Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubrovnik

Options
  • 22-03-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, im off to dubrovnik for a week in june. Planning on spending a few days in dubrovnink and a few days island hoping on the nearby islands. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

Bring a reason to go home, because you wont want to leave. Seriously.
    It will be full of Irish people, and you will find yourself in the Irish bar. Dubrovnik is a walled city in that the 'old town' (I always think that's a funny phrase to use for a part of a city) is walled off. You can get up and walk the circumference of the wall. You have to pay to do it, but it's cheap, and you get to see the whole city. Inside there's restaurants and the likes. The beaches are really good too. There's one just outside the wall beside the harbour. There's a funny little tradition at the other end of the city where you run up to a block sticking out of the wall, and have to keep you balance. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able take your top off over your head then.

43839709_dbcbdf9f7f_m.jpg

I went to a few islands while I was out there too, but I started up north in Split and moved south to Dubrovnik. I don't know how much time you're willing to spend on a ferry or how may islands you expect to see, but they've all got pretty much the same stuff on them (rings, banana boats etc). You can go caving and snorkelling on some of them too. I reckon the main restriction to you will be timetabling, because some of the ferrys don't go everyday. The best beach is on the island Bol. You can rent your own motor boat for an afternoon really cheaply too, and go exploring some of the smaller sattelite islands.

Food-wise, I hope you like fish and pizza. Croatia is great for both.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Not much else to do except relax! Sit on the beaches, go for a swim (beautiful water), rent a boat and just take off, relax and have some dinner (You'll be sick of fish and pizza!), relax and have a few beers, walk around and see the sites.

As mentioned, walking the town walls in Dubrovnik is a must. I'd also recommend the safari island tour on Hvar. You get taken out in a jeep and see some beautiful countryside and get some cultural facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I went for a week last September, flew into Dubrovnik, stayed for two days, rented a car and drove to Mostar, spent one day & night there, drove on to Sarajevo, spent a day & night there, and then drove back to Dubrovnik for a couple of days of relaxation before flying home. Dubrovnik is beautiful, but it reminded me a bit of the Powerscourt Townhouse centre. I'd definitely get to see Mostar & Sarajevo if I were you, it's worth it for the drive alone.

Advertisement