Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beware the con artists-anyone know about bike insurance

Options
  • 22-03-2006 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

just to let ye know to beware of a con artist.i lost a 700 euro bike to this fella the otherday. he had a pretty elaborate plan and knew a good bit about bikes. he was eastern european and setup an email and made contact about the bike several times over the phone. he also called up twice to have a look at the bike. he said he was looking at other bikes and wasnt fully decided. eventually he texted to say he would buy the bike. he turned up monday after work and left a laptop as security as he went for a spin-said he had just finished work as a programmer. alas he was not to return. after cutting open the laptop bag ( which was locked ) i found a telephone directory inside two wooden pieces. Chap seemed to know his stuff though and came across as being pretty decent. anyhow be warned and keep your eyes out for a red GT with rockshox as previously advertised...:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You have his phone number - report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Victor wrote:
    You have his phone number - report him.

What's your bet that the phone is a 'pay as you go' and the perp can't be traced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Get the word out there on all the cycling forums you can in Ireland and he'll find himself with a lot less in the way of customers. Only someone who was interested in MTB would buy this bike. It's just too much for anyone else to spend really. Sorry to hear about it. Go talk to a few of the bike shops in Dublin too. He obviously knew it was worth something and it wouldn't be worth his time taking it to a fence. Of course, he may be using it for his own use and not trying to sell it. What a complete knacker.

Oh, are you avalanche off MTBireland? I presume you were going to use the money from the GT to get a different bike as you were looking in some of the threads I was too. That's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

yep twas me on mtb ireland. am now bikeless.

keep an eye out for it though.tis pretty noticeable read and black,red rockshox,xt groupset, specialized armadillo slicks

ps. anybody know where insurance stands on this kind of thing? it is covered on house insurance but on my folks house which is in another town

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

keep an eye out for it though.tis pretty noticeable read and black,red rockshox,xt groupset, specialized armadillo slicks

ps. anybody know where insurance stands on this kind of thing? it is covered on house insurance but on my folks house which is in another town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

avalanche wrote:

As long as you reported in to the Gards you should be ok,

Advertisement