Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can a get a good 1 piece breathable rain suit

Options
  • 25-03-2006 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Where can a get a good 1 piece breathable rain suit, it would preferable have boots attached that you could fit over your own shoes. I have seen sailing dry suits but they are a bit stiff and expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You want to cycle in the suit??

Try Patagonia. They'll have breathable rain gear (GoreTex), though I'm not sure about 1 piece suits (would probably be uncool for them). They have a shop on Wicklow Street, Dublin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

goretex dungarees ?

don't know if they exist. why do they have to be one piece anyway?

what's wrong with two-piece solutions - there will be more likely to be mass-produced and thus more popular/cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Aldi have some on offer at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Thanks guys. I saw the aldi ones, they are only €20 and do not mention being breathable so I presume at that price they are not. I want one piece since I always seem to get soaked in the middle, in heavy rain it always finds a way in, think it is since you are bent over so the back becomes exposed. I was looking for dungarees but havent found any in shops here.

I have found a few places selling 1 piece suits online. There was army surplus stuff on ebay too, some horrible looking but I dont really care about the looks.

I am awaiting a quote on shipping for this.

http://www.chilhowee.net/motorcycle-rain-suits/RSOP003.html

all the searches seem to hit motorbike stores.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=%2B%221+piece%22+%2Bbreathable+%2Brain&meta=

EDIT: more reading on forums tells me goretex is not taht good. most recommed stuff called flexothane.
    here is a suit at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/23/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

None of that looks in any way cycleable in.

• Advertisement

We will see.
    I ordered the one halfway down the page here. with the guy hosing himself down. Have those dungarees too
    http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/22/index.htm

The 1 piece works out about €72 including delivery & VAT. Not to bad for breathable stuff

The other high vis one did look a bit more stiff and I think had liners

Well I got the suit today and it looks great quality. Quite flexible stuff, very stretchy and doesnt make much noise when moving about. Has buttons to snap on the arms and legs and has arm cuffs (no leg cuffs). The zip is decent and has this double folded bit over it, and then a flap with buttons across that so it should be good at keeping rain out there, which was a problem with other jackets I had. All seams are stitched AND heat sealed.

It is fully branded as flexothane with little spec sheets quoting various BS standards it conforms to for water resistance and breathability, and various chemicals it is resistant to. It is made by a belgian company sioen and has CE marking.

All a reasonable good sign of quality rather than getting an unbranded one with only "made in china" written on it.

I will let you know how it holds up to the rain and sweat once I get a good go in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

sounds interesting.
    Like to hear how it holds up for the commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Sounds good, I guess made in China explains the price. Keep us updated on it!

No, I was saying it is not some unbranded made in china rain gear. it is from a belgian company.

http://www.sioen.com/itemtemplates/index.asp?id_item=1

I have only had a short 10min run in the rain. No rain got in, no sweat. But too short a run to be sure of breathability. Nice an flexible so no problems there. The only downside I see at the moment is the length of the legs. My suit was a large. I am 5'10" but I have relatively short legs. I take jeans with an inside leg of 30". The crotch is pretty low in the suit, so when you sit on the saddle the legs rise up. I would have preferred about 1-2" longer leg but it is still OK for me. People with longer legs may be more exposed though.
    Doesnt bother me too much since if I am wearing the suit I will be wearing boots too.

The length from the bottom to the join in the crotch is about 1-2" longer than the same distance on my 30" jeans. Havent measured the actual distance though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement