Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-specific urethris

Options
  • 22-03-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a quick question. I know this isnt a medical board but i believe many of ye would have the answer. if i cant get the simple answer here then ill just ring the clinic...
    So i went for a test a good few weeks ago and turns out i had a non specific urethris... Now can someone tell me what exactly is it? she wasnt very good at explaining. Some web sites says its Chlamydia others say its not chlamydia.... Anyone got the answer?
    But my main question is how effective is the treatment.. She gave me 4 tables to take on the spot and that was it.That was the treatment finished. Can i be confident then in thinking the infection is gone?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression "non specific" means they have a good idea what range of infections it is, but not which particular one.

Talk to whoever you spoke to previously and ask do you need to be re-treated. How are your symptoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

What is Urethritis?

This condition is caused by a bacteria which can be picked up from the rectum or mouth of a partner. Some experience a discharge accompanied by painful urination, and gonorrhea may be the first diagnosis. NSU does not respond to penicillin and therefore anyone who suspects that they may have it should be tested immediately.

What are the symptoms of nonspecific urethritis?

The incubation period varies considerably but it is believed to be from one week to one month. The symptoms are usually identical to gonorrrhea however the discharge is usually thinner. Please refer to our section on gonorrhea for a more detailed account of the symptoms.

If nonspecific urethritis is left untreated, it can cause complications. It can spread to the bladder which will cause pain during urinating and perhaps some bleeding. It may also spread to the testicles which will result in swelling and tenderness. If NSU spreads to the prostate there will be pain in the groin.

How is nonspecific urethritis contracted?

Nonspecific urethritis has a variety of causes because it can not be identified as one disease; it is recognized to be several. There may be perfectly normal micro organisms in a partner's rectum which will affect the other partner adversely. NSU is not always sexually transmitted and can also appear in a strictly monogamous relationship. Using a latex condom or dental dam for oral-anal contact will significantly reduce the risk of NSU.

How is nonspecific urethris treated?

Nonspecific urethritis is occasionally mistaken for gonorrhea and treated with penicillin. Penicillin is not an effective treatment for NSU. It must be treated with tetracycline or alternative antibiotics if allergies are a concern. Please contact your physician for more information regarding treatment.

Source :: http://www.sexhealth.org/std/urethritis.shtml

Also

Inflammation of your urethra (where you pee out of)—people get pain with urination. Usually caused by a urinary tract infection but nonspecific means a cause has not been identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

most clinics will have given you a return appointment where they will do a "test for cure test" which is basicly a follow up test to make sure the treatment has worked.

The whole non-specfic bit is about the fact that a number of infections can cause NSU and it has no impact on threatment so there is no need to do more tests to find out which exact bug it is as the treatment will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

well i didnt have any symptoms in the beginning, I just went to be safe.
    And now im just wondering can i be sure its gone or?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And now im just wondering can i be sure its gone or?
    "Go to doctor".

• Advertisement
Advertisement