Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis causes Epilepsy?

Options
  • 24-03-2006 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello im 18 and I was recently diagnosed with Epilepsy after having a second nocturnal seizure in a year. Im on medication now. I have to change my lifestyle alot to cope with this disorder. Whats been playing on my mind lately is how I developed this disorder. From around the age of 15 onwards I started smoking cannabis casually with friends and for a period of about 3 months I was a heavy smoker. Although I was thinking about giving it up before my first seizure, after I had the first one I never smoked it again as I was thought to believe it was a "once off" seizue caused only by the cannabis unaware I had epilepsy. There is a vague history of Epilepsy in the family with the only relative having it being my grandmothers sister. I know it can be brought on by a number of other factors, for example I drank alcohol alot too, I just want to know if cannabis abuse can be largely responscible for DEVELOPING epilepsy. I have seen one site on the net which doesnt go into much detail on the matter. Most sites are talking about how great it is to help the disorder! Im not bothered with that! I know ill never fefinantly discover the exact cause but im just curious. Any information would be really helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's no research that indicates a causal link between the two, no. None that I've encountered anyway! I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm or rubbish that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

my ex( who im still great friends with) has been smoking it since he was 11(im not kidding) hes 19 now and hes doesnt have Epilepsy- he smokes it every day and hes addicted to it- if he does not smoke it he goes MAD and is in a temper until he gets some.

And my friends dad is 48 and he was JUST told he has Epilepsy- and he never TOUCHED cannabis in his life

And my dad is 64 and he smoked cannabis for 20 years(from 16-36) and hes perfectly healtly

Maybe it affects people in different ways

Anyway im sorry honey ive heard its a horrible thing to have

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Might be worth asking over on the Biology/Medicine forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=392

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

There hasn't been any proper research into it yet. But from what little has been done it has been noticed that there is higher occurance of epilepsy with people who regularly use cannabis than with people who don't use it regularly. It isn't known yet whether there is a link between cannabis and epilepsy or whether it is being used as an attempt to self medicate so in other words it isn't known if they developed epilepsy because of cannabis use or if they use cannabis because they have epilepsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i think you have to be prone to epilepsy. smoking cannabis wont magically 'infect' you with epilepsy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

thanks for the help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Younger brother of a mate of mine in the same boat as you Ibanez, no-one's sure of the exact cause in his case but it seems cannabis is the key to it. He was in and out of hospital for tests before he admitted to his folks he smokes, his seizures has stopped since he's been off it (afaik). Must just trigger something in some people I guess. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Ironically, it has long been thought that cannabis can be used to treat epilepsy!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988406213.html?from=storyrhs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

no way os this OP statement true. we need proper studies to prove this 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Whatever about the OP's drdre, mine is true, guy had to give up work because the firm's insurance wouldn't cover him (at the time no one knew what was causing the fits). Believe what you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,270 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Epilipsy is a kind of disorder that is very sensitive to changes in brain chemistry. Anything can affect it from alcohol to psychotrophic drugs to prescription medicines. It's not caused by Cannabis, but smoking can trigger seizures. Epilepsy is a condition that requires caution and responsibility on an ongoing basis, similar to diabetes, You need to monitor your condition and rest when you feel tired and refrain from drinking too much or taking too many drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

I have had epilepsy for 20 years now, I am 34. Cannabis doesn't cause it. Bangs to the head can. And you don't have to change your life either. I didn't. Just keep taking the medication. I have 2 kids and a very full life. I can exercise, drink, smoke, drive, basically do anything I want. I have never been told to change or not do anything.

The only thing I will tell you is that when I was pregnant the doctors were worried that the child would go into withdrawl from taking the medication in
    my system. But she didn't and everything is fine for everyone.

And the fact that yours is nocturnal is even better. At least you are asleep when you take them. So it won't affect your driving.

Epilepsy is a disease but it can be well controlled with drugs. And its not as bad as people make out. I SHOULD KNOW !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

And the fact that yours is nocturnal is even better. At least you are asleep when you take them. So it won't affect your driving.

Unfortunately, you still won't be allowed drive for a year after your last seizure, whether its nocturnal or not.

I'm exactly the same, had two nocturnal seizures within six months of each other and have been on medication for the past four years. It doesn't impact on my life at all now, I'm just careful to watch what I drink and try to make sure to get enough rest etc. I'll probably be on medication for the rest of my life, but luckily epilepsy is covered under the Long Term Illness Scheme, and doesn't cost me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I just want to know if cannabis abuse can be largely responscible for DEVELOPING epilepsy

I've read a lot about the linkage between cannabis smoking and schizophrenia. But not cannabis and epilepsy.

Advertisement