess I'd like the option), I'd be using this mostly for web browsing, watching movies (using a projector connected to it), some programming... and I'll need to bring it around with me cos I'm pretty far flung from college :)
    I love my music, and want this to essentially be a media centre that can be expanded out (the preinstalled Media Centre edition of XP is promising).
    Also, I want to install Ubuntu on this, and have something that'll make good use of XGL when it gets implemented properly.

Now, this is the closest spec I can find on Sony's site (shame laptopsdirect is a little lacking in the technical info department), and the only difference I see (I hope) is the slightly upped processor speed.

Edit: upon further inspection, it seems that the graphics card on the model on the sony site is significantly lower spec than listed on laptopsdirect.

I'm looking at this laptop because I want something that's going to last me a while, the idea of dual core attracted me, as well as the varyious media possibilities... is this a good choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the new Fe series laptops are really nice and slim and have that lovely sony screen, the full spec is available on sony.ie Linky and the screen is just a nice size to make it portable am tempted to buy the FE11S myself, have had a lot of experience with vaio over the last 5 years through work and never a hardware fault only dum user problems

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

the new Fe series laptops are really nice and slim and have that lovely sony screen, the full spec is available on sony.ie Linky and the screen is just a nice size to make it portable am tempted to buy the FE11S myself, have had a lot of experience with vaio over the last 5 years through work and never a hardware fault only dum user problems
    You're a godsend, thanks for the link :)

Good to hear vaios only suffer from dumb user syndrome, hopefully will be able to avoid affliction ;)

Any reason you're choosing the S model over the H? Is the extra 200MHz and 60GB just too tempting?

the HDD, the processor, the builtin bluetooth and the built in web cam and mic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have the sony FE11H it's a really nice laptop only problem I found was it comes installed with loads of crappy software and toolbars which I unistalled straight away. The battery life on this laptop is really good and can actually reach the 3.7 hours when wi-fi is off. I'm not sure If i should have upgraded to the next model or not but I'm pretty happy with what I've got now. Games seem to work fairly well on it planning to try UT 2004 soon to see how that works.
    One of the only problems I have with the laptop was I kept getting the blue screen and death but I think that was a driver issuse since they've now issued an update on the sony-link site for that. Also I found media center program to be fairly buggy at the start after you apply updates, it constantly crashed and wouldn't open I fixed the problem by installed .net framework 1.1 again. I would definitly recommend this laptop and the screen on it is top quality.

On the subject of laptops direct I had huge issues with them see here basically lying to get me to buy a laptop from them but I wouldn't expect anyone else to have problems they're fairly cheap too compared to dabs.

Thanks for the reply center15; where did you get yours, out of interest? Was it laptopsdirect?

Thumper Long; do a bit of research into that built in webcam, if it runs off the USB internally it can seriously affect battery performance.

• Advertisement

I got mine off laptopsdirect.co.uk before the Irish site was out, a friend got the same laptop off the irish site and it was €50 more expensive

the camera is only a small bonus maybe handy for talking to mates abroad via skype but i wouldn't base my ultimate decision upon it

Howdy, another question, this time on warranty & repairs.

If I buy this from laptopsdirect, is there a dowdside with regards to repairs extended warranty, etc?

I see the FE11H in the Sony Centre in Stephens Green for €1699 (a few hundred more expensive than laptopsdirect), and I'm wondering if it's actually more worthwhile in the long run to pay the extra couple of hundred?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Do any of the Sonys take Dual batteries. My Vaio HP896 does but none of the new models seem to mention it. I was hoping to replace mine with better battery life.

Updating this with my research in case there are others (besides yourself and myself TS) considering the FE series.

PC Pro Review of the FE11S

Here is one of several reports of the letters on keypads fading after several weeks on the FS series... I don't know if this has any bearing on the FE series, but it's something I'll be looking into.
    center15, have you noticed anything like this?

I've also read "bad vibes" about the manufacturer of the DVD-RW drive, something else to look into.

The extended warranty seems to be a given amongst the more experienced Vaio users on Club-Vaio, and I was looking for something along these lines as I mentioned in my last post, so that puts my mind at ease.
    Having worked in both corporate and residential sectors of the telecoms industry, I can vouch for the value of a service level agreement :)

I am definately going to be buying this from laptopsdirect; having noticed the predelivery inspection to avoid the irritation of one or two dead pixels, or some other fault, pretty much sealed the deal.

After totting up the extended warranty and pre-deliv inspection, the price comes to just over €1700... same as the the laptop on it's own would cost from the Sony Centre.

TempestSabre: I discovered this in my browsing. Is this what you are looking for?

• Advertisement

Thats an external battery isn't it. That would do I guess. Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop without a warranty its too big a risk if something goes wrong. I extended the one on my existing Vaio.

Apparently that particular battery juts out a bit at the back.

CuLT wrote:
    Apparently that particular battery juts out a bit at the back.

How do you know?

How do you know?
    Thought I read it one the sony-style site; guess I read it elsewhere.

Here is one of several reports of the letters on keypads fading after several weeks on the FS series... I don't know if this has any bearing on the FE series, but it's something I'll be looking into.
    center15, have you noticed anything like this?

No probs with my keyboard anyway and on the battery issue I think those extended battery's have a extra row of battery cells so they do come out a bit on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I posted a thread similar to this on another forum that I vist a lot. I usually use this place for hard core techie talk because the general standard of knowledge seems to be very high.

Anyway these boys (and girls?) strongly advised me to stay away from Sony. Which now thinking back on the experiences I've had with Sony devices in the computer and audio world it makes sense that the laptops look pretty but aint that good.

Anyway my other thread is here to have a look http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/579009962631/m/545003348731

Hmm, I am seeing problems around the place alright.

But, for example, a similarily spec'd Dell machine is hitting upwards of 3000 euro, nearly 3500.

Essentially I don't necessarily want a Vaio, what I do want is:

14-15 inch screen
    Core Duo processor
    Graphics enough to make XGL look good, play BF2.
    1GB RAM
    80GB HDD
    DVD-RW Drive

After that, your usual modern laptop stuff, wireless, etc.

It seems incredibly difficult to find this combination in a laptop (the core duo being the main problem), the Vaio seemingly the only one that delivers at a good price.

Next on my list would be this Acer Aspire, but I know feck-all about video cards these days and I don't know what an X1400 is (very difficult to get anything about what games Mobility cards will play), plus I understand ATi are weak when it comes to Linux.

Edit: Spent a long time looking for details on the X1400, found some useful info on notebook video cards here.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

got the FE11H yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. Great spec and the screen is excellent.

LFCFan wrote:
    got the FE11H yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. Great spec and the screen is excellent.
    Excellent stuff; where'd you buy it?

Also, have you had a chance to test any games or burn DVD-Rs?

I'm fairly confident about the rest of the Vaio features, and gaming isn't really all that important seeing as I haven't played a game for months (still want good graphics for the XGL though).

ChRoMe wrote:
    ....Anyway these boys (and girls?) strongly advised me to stay away from Sony. Which now thinking back on the experiences I've had with Sony devices in the computer and audio world it makes sense that the laptops look pretty but aint that good....

I prefer to trust my own experience. That is Sony stuff is no worse than anyone elses, and usually better. No matter what you buy on the web you'll find people complaining about it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

A doctor in the hospital where i work bought one and sent in over to us in the IT dept to add it to the domain and to put on the hospital software and so on . But we could'nt put it on due to to the windows media center , so we updated it to xp pro and that when everything when ar5eways we couldn't track down half the drivers even from sony ireland or from the sony style site ,and hardly any of the original drivers work on it .
    But apart from that i got a quick look and messed around with it for a while and if you plan on keeping the media center ed , you will do alright with it , it is the dogs on looks and specs i'd go ahead with it ,but watch out if you ever plan on running xp or xp pro on it ...enjoy it if you do get it because if it had the 7800 gtx i would jump on trading in my DELL XPS M170 for one of them "thats how nice it is" best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I prefer to trust my own experience. That is Sony stuff is no worse than anyone elses, and usually better. No matter what you buy on the web you'll find people complaining about it somewhere.

If you dont trust anyone elses experinces what are you doing on a internet forum. The whole idea of the internet is to share views,ideas and experiences to help everyone be more informed. I have seen plenty of negative things about the Sony from other people also employeed through IT.

and sure any company that produced sonic stage software and managed to b0rk their own wireless drivers have questionable Q&A practices

I'd didn't say i didn't trust anyone else's experience. I said I PREFER my own. ;)

I've yet to find a perfect IT product. Almost all have some flaw or other. Such is life. For me the superior quality of the Sony's keypad/screen outweight other disadvantages. Others might be looking for other qualities. SonicStage/ATRAC hasn't been cracked in the many years its been around. Thats some encryption eh? Admitedly the pre v3.0 version were very buggy, and theres no excuse for that. But v3.0 have been very solid. 3.4 is the best version yet. I've never had a problem with 3.0-3.4 on my HiMD. :)

CuLT wrote:
    Excellent stuff; where'd you buy it?

Also, have you had a chance to test any games or burn DVD-Rs?

I'm fairly confident about the rest of the Vaio features, and gaming isn't really all that important seeing as I haven't played a game for months (still want good graphics for the XGL though).

Haven't played any games on it as I have my 360 for that :)

Did burn some DVD's and so far so good.

I was thinking there was something wrong with the fitting of the battery as it seemed loose but then I realised there's a locking mechanism for the battery and that solved the problem :)

Anyway, from my experience with it so far, I'd deffo recommend.

LFCFan wrote:
    Haven't played any games on it as I have my 360 for that :)

Did burn some DVD's and so far so good.

I was thinking there was something wrong with the fitting of the battery as it seemed loose but then I realised there's a locking mechanism for the battery and that solved the problem :)

Anyway, from my experience with it so far, I'd deffo recommend.
    Cheers for the reply, looks like I'll be ordering it next week so, despite a slight distraction from one of the SZ series ;)

Spec on this has since become FE21H :?

Anyhoo, the FE21S is mine on Monday, unless of course, LFCFan has had any explosions in the recent past...

CuLT wrote:
    Spec on this has since become FE21H :?

Anyhoo, the FE21S is mine on Monday, unless of course, LFCFan has had any explosions in the recent past...

:) Still in one piece. Very happy with my purchase!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i have the sony vgn-fe11m

Good spec, terribel price. good performance.

Usual **** sony build quiality. Screen is pathetic now though. has dark spots and a few dead pixels. it Also heatsup way to much

anti wrote:
    i have the sony vgn-fe11m

Good spec, terribel price. good performance.

Usual **** sony build quiality. Screen is pathetic now though. has dark spots and a few dead pixels. it Also heatsup way to much

My Sony Laptop is 3 years old, no dark spots and no dead pixels.

• Advertisement

This thing is awesome :cool:

Advertisement