Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Skype

Options
  • 23-03-2006 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am seeing a strange problem with the latest version of Skype (2.0.0.90) and would welcome any suggestions;

The setup

1mb/512k DSL
    Pentium IV 2.6 Ghz
    1Gb Memory
    XP Home with SP2
    Patched Tcp/ip to allow 50 Connections
    Headset with builtin mic

The Problem

Try to connect to Skype self test and initial few seconds are ok, but then the voice breaks up really badly.
    Using the technical info option in Skype the CPU useage is over 90% and the Round trip times are through the roof 400ms and up
    Have tried this with all firewalls down to avoid any ports issues and results are the same.
    Have removed and reinstalled the skype software and it also made no difference
    Have tried Messanger and while the sound quality is not great it does work.

Scouring the Skype boards and other websites has turned up nothing that has helped so any ideas would be very welcome,

Thanks

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

By Skype Test I assume you mean calling echo123?

I have the same version of Skype and noticed poor sound quality on transmitted sounds when listened back to via echo123 one evening. I put it down to a problem on my upstream DSL link (eg congestion somewhere). The received sound quality remained good.

I have tested the uplink sound several times since and haven't had the same problem again. Who is your DSL service provider? Do you have an Ethernet DSL modem, and if so do you have several machines connected to it using different network speeds?

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

The DSL provider is Wanadoo, the modem is a USB modem, and there are no other machines connecting to the BB.

The curious thing is that a relation has roughly the same setup in terms of computer spec, the same BB provider and she has no problems whatsoever.

I have the feeling that it is some system resource that is being overwhelmed and this is causing the CPU to spin, but I can't figure out what it would be.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Mr_Man wrote:
    I have the feeling that it is some system resource that is being overwhelmed and this is causing the CPU to spin, but I can't figure out what it would be.
    I have just run Skype v2.0.0.90 on my XP2 SP2 patched up to date machine and it is only using a few % of processor resources at most.

What other software are you running - eg stuff that loads automatically on start-up? Have you tried booting XP from a CD?

Check the list of processes running and do a google search on the filename of any process that you don't know to be standard Windows XP o/s.

Has someone secretly installed a root-kit on your machine? Snooping root kits can hide themselves from XP’s list of processes running. Go to http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#32 and listen to episode 12 of this podcast for more info and a download link for software to help root out root kits.

Failing all the above, you may wish to consider re-installing XP and all your applications! At least your PC should run faster generally speaking after a clean install.

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I'll check out the processes, and the root kit possibility. One thing I came across to-day in an obscure part of the Skype website is that XP's voice recognition software can cause this high CPU useage.

Thanks

M.

Advertisement