Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck Palahniuk - Genius or Sensalionist

Options
  • 24-03-2006 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I read most of Palahniuks back catalog in the last couple of weeks, and i genuinly dont know what to make of the guy. I adome the cyism and Nillism and how all his charecters self destructive. But he seem limited to one style of the writting the first person with the big twist at the end. Some of it seems to lso veer into the days of our life's mold [ Invisible monsters, Suvior]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Fight Club made a great movie but I find his books very boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

ccd wrote:
    Nillism

It's spelled "nihilism"... yeah Palahnuik made one good book which was Fight Club, all the others were only average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

It's spelled "nihilism"... yeah Palahnuik made one good book which was Fight Club, all the others were only average.

Choke has it's moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I think personally he is a very good author, Survivor is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

I've only read two of his novels, but I have to say that I thought Survivor was excellent. Choke had nothing on it. I have also read his collection of essays, Non-Fiction, which had some excellent articles, but overall was very hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've read Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby and Non-Fiction and I must say I really liked them all. I agree that a lot of his characters tend to be either strongly subversive or self destructive, frequently both, but his style of writing, plots and twists bring variation so he gets away with it. I really love his writing style, especially Non-Fiction as it was, well, Non-fiction.

The ending of Choke was very odd and I still don't know ifI liked it or not, but I did like the book overall.

Thumbs up for Palahniuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I loved Lullaby* and Invisible Monsters but liked Survivor and Choke less. Non-Fiction was very hit and miss. People have said that some of his books are very similar but I think the characters are genuinely compelling.

*I haven't laughed so much reading anything that wasn't written by Pratchett. The black humour was spot on.

Advertisement