Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv in canada

Options
  • 22-03-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

hey, me and my mates are headin to toronto for the summer, quick questions for ne1 thats been there...

do tvs support PAL i.e. european ps2's/xbox's?

also...

are any channels available on terrestrial ariels or all on cable n such?

thanx for any help, and b4 ppl start givin out about the fact that im askin about tv, we're not that concerned wit watchin ne tv at all, was just a general curiousity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

i wouldn't imagine they work over here but don't quote me on it, mabye check out the websites for ps2/xbox?!

also, you could probably get stations via ariel but very few if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Frank OJ

the newer ps2 (as in the small ones) work when you have an adapter. the larger and older ps2's dont work at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Nope - mine didn't work when I brought it over.
    Don't mind about the ariel though - most places you rent include utilities and basic cable in the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

When your in Toronto, there's a great little pub at the end of Young Street,
    Head down to the GoTrain station, and turn onto young street, then walk to the very end of the street and it's on your right

By Go Train, you mean Union Station? Yes?

You might be referring to the "Irish Embassy", corner of Yonge and Wellington. If so, yes, it is a great pub, classy. Spent Paddy's Day there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

yeah cool il defo check that out. how about my phone, i hav a tri band phone, will i just bring it over and buy a sim card? r they cheap?

hmmm, i know when i travel to cork i don't need a sim card w/ a tri band phone. but i'm not sure how expensive your roaming charges would be?! as it's ireland i'd say expensive cos everything is expensive there :)

in any case not sure how much sims are but shouldn't be too expensive, specially not when you're converting the euro.

check out www.rogers.ca they might have some info for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Too weird - I was in the Irish Embassy on Paddys day. Usually prefer PJ's around the corner though.

Good taste on ya, everyone in Toronto knows it's one of the classier Irish pubs. :)

Yep, love PJ's too, same owners I believe. We met a few ppl from Cork (They were working for Ireland fund of Canada) few years back and had a fantastic night in PJ's :)

What part of Ireland you from Walter?

My boyfriend is from Cork, he's been living over here since last July. I had lived in Cork with him prior to our move back. (I'm Canadian)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

By Go Train, you mean Union Station? Yes?

You might be referring to the "Irish Embassy", corner of Yonge and Wellington. If so, yes, it is a great pub, classy. Spent Paddy's Day there.

I'd guess it's a joke...if you turn on to Yonge st at Union station and walk to the very end, you might have sore feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

All of the bars I went to while I was there were between Queen and College on Spadina. But then I lived on Baldwin and was lazy.

Wasn't there a whole lot more conversation here before? About DVD players and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Lodgepole wrote:
    All of the bars I went to while I was there were between Queen and College on Spadina.

Thats Chinatown no???!!?

zuutroy wrote:
    Thats Chinatown no???!!?
    Yup. The El Macambo is around the area I mentioned, The Silver Dollar, Wide Open, The Horseshoe. A little west on College gets you to The Cloak & Dagger and Sneaky Dee's. Even a couple of nice smaller bars in Kensington Market. I lived just beside the LCBO in Chinatown. Oh, Grossmans too, good for a bit of live music.

zuutroy wrote:
    I'd guess it's a joke...if you turn on to Yonge st at Union station and walk to the very end, you might have sore feet.

i don't get the joke?
    maybe you have to be irish to get it?

Because of the length of Yonge St.

i guess if you turned left, sure.

that just.....wasn't funny.

Advertisement